Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Oppressive heat hit parts of Europe. Paris has hit a top over Just over 40 degrees. Hottest summer day ever on record for Paris.
The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Belgium, Southern UK has experienced blistering heat. London has had a very hot day today. I’ve seen parts of UK that have nudged 40 degrees. Too damn hot!

Europe having a few 40 degree days is extremely rare for this time of year. Perth has more days of 40 degrees compared to Paris and parts of Germany.
2 Likes

Neither Paris nor Germany has ever seen 40C, so yeag

4 Likes

The European Heatwave of 2019 Is trending and Beijing has started its oppressive weather with temperatures predicting to soar to 39 degrees tomorrow with heat index to 44 degrees.

1 Like

Yes, it’s almost as if there’s something changing about the climate which we need to do something about before it’s too late…

As much as I personally hope this does not happen, with the way things have been going recently I sadly wouldn’t be overly surprised if temperature records are broken here in Australia during Summer 2019-20.

2 Likes

I think climate change is The big factor for European heatwave and Beijing heatwave. Strong southerly winds from Africa blew into Europe. Pollution is getting worse particularly in Beijing and in parts of Europe.
I think that the climate outlook for 2019-20 will be a drier and hotter summer.

2 Likes

While the southeast of the country is experiencing a really cold snap at the moment, today we’ve just had an unseasonably warm 32°C day up here in Townsville.

2 Likes

thats sounds better then ballarats 6 degrees day we had a fell like of -8 last night

1 Like

From a Sydney perspective, I’m definitely looking forward to the next time of year we’ll have maximum temperatures regularly starting with a 2 and minimum temperatures regularly starting with a 1.

That said, we still need more rain (been a fairly dry Winter so far) with nothing significant on the forecast for at least a week! :confused:

1 Like

Albany in WA & Robe in SA would come close to Portland VIC for the title of having the coolest summer temps in the mainland outside of the Alps. :slight_smile:

Of course all of those places front the Southern Ocean/Great Australian Bight, where most of the cool air comes from.

2 Likes

It was snowing in Canberra during the first half of tonight’s AFL match between GWS and Hawthorn. The crowd cheered when snow began to fall. Later, I saw tweets reminding people that snow fell during the NRL clash between the Raiders and the Tigers in Canberra in 2000.

2 Likes

Credit: newcastleknights108

3 Likes

I thought you mean Hawthorn.

1 Like

The ABC reported snow in Tumut (with photo) as well as Harden. Tumut is only 305 m ASL so this is quite significant. Cold airmasses arriving from the SW are almost always colder on the west side of the ranges and precipitation is more significant there too. Canberra, despite being nearly twice the elevation of Tumut and at the same latitude, only received flurries.

Snow videos from Blackheath and Shooters Hill near Oberon.

@SydneyCityTV- we’ve had regular 20C days all the way through ‘winter’ so I’m not sure what you’re complaining about. Soon enough those 20s will turn to 30s and then I’ll be the one complaining…

3 Likes

Temps in SEQ today up to 29

After a foggy start to the day for much of the city and valleys to the west

3 Likes

It’s still August, but Perth has today recorded its first 30°C+ day of the “warm season”, in which it reached 30.0°C near Perth CBD & 30.2°C at Swanbourne (coastal suburbs)! :scream:

Back on the east coast, Western Sydney can expect a top of 29°C next Wednesday.

3 Likes

But at least 7 days of wet weather are forecast after record winter warmth (with approx. 100mm expected to fall in this period), with daytime temps averaging around 20.

Count yourselves lucky. :slight_smile:

That said, Sydney is expecting wet weather from tomorrow until Saturday, up to around 100mm over the next 3 days.

Over the month of August so far, the rainfall in Sydney CBD is only 7.4mm & just 0.6mm in Penrith. Perth, on the other hand, has recorded 77mm of rain, with more to come.
Since 1st June, Sydney CBD has received 222.2mm of rain & Penrith only 61.6mm, whilst over in Perth, it’s close to 400mm.

2 Likes

Perth has had two days in two weeks with temperatures over 30 degrees. Today, Perth had a top of 33 degrees, the 2nd hottest September day on record. The low humidity has got to drive the hot conditions into Perth.

1 Like

Melbourne has had a minimum temperature of just over 20 degrees in September. This was the first time in it’s Melbourne weather history that Melbourne had a 20 degree minimum in September.

2 Likes

The report I saw suggested that it was actually Melbourne’s warmest September night in 18 years rather than the warmest on record?

4 Likes