Classic TV Listings

Wow, never realised that was the case.

Today’s TV: 24 June 1968, Brisbane:

and South East Queensland and Lismore, NSW:

Source: TV Week

• Plenty of Australian shows during the daytime, including dramas: Girl Talk, Dita, The Unloved, Motel, People In Conflict, Beauty And The Beast, Tommy Hanlon Show, Divorce Court, The Marriage Game, Everybody’s Talking
  • The Marriage Game actually appears twice, at 3pm and 6.30pm. It’s unclear if one is a repeat of the other or if they did indeed do two episodes a day – which is possible.
  • In Melbourne Tonight is broadcast as The Graham Kennedy Show (probably as a highlights package rather than live from Melbourne)
  • Pop group The Executives guest star in Skippy The Bush Kangaroo
  • Bob Santamaria hosts Point Of View, late night on Channel 9
  • BP Pick A Box is not only on BTQ7 but also on DDQ10/SDQ4, WBQ8 and RTN8/5.
4 Likes

It was mentioned on 4KQ Sixties Sunday (?) last week that when TVQ started a number of well-known programs changed from Seven to O including Bewitched and The Flintstones and some shows appeared for the first time in Brisbane on O - I think they mentioned Gilligan’s Island. Also, in 1968 TVQ did not have a news service.

The Flintstones possibly came across from 7 because it was already a few seasons in by the time the 0 and 10 stations came along, but I think Bewitched started on the 0 and 10 channels in their respective cities.

Bonanza was a Channel 7 series for a number of years before it got picked up by the upcoming ITS 0-10 channels.

1 Like

Is anyone else having trouble with MediaSpy on a phone device? Can’t scroll properl any more or zoom on a doc

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Issues, Ideas, Suggestions

Today’s TV: 1 July 1987, Adelaide:

Source: TV Week

And the same day for Melbourne:

Source: TV Scene (the last edition)

• For those of a certain demographic the day meant only one thing… the wedding of Scott and Charlene in Neighbours.

• In Melbourne, Hey Dad! was in an early series on Seven and Nine was making its way through a repeat of the Anzacs mini-series, starring Paul Hogan in his first dramatic role.

• Channel 7 in both Adelaide and Melbourne have an early-morning Cartoon Connection but both appear to be showing different cartoons. Melbourne was receiving the Sydney-based program hosted by Michael Horrocks and Alex Wileman. I would guess that ADS7 in Adelaide had its own program/hosts.

• Pot Luck with Ernie Sigley, the show mercilessly sent up by The Late Show some years later, is on ATV10 in Melbourne at midday, and SAS10 in Adelaide at 3pm. I can’t be certain but I believe the show was actually taped at SAS10?

• In Adelaide only NWS9 is broadcasting overnight, while all three commercial channels in Melbourne are on all night.

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 2.7.1982, Melbourne:

Source: The Australian Women’s Weekly/TV And Entertainment World

• Tim Webster hosts the talent quest You’re A Star on Channel Ten, and Joe Hasham hosts the variety show Cabaret on Channel 0/28.
  • The National Today Show comes to the end of its first week
  • WROK was a music video show simulcast between Channel Ten and 3XY. A Sydney version was also produced and simulcast with 2SM.
  • Barry Crocker hosted the game show It Could Be You, a remake of the 1960s show hosted by Tommy Hanlon Jnr.
  • Both Channels 7 and 10 have their own versions of Beauty And The Beast. Seven’s had Derryn Hinch as the beast, and Ten had John Laws (later replaced by Clive Robertson).
  • The World Cup soccer is covered only with an hour of highlights each night on ABC.
  • Ten’s Friday night movie is Cool Hand Luke, the movie that provided the theme song to Channel 9 news
  • Ilona Komesaroff, Seven’s weather girl in Seven National News, reads the late edition news.

Chances are that I would have been watching The Muppet Show followed by CHiPs!

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 3.7.1980, Sydney plus Newcastle, Wollongong, Canberra:

Source: The Australian Women’s Weekly/Your TV Magazine.

