Community Radio

They appear to have been operating since 2018, so they too have probably only recently come under ACMA’s control.

2 Likes

The BSLs for these two services are sequential - 1180038 for Pines FM and 1180039 for VL2NI.

3 Likes

HOPE 103.2 had their 6 monthly fund raiser over the past about 10 days, they were looking for about $2.25million & are only about $124,000 short.

Not exactly what I’d call a true community station, that much money could run some community stations for the next 10 years or longer.

They’ve got a number of paid staff, & studios & transmission equipment to rival (even better) most commercial stations, but still.

6 Likes

try calling them and seeing about getting trained to get on air and see how successful you might be - I know one community station that will train you for about $3500 with the chance to get on air… not even a guaranteed shift

2 Likes

On the whole I have no issue with Hope 103.2. My only possible concern though is seemingly trying to build a network with 96.5 FM Family Radio Brisbane and Salt 106.5 FM Sunshine Coast, which has led to the CEO, content director and chairman of Hope having equivalent positions at the other two stations. The three stations also share some board directors, and Hope has lent money to the other stations. From the Hope Financial Report 2020 submitted to the ACNC on 8 June:

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Jonathon Coleman - 1956-2020

Which one? Many stations try this.

i won’t name them here, but they have been named to ACMA

3 Likes

Fair enough :blush: Good that ACMA is investigating.

1 Like

A quick Google search finds that community radio stations offer training ranging from Free to $400. To expect someone to pay $3500 is rather steep … unless there is Certificate III or IV available at the end of it, and even then the CBF and state governments have funding available.

1 Like

That’s something I could do when I retire perhaps, still 5 years away though.

It’d be harder to get into here in Newcastle where there’s really only 1 community station (Christian radio doesn’t interest me).

In a smaller country town, it would be a great way to get involved in the local community.

3 Likes

This. I joined Braidwood FM not only to improve my radio and communication skills, but to give back to the local community. Nothing worse than a blow-in from Sydney!

Small regional community stations usually adopt a ‘fly by the seat…’ approach to training; more formal inductions are the norm in metro areas. The extent of my training was observing Pete (Diskon) for about half an hour…then I ‘drove the bus’! Though this probably wouldn’t be the norm as I already knew plenty about radio.

4 Likes

Depends how far you’re willing to travel to the studios, there’s Lake Macquarie FM (though they need new management & a complete overhaul really, to be worthwhile), there’s 50+ Gosford or Coast FM Gosford, you wouldn’t be the first person from Newcastle who travels to Coast FM to do a on air shift & wouldn’t be the last, there’s been a few people from Newcastle on Coast FM over the years, the current Country Music guy (noon Sundays) on Coast FM lives in Newcastle, it’s not that far to travel.

3 Likes

How does this work?
Obviously whoever pays the piper calls the tune

2 Likes

Yes if you’re footing the bill you can skew the results anyway you want.

4 Likes

Clearly the data has come from the Nambour RA1 but surprised that Zinc would do so poorly out of that list, and that 4GY doesn’t appear at all.

3 Likes

No love for Salt 106.5 either.

4 Likes

89.9 Hawkesbury Radio (NSW) has made some recent changes to their RDS.
They are now including weather details & COVID safe message in their RT feeds.
Most of their RT messages have changed. Now:-

The ORIGINAL Hawkesbury Radio 89.9FM
Hotline - 45 899 899
Textline - 0427 899 899
Tops of [weather details] Hawkesbury today. Stay safe!

DI changed to 13
Also (oddly) in their RDS feed, there’s AF details that now show frequencies of: 92.4, 100.4 & still 87.6MHz.

Can someone copy or move this post to the RDS forum. Maximum of 3 consecutive post limit.

2 Likes

98Five in Perth no longer simulcasts Nine News at 6. Have other Christian stations followed suit in dropping news simulcasts?

2 Likes

96five in Brisbane dropped the Seven News one last year.
Hope 103.2 in Sydney also dropped their Nine News simulcast sometime last year too.
Juice 107.3 on the Gold Coast still simulcasts the local Nine Gold Coast news bulletin and full Nine News Queensland hour at 6pm.

4 Likes