Climate, Weather and Emergencies

http://www.themercury.com.au/lifestyle/hot-hobart-burns-off-northern-cities-as-temperatures-nudge-30c/news-story/1efde5a3a701f763f079232c56803b2a

IT’S not a claim Hobart can make too often, but the capital could boast warmer temperatures than our traditionally hot interstate counterparts Brisbane, Cairns and Perth for much of Tuesday.

Bureau of Meteorology data showed that in Hobart, the mercury peaked at 29.8C at 3.16pm while Bushy Park, Grove and Hobart Airport all cracked 30C.

Brisbane managed a maximum of just 26.5C, Cairns 29.7C and Perth 27.6C.

It’s a worrying sign when the state is already getting consecutive days into the 30s considering it’s still only November and our traditionally hottest part of the summer season doesn’t start for many months yet! :neutral_face::fire:

3 Likes

Melbourne is ending 4 days of hot temperatures.

Complex and deep low moving over VIC now, bringing heavy rain/storms/flash flooding.

Humid too.

Very unseasonal. Was mid-30s Monday, 34 yesterday.

A decent storm went through Hobart but across most of Tasmania there’s been cloud and looking like it’s going to rain but not much at all. A lot of virga and some very threatening looking clouds but nothing at all, has been warm and humid too.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Rain that evaporates before it hits the ground, really cool because you can see it falling from the clouds and it looks like it should be pouring down but there’s barely a drop actually reaching the ground.

4 Likes

I love the heat and the weather that Melbourne has had this week (3 days over 30 degrees) although the downfall at this time of the year is the hayfever. So far this year I have got through and avoided it mostly just by taking an allergy tablet each day but the last couple of days have been the worst and a real struggle! Hopefully the pollen levels start reducing soon.

1 Like

:sneezing_face:

Totally agree. Luckily it hasn’t been so bad for me yet! There was this one year when it hit me really bad.

Strange, this is the first year I’ve ever had hayfever. The last few weeks have been awful.

1 Like

Yeah, a significant drop in temperature after 28 (30 degrees on Tuesday) with around 15 degrees in roughly the same amount of time as the storm passed over the South.

Only got to a top of around 13 degrees today but the cooler weather is brief as it heats back up to the mid-20s by the weekend and into early next week.

1 Like

Which is strange, going from 30 to 13 in a day meanwhile in the North it was warmer on the second day than the first. My weather station at home peaked at 25 degrees but only reached 23 the day before and even Devonport Airport notorious for not reaching past 21 degrees went to 23 degrees yesterday and 22 the day before.

1 Like

Loving the rain today (as is the garden)

1 Like

Yeah I was walking to lunch in New Farm then and got soaked. Should’ve driven :frowning:

2 Likes

The Bureau of Meteorology has warned of thunderstorm and heavy rain across Victoria this Friday and Saturday.

“10/10” weather event across Melbourne/VIC over next few days.

Worst since early 2005 floods.

Not even going to attempt to link, media already going nuts ☇:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:☈:sun_behind_rain_cloud::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_snow::cloud_with_lightning::zap::closed_umbrella::umbrella::open_umbrella:

I hope all of our fellow Victorian Media Spyers get through the next 48-72 hours without any real issues.

As a Novocastrian who has been through a few major events of 300ml of rain in 3 days with howling winds and floods, it isn’t much fun…

3 Likes

After a month of heatwaves and several temperature records for daily records and monthly records across Tasmania in November, the first few days of Summer have brought over a hundred mm of rain to several places and now several cm’s of snow across the state too!

5 Likes

41 degree sizzler in Melbourne on Saturday :fire:

Feel for the 80,000 odd at the MCG for the derby BBL game.

Hopefully the chilly Port Phillip Bay can warm up a tad in this weeks sun, low 30s on Friday, so everyone can enjoy a soak on Sat :beach_umbrella:

Yes, I live 5min from beautiful beaches, but I’ll always be jealous of NSW / QLD for… Water temperature

1 Like

It’s forecast to be 45 degrees in parts of Sydney’s west on Sunday.

Fortunately for cricketers and spectators on the 4th Day of the final Ashes Test, it will, be a somewhat milder 37 degrees.

Evening southerly change, hopefully early evening.

1 Like