• Interesting choice of movie for Channel Ten at 9am. Also unusual given that Ten hasn’t got a morning movie on any other weekday and starts programming at 7am on this day with the Commonwealth Bank Cup , while starting at 9am on the other weekdays.
  • The Lost Islands, the children’s series that didn’t really take off in the 1970s (but sold well overseas), is still playing in re-runs.
  • Even then we were watching David Attenborough, this time with Life On Earth on ABC at 7.30pm.
  • Seven’s drama double Cop Shop and Skyways up against Hawaii Five-O on Nine and movie on Ten (remember when movies were “Modified TV Version”?)
  • Channel 9, NBN3, WIN4 and CTC7 all cross to Wimbledon overnight.
2 Likes

I loved that show when I was a kid. Even back then I took note that it was a co-production with a big American studio and felt that gave the series an air of quality. I must not have been too discerning given the dodgey quality of the special effects in the opening titles.There are a few episodes on You Tube I plan to have a look at.

Paramount Studios… headed by one Bruce Gordon.

I’d never seen the show. ATV0 shelved its original run after only a few weeks… rare in those days… and bumped it to a Saturday afternoon timeslot. And I don’t recall it got much rerun time in the years after that. Having seen some clips on YouTube the theme song has quite a Gilligan’s Island feel to it.

I know schedules varied quite a bit from city to city back then but I seem to remember TEN-10 running it quite regularly in afternoon timeslots during the late '70s and early '80s. I may have also seen it on WIN-4 at some stage.

I’ve always had this fascination with the castaway scenario and been drawn to books and television shows with that theme. I think I may have had some anxiety about being stranded somewhere and having to survive off the land after being exposed to Robinson Crusoe at a very young age.

1 Like

I recall watching most of the series on TVQ.

The opener to The Lost Islands was also similar to The Rovers.

2 Likes

ATV0 debuted it on Saturday nights at 6.30pm, and bumped Young Talent Time to 7pm in the process. But it was only a few weeks before The Lost Islands was bumped to 5.30pm and YTT back in its rightful place :stuck_out_tongue:. I was only 4-5 at the time so I don’t recall seeing it at all and if it was Saturday nights then the parents would have had the footy replays on instead.

A browse through some other guides indicates that ATV10 did give The Lost Islands a repeat run in 1980.

Seven Sydney News and Seven National News - I presume both were Sydney only shows? Why have both?

1 Like

Were the footy replays more popular than Young Talent Time? I’d say so in Melbourne, but not so sure about anywhere else.

Seems to have been an attempt to mimic US style evening news. Sydney News covering mostly local news for Sydney but 7 National News (which was relayed to regionals) having broader news coverage. Plus was probably an attempt to knock down Ten’s news hour.

It didn’t last long and Steve Liebmann was soon off to 9 to host Today.

In the 90s Nine tried a similar thing with the Extra shows in each city at 5.30 leading into National Nine News at 6.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 22.7.1979, Melbourne

Source: TV Times

• The final in the series of “Ethnic TV” transmissions from SBS on ABC.
  • Nine has a repeat of the Miss Universe pageant that was held in Perth two days earlier (and became more famous for the stage collapsing at the end of the show)
  • The Wonderful World Of Disney’s feature Ride A Wild Pony was filmed in Australia
  • And if you were a fan of Paul Newman there was the 8.30 movie Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid on Channel 0, and at 10.30 The Hustler in black and white on Seven.
4 Likes
  • Ride A Wild Pony was filmed in the historic town of Chiltern in central Victoria.
1 Like

Melbourne, Friday 26 July 2002
from Herald Sun

ABC
6.00 New Dimensions with George Negus
6.30 Business Breakfast
7.00 Mixy (finale); Teletubbies
7.25 Sali Mali
7.30 Bear in the Big Blue House
7.55 Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends
8.00 Bob the Builder
8.10 Binka
8.15 Snailsbury Tales
8.30 Sesame Street
9.30 Play School
10.00 Shape, Shape, Shape
10.15 China: Fun & Firecrackers
10.30 Our History
10.40 Australians
10.45 Behind the News Specials
11.00 Discovering Science
11.30 Exploring the World of Music
noon World at Noon
12.30 Take the High Road
1.00 Movie "Doctor at Sea"
2.30 Massive Landmarks of the Twentieth Century
3.00 Hoobs
3.25 Maisy
3.30 Play School
4.00 Bananas in Pajamas
4.05 Arthur
4.30 Cyberchase
4.55 Oscar & Friends
5.00 Angela Anaconda
5.25 Life Force
5.50 The Trap Door
6.00 Rolf Harris’ Animal Hospital [C]
6.30 Gardening Australia (G)
7.00 ABC News
7.30 Stateline
8.00 Life as We Know It (premiere/PG)
8.30 Dalziel & Pascoe “The British Grenadier” (Mv)
10.00 The Glass House (Ma)
10.30 Lateline
11.00 Tom Jones (conclusion/PG)
11.50 Rage (M; Triple J simulcasts from 1am)

