Classification

I don’t wanna see a guy stick his dick in an Apple pie

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:79, topic:348”]Are they trying to get a younger audience watching?[/quote] If they are, they’re going about it the wrong way, have you seen the stuff kids watch on YouTube!

And again tonight…

They aired “Spider Man 2” (M on DVD) at 7:30pm.

Classified PG tonight, with the violence edited to “mild” (i.e.) that operating theatre secne

The old AV15+ classification. The most pointless classification ever. AV15+ is exactly the same as MA15+. About time they scrapped it a few years ago

2 Likes

Didn’t know AV15+ has gone. There is something showing on SBS Perth now and my EPG says AV15+

1 Like

SBS never used AV. They had their own MAV classification instead, as the public broadcasters have their own codes of practice and classifications.

1 Like

I believe that the AV classification was axed as part of a few commercial TV classification changes (I think the changes to how they’re allowed to do viewer advice was another one of them) on December 1 last year.

Something I picked-up in the EPG.

7Flix are airing the 2001 movie “Hannibal” (Anthony Hopkins") on Friday night at 11pm.

The film was actually classified R18+ “high impact violence” by the classification review board, after a request 15 years ago. That was the final classification. The DVD thereafter had that classification

But for some reason the DVD re-release around 2005/2006 onwards, has accidently been using the INCORRECT "MA15+ “high level violence” classification from before the review.

The classification review boards report is here: http://www.classification.gov.au/About/Documents/102+-+34th+Meeting+-+15th+22nd+February+2001.pdf

Ch 7’s classification department have classified the film “MA15+ - strong violence”.

So it will be interesting to see what version (classification board - incorrect or classification review board - correct) of the classification report Ch 7 have used to assist them in making that decision (as all networks use to assist in classifying films).

Because if the “high impact” (R18+) scenes in the film are intact & broadcast free-to-air (as the review board made the final decision in 2001)…

Ch 7 are in breach of the FTA code! :open_mouth:

(This is what happens when home entertainment/DVD distributors stuff-up the correct classification on the cover).

Let me guess Luke…you’re going to be watching 7Flix’s airing of “Hannibal” tomorrow night and filing an ACMA complaint if you find anything that’s a breach of the ACMA Commercial TV Code of Practice? :wink:

2 Likes

Of course not. I just thought it was worth a mention. For all I know Ch 7 probably picked it up & have edited the movie.

2 Likes

The Blu-ray of what is referred to as the ‘Original’ so presumably it is uncut was classified MA 15+ in 2009. So I doubt there is any problem??

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=KkaE1m6HxGfyKpnKgH5rCA%3d%3d&ncdctx=adqP5VLfBT5CIv9UH1EZq1x%2fD1RSzwTHpC8IzwdSHAtPpPyHqNY%2BZBWMRiUx5z24

1 Like

You could forgive Ch 7 for being a bit confused…

Well that just makes the Classification Board look amateur! Review board gave the original version R18+ (after being classified MA15+) & in 2009 they classify the film again with MA15+ :disappointed:

I know if happens a lot (with banned films being submitted for re-classification) but this instance it weird.

NB/
Remember, in Australia, all “Blu-Ray” editions are classified seperately to the original classification for DVD anyway. Has always seemed to be the case.

So if there wasn’t a Blu-Ray edition, there wouldn’t have been a new classification & it should still be R18+?

Standards change over time - certain things that would be too high impact for MA decades ago would be fine now. Sometimes it even goes in the other direction - ever since the R rating for video games was introduced, content that previously would get MA ratings has increasingly ended up in R.

Classifying again is a cost, but there can be a sales difference between MA and R - particularly as some retailers don’t stock R rated material, or need to stock it in different areas - hence a push for getting the lower rating on borderline titles.

1 Like

Absolutely :slight_smile:

(e.g.)
“Man With No Name” (Clint Eastwood western trilogy) from the 60s, Dirty Harry films from the 70s, some of Martin Scorsese’s films, etc.

BUT… Not a fairly recent film from 2001!?

It was 15 years ago.

2 Likes

Well, compared to ~45 years ago?

Standards are constantly changing. What wasn’t acceptable in 2011 is now etc. You can’t view it through 2001 eyes.

1 Like

Yeah that situation with video games and no R rating was ridiculous. Even now, Game of Thrones airs on Foxtel with an MA15+ but always ends up with an R rating by the OFLC for Blu-ray/DVD. Both versions are apparantely identical and I doubt blu-ray/DVD extras cause the R rating.

1 Like

They wouldn’t be identical.

Networks’ classification officers are trained to clearly know the difference between content that is ‘strong in impact’ (MA) & ‘high in impact’ ®.

(e.g.)
Network Ten had to edit an episode of "American Horror Stor"y earlier this year, because it contained a couple of scenes that were R18+ (high impact), which they determined theirselves. And the DVD / blu-ray season obviously hadn’t been made or classified yet, as it is a television show (new episode).

As with all new television episodes on all networks.

According to lifehacker, TV and blu-ray/DVD versions are identical.

Foxtel broadcasts Game of Thrones “live”, so they can’t edit premiere episodes. If someone wanted to be a real arsehole, they could probably make a complaint to ACMA and stop GoT from being live fast tracked. How archaic would that make us look. Hopefully exemptions exist for ‘live’ content.

1 Like