Classic TV Listings

For many years it was reportedly the highest rating program in Sydney, though I don’t think it ever made any ratings lists as it was too short.

2 Likes

Nowadays, if Lotto draws still rated, the networks would make it a 15 minute show, and split coding into “Lotto Draw - Introduction”, “Lotto Draw - Balls Drop”, “Lotto Balls - Post Drop Interview” :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

in Melbourne in the 1980s Tattslotto would be dragged out to 10 minutes but the other 2 commercial channels would try and stop people turning over to 7 at 9.30pm by flashing up the Tattslotto numbers on screens immediately after the draw

Good to see that pettiness between the networks stretches way back.

1 Like

My late father would never go to bed before the lotto numbers were televised. No matter what channel he was watching, he’d miss the end of a show and turn over in plenty of time to make sure he caught the numbers. He wouldn’t wait to get the numbers from the newspaper the next day and using a computer was completely beyond him. He wouldn’t even touch an ATM. In the years before he passed, just as the televised draws were being dropped, he’d ring me late at night in a rage to read him the numbers from the website.

2 Likes

Kerry Packer, Rupert Murdoch and Robert Sangster jointly owned Lotto Management Services, the company that owned the Lotto licence with NSW State Lotteries when Lotto launched in 1979. That’s why the draw was on TCN-9. State Lotteries took over full ownership of Lotto in 1989.

2 Likes

…and presumably after NSW Lotteries took full control of Lotto, Nine signed some form of long term agreement (which of course has since expired with the final draw airing on Nine in Late 2013 - I think they’re buried somewhere on 7TWO now) for the broadcast of the draws?

Today’s TV: 23.3.1974, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

• The Saturday morning battle includes Hey Hey It’s Saturday on Nine and Do It On Saturday on Seven.
  • Movie matinees on Channels 7, 9 and 0
  • Kids shows in the late afternoon include The Curiosity Show, This Week Has Seven Days, What In The World (from TVW7 Perth) and Junior Jury (from SAS10 Adelaide).
  • Denis Walter is a guest on Young Talent Time
  • And then more variety (and the trots) with The Penthouse Club including Tattslotto draw 89.
3 Likes

Looks like a junior version of Jeopardy as well. Not sure who their opponents were but Hawthorn / East Melbourne won the district cricket final on ABV.

Robin Jolley as guest on YTT, what’s the bet he sung Marshall’s Portable Music Machine. Had that on a scratched up 45, always got stuck on ebony!

Credit to NZOZ72

As an aside, love it how you (and a couple of others) post entire listings as they appeared, rather than typing listings out. Adds so much more.

thank you but don’t go reading my blog. They’re all typed up there :grinning: Mostly so that they can be searchable

1 Like

Today’s TV: 24.3.1967, Victoria

Source: Listener In-TV

The Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal is on HSV7 from 8.30am to 6.30pm, then 10pm to midnight.

2 Likes

Family Feud if I recall was during the brief time that Daryl Sommers hosted it.
New Price Is Right was Ian Turpie
Close. As a kid I thought was some kind of show until realising it was the end of transmission

1 Like

I have vague memories of it too. Don’t recall if it was one of a number of shows that Big Dog appeared on

3 years isn’t exactly brief. But once Daryl left and Sandy Scott took over. That was brief. Only lasted a few months after that handover IIRC

Today’s TV: 27.3.1998, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

• Melissa Doyle and David Koch host an early version of Sunrise
  • Andrew Daddo and Anne Fulwood host Eleven AM
  • Ten’s teen soap Breakers appears late at night with a repeat the following weekday
  • Naomi Robson on Today Tonight battles it out with Ray Martin on A Current Affair
  • Round 1 of AFL kicks off on Seven at 8.30pm, followed by the late news with Georgie Gardner
1 Like

Yeah good point and I do have memories of Sandy Scott hosting as well. My memories are fuzzy at best as I was a toddler at that point in time.

Bold & The Beautiful at 1pm? I swear they moved it to 4:30pm earlier than 1998.

Maybe they bumped it back to make room for Breakers? :wink:

EDIT: actually that must be what happened because TB&TB was on at 4.30pm in 1996

2 Likes

You are right there, but they did a shuffle around during 1998. Here is a TV guide for 27 November 1998 for Melbourne, which showed, Bold and the Beautiful back in its 4:30pm timeslot, Breakers at 3:30pm and Judge Judy back in its 1pm timeslot.

http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv271198

Today’s TV: 31.3.1975, Melbourne

Source: TV Times

• It’s Easter Monday, and the Stawell Gift is live on ABC and HSV7
  • Seven also has some afternoon game shows, Name That Tune with Tony Barber, and High Rollers with Garry Meadows and Delvene Delaney. These come after Seven’s daytime soap from Brisbane, Until Tomorrow.
  • Romper Room on ATV0 is the Adelaide-based production from SAS10, featuring Michele Kenny as Miss Michelle
  • The Graham Kennedy Show is still going a few weeks after the “crow call” incident. Nine had banned Kennedy from appearing live to air after the incident, so presumably this episode was pre-recorded. The show ended shortly after, although despite the controversy Nine didn’t sever ties with Kennedy completely. He continued to appear as a panellist on shows like Celebrity Squares and he was back on 9 the following year for its 20th anniversary special. But then he signed up with Reg Grundy to host Blankety Blanks for 0-10.
3 Likes