Classic TV Listings

Network 10 - no coverage on ABQ2 in Brisbane only regional stations. The coverage was in association with WBZ 4 - CBS Boston and also shown on BBC according to commentary.

Rob Mundle ABDQ 3

On TVQ

4 Likes

Gosh, NTD-8 were well behind with The Sullivans - some four years or so, it would seem.

Seven Adelaide appear to be showing Sons and Daughters in an hour long format, but are roughly on par with Sydney and Melbourne in the storyline. The program was less than a month old at the time of course.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 17.2.1992 Canberra

Source: Canberra Times via Trove

• Winter Olympics from Albertville, France, Nine/WIN had 4.5 hours of highlights coverage
  • That’s a lot of description in the TV guide for the movie “Next of Kin” on Prime
  • Prime had a 5 minute local news bulletin inbetween Seven Nightly News and Real Life.
  • WIN called their local news “WIN Nightly News”
  • Capital had their Canberra-produced Eyewitness News at 5pm in line with the other cities.
  • Supermarket Sweep hosted by Ian Turpie and sponsored by Coles on WIN at 5pm, it took over the slot from the popular Bugs Bunny Show with Sophie Lee.
  • Sale of the Century aired at 5.30pm to make room for local news and A Current Affair was at 7.00pm (Sale’s metro timeslot)
  • Tonight Live with Steve Vizard, the last time Australia tried a Letterman-styled five night a week late night chat show, on Prime at 11pm.
  • No infomercials, Capital and Prime closed down for the night and WIN carried a TCN9 dirty feed overnight.
2 Likes

Prime and Capital/NRTV regions started airing Infomercials either late in 1992 or early 1993 in overnight slots. Nine/Win were the lasts commercial channels to slate Infomercials in the late night slots.

Their stint at a 5pm timeslot didn’t last long, as just 2 weeks after that guide, Capital moved their bulletin back to 6pm.

That was between the time after they had axed their 30 minute bulletin in May 1991, and a little over a year before they re-entered the local news race by launching a 1-hour composite bulletin to compete head-on with Capital, poaching a lot of staff, including its news director (Ken Begg) & main newsreader (Geoff Hiscock), from there.

Also, by that point, the ABC had axed its Canberra TV news bulletin, which had occurred in August 1991, and has since relayed the NSW bulletin. They would re-start their local TV news bulletin for Canberra in September 2001, which is still on-air to this day.

2 Likes

In the 1989 NRL grand Final, ABC had the game and and David Morrow was the caller with Warren Boland and John Peard, while Ten also had the game with Ian Maurice and Graeme Hughes calling. But since both networks showed the game uninterrupted, it likely wasn’t a big deal. Now in Melbourne, the ABC aired the VFA grand final, while Ten had the NRL grand final, both at the same time.

1 Like

As far as NRL, there was one time when Manly vs Parramatta was televised at 8:30pm (1hr delay) followed by the replay of Melbourne vs Norths at 10:30pm. But the Melbourne vs Norths game aired live on Fox Sports at 6.30pm.

I don’t think infomercials started until 1995, which is when Pay TV started.

As I recall when Prime re-started 24 hour transmissions in 1994 at first it was a straight relay of Seven programming.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 17.2.1975, Perth / Bunbury:

• Colour TV was still a few weeks away but if you were one of the few households with a colour set you could watch some colour test patterns before the news!
  • Perth not being part of the network structure of the eastern states presented some unusual programming, such as Here’s Humphrey and Division 4 (both Nine Network productions) showing on TVW7 and Number 96 (0-10 Network) also on 7.
  • TVW7 also had daytime soaps Days Of Our Lives and The Young And The Restless (making its debut) although both were Nine Network titles elsewhere.

The only other station in WA then was VEW8 in Kalgoorlie, at the back of the main listing:

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 18.2.1979 Melbourne

Source: The Age Green Guide

• World of Sport on HSV7 was an extended edition live from the World Sports Expo which was held at the Royal Exhibition Buildings in Carlton, this was followed by “Music for the People” a free televised concert held at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl.
  • Sporting events included the Victorian Open Golf Championships and the Rothmans International Motor Racing from Surfers Paradise, both on the ABC. ATV0 had an afternoon of boxing with several title fights live from the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney.
  • The UNICEF Concert “A Gift of Song” featuring the Bee Gees, Rita Coolidge, ABBA, Donna Summer among others was telecast on ATV0 at 7.30pm. Following it was the Victorian TV premiere of the movie “What’s Up Doc”.
  • Phillip Brady hosted late night movies on GTV9.
  • Paul Konik, who recently retired from radio at 3NE Wangaratta, read the 7pm news on ABC.
1 Like

Were the Perth stations still relying on taped content or did they have links to the eastern states?

The microwave east-west link was opened in 1970 and i think used by both ABC and commercial stations. I suspect a lot of programs were still sent over on tapes though.

1 Like

Imagine if the ABC had multi channels when they had all those sporting rights. Seems inconceivable to interrupt the final round of a golf tournament for some motor racing.

I do recall in the early 1990s, some of the lesser golf tournaments ended up on SBS but as a full ABC production whilst other events took precedence on ABC.

cheers, I recall reading (it may have been in Kerry Stokes’ biography) that the use of tapes was a significant factor in delaying Ten into the west

I gather the microwave link, while available, was probably still very expensive to utilise so was probably only used for time sensitive things like news and sport. Aussat, which was probably well overdue, did a lot to bring WA closer to the eastern states in technical terms!

the ABC tried to get its paws on SBS in the 1980s which would have essentially created an “ABC2”.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I actually thought that NRTV started screening infomercials overnight and during the day in 1992 or 1993 (I remember on Saturday mornings they aired a Century 21 real estate show with an infomercial), i guess i could be wrong and it could have been as late as 1995

Today’s TV: 19.2.1981 Canberra, Wollongong and the Riverina

Source: Canberra Times via Trove

• The Golden Racquet Challenge, a tennis exhibition match between Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe live from the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney, was relayed from TCN9 to CTC7 and RVN2. Neither of these players took part in the previous year’s Australian Open (it was held in December back then, McEnroe first competed in 1982, and Borg competed once, in 1974 (he lost in the third round and never competed there again)).
  • CTC7 and WIN4 both had a half hour local news from 6pm, while RVN2 only had 15 minutes of local news at 6.15pm.
  • Anyone know what the programme “Most Important Person” was? As it was on both WIN4 and RVN2/AMV4 it may be a networked programme syndicated to regional stations.
  • Holiday, a travel series hosted by the late Bill Peach was on the ABC
  • Chemicals in Agriculture, a five minute ICI commercial promoting its farm chemicals, airs on RVN2 at 8.25pm before the Golden Racquet Challenge tennis.
1 Like

Top night for me! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

and you can bet that CTC7 stuck to those exact program times :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If only it were the case today…

2 Likes