Community Radio

Still no sign of Valley FM, a week later

1 Like

I’ve been informed Valley FM is off-air indefinitely at this stage. I believe there is financial issues and lack of community support issues at play there.

3 Likes

Thanks. Even leading up to the close down there were many days when the station, esp in the afternoon, was just a carrier.

:rainbow_flag::rainbow_flag::rainbow_flag: JOY 94.9 may move to St Kilda, fantastic news as the old building in the CBD had old equipment and was in need of an upgrade.

Also the design is nice :grinning:

Should see if I can startup the overnight program that I’ve dreamed of :wink:

An “exuberant” architectural design has won the competition for the $38 million Victorian Pride Centre in St Kilda.

The winning design for the 5500 square metre Fitzroy Street space, which will be a hub for the LGBTQI community and support groups, will be announced by the state government on Sunday.

Organisations likely to move into the centre include JOY FM, the Victorian Aids Council, LGBTQI Multi Culture, Multi Faith and Team Melbourne, the Australian Lesbian and Gay Archives, Switchboard, Melbourne Queer Film Festival and Minus 18.

4 Likes

The Age used the wrong adjective. Try extravagant.

Good on JOY for being involved with this, so many within the community sector don’t move with the times very well.

1 Like

(conversation brought over from talking lifestyle thread)

vision is not a commercial operation. they are a registered charity.

the biggest downfall with vision is the use of the narrowcast transmitters. it makes it inpractical to use in the car and even for transmitters you’d need to almost be living on top of them. i have a vision transmitter within 5km of me and i can’t pull it in.

Prior to 96Five brisbane had no city wide christian radio station.

1 Like

Temporary Community Station 3OKR now on air on 97.1 from Wallan in Northern Melbourne, at a EIRP of 16.4W, faintly received from Inner Melbourne.

Edit: 97.1 not 91.7, the latter Is ABC Local Bendigo.

2 Likes

That’s a bit too close to Smooth 91.5?

Whoops, 97.1 is the frequency. I think that FM Stereo setting on the SDR has got to me :wink:

1 Like

Even then, the same frequency as 3MDR at Mt Dandenong is an interesting choice.

I would have gone for 95.9 - the ranges should provide a bit of a buffer from 96.1 Shepparton…

Not many spare frequencies there though.

99.7 / 99.5 would be a spare, but reserved for events. 95.9 would be a no-go because of the proximaty to SBS Radio Ballarat tx’ing at 1.64Kw EIRP

954KHz or 711 might be alright, tho the latter might co-channel with 3AW.

1 Like

They tried Newsradio in Ballarat (Mt Warrenheip) on 97.1 as a test but took it off within weeks because of IF from/to 3MDR. 3MDR’s elevated TX location means it gets out really well across most of Melbourne, can’t see 97.1 working too well in Wallan, you’d need to be the other side of the range to block it out properly

There’s not a lot of choice, but I’d go 98.3 - it co-channels with the flea-powered 3RPP translator in Frankston and the community station in Colac, neither of which should be as much an issue. Otherwise you may need to co-channel with Gippsland on say 95.1

2 Likes

What is the temp station in Wallan for?

I thought the Wallan repeater for OKR Kilmore (98.3) has been on air for a few years already?

Appears not.

If my knowledge of RRL serves correctly (though others will correct me), that will be the date when the licence was last renewed, given that OKR is still a TCBL

2 Likes

Yes - first approval seems to have been 1 Dec 2014.

2 Likes

Seems to be a quirk with TCBL’s and some full time systems.

For example, I pulled this one up from Hastings and it appers that this one is from 2007.

Anyway’s, it looks like that it’s a TCBL that has been extended over and over again.

91.6 2CR China Radio - Sydney on air 2-22 Feb 2018 in mono 200W V

1 Like

200 watt, lol

I’m 105 km north of Sydney as the crow flies and reception is better than 2OOO 98.5 which is “supposed” to be 25,000 watts.

And it’s nearly as good with the telescopic aerial horizontal as it is vertical.

There’s no tropo about to skew this.

3 Likes