Seven
6.00 Sunrise
9.00 The Book Place [P]
9.30 A Country Practice (G; Prime airs it at 11am)
10.30 Seven News
11.00 Ricki Lake (PG)
noon Movie “Breaking Point” (Mvn)
2.00 Chicago Hope (M)
3.00 Passions (PG)
4.00 The Big Arvo [C]
4.30 Home Improvement (G)
5.00 M* A* S* H (G)
5.30 Wheel of Fortune (G)
6.00 Seven News
6.30 Today Tonight
7.00 Home & Away (G)
7.30 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony (G)
10.00 Commonwealth Games: Day One
1.00 Commonwealth Games: Day One-Overnight

Nine
6.00 National Nine Early News
7.00 Today
9.00 Hi-5 [P]
9.30 Cushion Kids (G)
9.35 Blue’s Clues (G)
10.00 Pacific Drive (PG)
10.30 Fresh (G)
11.00 National Nine News
11.30 Entertainment Tonight (PG)
noon Days of Our Lives (PG)
1.00 Young & the Restless (PG)
2.00 Water Rats (M)
3.00 Spin City (PG)
3.30 Ladies Man (PG)
4.00 Kangaroo Creek Gang [C]
4.30 Fresh Prince of Bel Air (G)
5.00 Looney Tunes (G)
5.30 Happy Days (G)
6.00 National Nine News
6.30 A Current Affair
7.00 Frasier (G)
7.29 Keno (G)
7.30 Burke’s Backyard (G)
8.30 AFL: Richmond v Essendon
11.45 Nightline
12.15 NRL: Parramatta v Brisbane
2.15 Late Show with David Letterman (PG)
3.15 Ananda Lewis (PG)
4.15 Hype (M)
4.45 Nine Lives
5.00 Family & Friends (G)
5.30 Entertainment Tonight (PG)

Ten
6.00 Yoga TV (G)
6.30 Aerobics Oz Style (G)
7.00 Cheez TV (G)
8.30 In the Box [P]
9.00 Good Morning Australia (PG)
11.00 Huey’s Cooking Adventures (G)
11.30 Ten News
noon Jerry Springer (Ma)
1.00 Judge Judy (G)
1.30 Beauty & the Beast (PG)
2.30 Oprah Winfrey (PG)
3.30 Neighbours (G)
4.00 Guinevere Jones [C]
4.30 Bold & the Beautiful (G)
5.00 Ten News
6.00 Simpsons (G)
6.30 Neighbours (G)
7.00 Everybody Loves Raymond (G)
7.30 Celebrity Big Brother for Charity (PG)
8.00 Simpsons (PG)
8.30 Movie “The Fifth Element” (Mv)
11.05 Ten News
11.35 Sports Tonight
12.05 Video Hits Uncut (M)
2.00 Home Shopping (G)
4.00 E Street (M)
5.00 This is Your Day with Benny Hinn (G)
5.30 Christian City TV (G)

SBS
6.00 L-Ahbarijet
6.25 Mandarin News
6.55 Telegiornale
7.30 Das Journal
8.00 Ta Nea Ton Ennea
9.00 Le Journal
9.30 Sevodnia
10.00 WeatherWatch
10.10 Telediario
11.00 Siaran Berita
11.30 The Journal
noon Nightly Business Report
12.30 Insight
1.30 Movie “Curse of the Phantom Limbs” (UK; PG)
2.25 WeatherWatch
3.00 TV Ed
3.30 Wine Lovers’ Guide to Australia
4.00 Asia Sports Show
4.30 World Sport
5.00 NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
6.00 Tour de France
6.30 SBS World News
7.00 World Sport
7.30 Australian Biography: Barbara Holborow (G)
8.00 A Question of Taste: Sauerkraut (France; G)
8.30 About Us “Asylum: Falling Through the Cracks” (conclusion; Canada/Mla)
9.15 Hotline
9.30 SBS World News Tonight
10.00 Movie “Female Company” (MAls)
11.45 Tour de France
12.15 Movie “Little Tony” (Netherlands; MAvsa)
1.50 close
5.00 WeatherWatch
5.30 Japanese News

C31
8.00 Move It or Lose It
8.30 Making History
9.00 Time of Your Life
9.30 Jack & the Green Talk
10.00 Beverly Hillbillies
10.30 Movie "Las Vegas Hillbillies"
noon Winning Women
12.30 Drive