Classic TV Listings

The Bill, Birds of a Feather, and The Late Show - good Saturday night lineup on the ABC.

5 Likes

my parents used to watch these shows every Saturday night (as did a lot of other people), I especially watched The Late Show.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 20 June 2006, Perth
Source: THe west Australian

SBS had FIFA Fever during the 2006 World Cup in Germany. As well, the SBS Network had the FIFA World Cup Show hosted by the late Les Murray in Berlin.

3 Likes

The Same Day the BBC announced that Top of the Pops was Cancelled after 42 Years.

Today’s TV: 21 May 2005, Perth
Source: The West Australian

On that night, Channel nine and WIN showed the Wimbledon. I believed that WA had to suffer through a delayed telecast of the Wimbledon coverage back in the days. This was due to CSI taking priority.
Start of the end for The Price is Right. The ratings used to be OK back until the end of 2004. But the start of 2005 saw the ratings rise for Seven’s game show Deal or No Deal. Ten News at Five might have been ahead of Deal or No Deal by a slim margin during that year.

4 Likes

Top of the Pops annual Christmas specials are still going

I’m pretty sure Ten News at Five was way out in front. Easily doing 1m back then.

3 Likes

It’s a shame Deal dominated for as long as it did. I never got the hype for it but I suppose people liked how simple it was and that you didn’t have to answer trivia questions or play a bunch of games to win a decent amount of money like you would of TPIR, Wheel of Fortune or today with The Chase and Hot Seat.

5 Likes

Today’s TV: JUne 22 2012, Perth
Source: The West Australian.

I noticed that Perth had the NRL games shown during primetime on 9GEM but they had the replay on NIne during the midnight. I still don’t know why they insist of having replays of NRL matches on Nine.
On the other hand, the AFL was shown at 7pm on Seven Perth (But on a delayed telecast). For many years, Friday Night footy was shown on delayed telecast but with the rise of digital channels, games would be shown live on 7mate the following year!

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 22.6.2008, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

9 Likes

AFL at 10.30pm?

That would’ve been the game received live in Sydney and Brisbane. Back in the 2007-11 AFL rights era, if the Sydney Swans or Brisbane Lions (or Gold Coast Suns in 2011) were playing in the Sunday 1:10pm timeslot, Seven would’ve been required to show that match into both markets, in lieu of the 2:10pm game (which would otherwise be shown live in those markets) which would be replayed at midnight.

In Melbourne, the game that aired on delay at 10:30pm would’ve been shown live into Sydney and Brisbane.

I remember back then, Sydney would receive Brisbane Lions games live, unless the Swans were playing in the 2:10pm match, and vice versa in Brisbane (whereby they would also receive Swans games live, unless the Lions or Suns were playing in the 2:10pm match). However, I do remember Brisbane receiving a match between Collingwood and the Adelaide Crows in lieu of a match between the Swans and Hawthorn in 2011.

There was also the odd occasion where Seven in Sydney and Brisbane would show a random 1:10pm match not involving either the Swans or Lions/Suns in lieu of a match involving either the Adelaide Crows or Port Adelaide, the reasons for which I don’t know.

2 Likes

Very interesting way of doing it.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 23 June 2008, Perth
Source: The west Australian.

After 8 years, TEN NEws Perth moved back to the west. It was great to see Perth news back to where it belong after 8 years in Sydney studios.
This was the beginning of the end for Million Dollar WHeel of FOrtune on NIne. MIllion Dollar Wheel of Fortune was beaten heavily by Seven’s Deal or No Deal and Ten News at Five. Very poor audience numbers and reviews saw the cancellation of this game show.
To make matters worse, Big Brother was shown at 4am on WIN. This was a bad decision by WIN to move BB.

2 Likes

MDWOF would end June 27 after just five weeks on air.

1 Like

Angela Tsun with the weather now at 7 Perth

2 Likes

Following in the same footsteps as Natalia Cooper, whom she had replaced at STW-9.

4 Likes

Comic Saaaaaaaaaaaans :grimacing::grimacing:

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 24.6.1972, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 24 June 2010, Perth
Source: The West Australian.

I noticed that Nine televised a ODI cricket match between England and Australia (during the 2nd half). This simply backfired its telecast. To make matters worse, Nine televised small amounts of Wimbledon. This was the end for Nine’s Wimbledon Tennis coverage after 40 years due to dwindling ratings.
Start of the end for WIN WA - WIN used to televise both Nine and TEN programming back in the early days. This was due to the launch of new licence, Ten West Regional aka, West Digital Television. During that year, WIN would still show a bit of Ten programming, while TEN West was a simulcast of Ten Perth.

5 Likes