Classification

Interestingly, last week’s unedited ep, which is used as the ‘encore’ late at night later in the week, was still only M (previous week’s was MA), suggesting that it was the same as the first run and didnt exceed that level to require editing. Appears to be an intentionally less ‘full on’ series comapred to Ramsays, even thought it shares the same title and premise.

The UK and US versions are both called Kitchen Nightmares but have completely different tones and editing styles, and two very different depictions of Ramsay.

2 Likes

moved to appropriate thread

Really? Wouldn’t someone with experience in censorship and broadcast program editing be required, probably different teams but there’d need to be very close communication between the two as well (such as very specific frames let alone scenes and often meticulous or special skills). So I’d imagine that’d actually be departments within the networks themselves (some have been there for many decades like Nine’s chief sometimes interviewed by TVT) not the playout centres (like Eveleigh, North Sydney, Pyrmont, Ultimo and Artarmon), who would prepare the file to ingest for the playout teams.

1 Like

Sorry, I was replying assuming he was talking about someone to choose the correct movie, not who had edited the film.

1 Like

I’m not too sure whether this still happens or not but why did 9,7 and 10 all show R-rated movies but always have them in the guide and on their channels as AV the supposed (adult violence rating) that the channels were or are still using. Seriously what’s the point of that?

I don’t understand the question, what’s the point in airing a movie?

Because the TV classification ratings was different to the cinema classification ratings.

You couldn’t show what was allowed in cinemas on television without edits. I guess TV didn’t use R because it wasn’t the same as the cinema classification.

4 Likes

do streaming services need to classify their content? I thought tv classification is for broadcast only?

Are they using tv or olfc guidelines?

Yes they do.

1 Like

Interestingly, when I had Foxtel, I remember they did actually use the R classification for movies. I didn’t look into it but assumed they were allowed to show movies uncut because it was subscription. Wasn’t sure if the R classification was added just for subscription.

They still do this now. They get around it due to the parental lock feature. However I’ve noticed recently they will show a MA restricted version on the movie channel then only have the R rated version via ondemand. 0

Just looked this up on the Australian Government website: Classification categories | ALRC.

These are for Television:

Classification Descriptor
P Pre-school
C Children
G General
PG Parental Guidance
M Mature
MA 15+ Mature Audience. Not suitable for people under 15
MAV 15+ Not suitable for people under 15: Strong Violence
AV Adult Violence
R 18+ Restricted
1 Like

Not sure why we still have both MAV and AV, I recall seeing SBS using MAV years ago.

It was to distinguish particularly ‘violent’ content from the commensurate MA rating (i.e.) any MA-level violence or violence of strong impact was instead given AV. There was otherwise no difference, apart from AV couldn’t be until 9:30pm vs MA’s 9pm. I believe at the time it was created, it was seen within society that violence was the most taboo element, if that makes any sense?

Yep, usually the World Movies channel and it’d automatically require a pin to unlock.

And yes Foxtel also edit for content, but they’re Code is less carefully handled than FTA.

Yes. In 2015 AV15+ and MAV15+ was abolished and turned into MA15+. If I am correct episodes of South Park/Family Guy that had strong violence were rated MA15+, AV15+ was never used.

Why does this list not include the E and X classifications? It does mention X further down in the list but E isn’t even mentioned. Is this no longer used?

That list is for television.

X content is not permitted on television.

E is for “exempt”? Never seen that used on television.

Isn’t E for Education?

I don’t know, you’re the one that mentioned it?

1 Like