Classic TV Listings

And even then coverage was only limited to a couple of hours of highlights a day. Although 9 was cheeky and also struck up some extra coverage outside of the pooled arrangement which enabled them to run exclusive coverage overnight.

Sunday 8 January 1989, Victoria and South East SA/Riverland, from TV Week, “Country” edition.

SBS is not listed in this edition.

3 Likes

at this stage AMV4/RVN2 (Prime) was beginning to take a lot of Seven programming in readiness for aggregation (which wasn’t going to happen for another year in Wagga and three years in Albury). They continued to take the cricket, religious and some filler programming, as well as Good Morning Australia. And GMV6 was pretty much a relay of BTV6 but with local commercials and news. STV8 Mildura was still aligned with the TV8 network, in 1990 it changed its programme relay to BTV6 to form Vic TV.

Odd that Prime Network carrying pretty much a Seven schedule (with the exception of Good Morning Australia, the Cosby Show, the cricket and rugby league) in 1989 while Vic TV and Southern Cross continued to cherrypick programming from Seven, Nine and Ten right up until 11.59pm on December 31 1991. I recall the last programme on the “old” Vic TV before aggregation came was the movie “The Flamingo Kid” in which Channel 10 had the rights to.

Yeah I remember Prime in Tamworth by the late 80s was the same. Remember being able to view it when I’d be staying in Muswellbrook

1 Like

SES sourcing its news from GTV Melbourne, and RTS 5A airing Ten News from ADS?
Also, GTV airing Ten Pin Bowling?

1 Like

One of the other non-Seven shows that Prime continued to screen was 60 Minutes but it was bumped to late on Sunday nights, after the movie.

This was a flyer that AMV released with its programming for 1989:

Plus a coverage map for AMV:

3 Likes

Before the Cricket Show there was 18’ Skiff racing, before that ten pin bowling filled the lunch break on the cricket.

Other interesting notes, Sarah Henderson hosting 10 news (now a sitting MHR) and Paul Higgins, who was also hosting Behind the News on ABC at the time reading the news on HSV. Always thought that was a strange situation.

I never understood why TV Week had two separate guides for BTV and GMV6 for so long after they had the same program feed… I can still remember the Sunday when they started the same feed it was early December in 1988. And if I am right I am sure it was a year to the day later that they change there name to Vic Tv

They did similar in the Southern NSW edition with separate columns for AMV4 and RVN2 even though both were basically identical.

They also had separate guides for CBN8-CWN6 and MTN9… again having pretty much identical schedules.

Aggregation finally prompted them to tidy a lot of these up, and in Victoria it finally meant adding SBS to the country edition.

But they LOVED the fights, Sydney’s Ron loved getting into them, Melbourne’s Ron loved to call them.

The Skiffs eventually went to 7 in the summer of 1995/96 (or maybe 1994/95) which spawned the first evolution of The Cricket Show, which was basically all pre recorded with Slater, Warne and Taylor (or Healy, not sure who was the 3rd) throwing to pre recorded segments. It wouldn’t be until the late 90’s when O’Donnell became part of the commentary team that The Cricket Show became a live thing. A couple of ODI’s played exclusively in the Day (Gabba had no lights before 1995, Adelaide Oval before 1997, Bellerive have only had lights for a few years) also had some Beach Volleyball to fill time given the Skiffs only ran 25 races a year (1 for every test lunch day).

Just thinking about what was the lunch filler was before the ten-pin era? Wouldn’t have been the couple of years that 9 covered Indoor Cricket was it?

Guess the Wide World of Sports was much wider in the 80s then it is in the present day.

They had Thrillseekers with Chuck Connors for a while.

I vaguely recall they possibly had The Home Shopping Show as lunch filler one summer… basically a 80s version of TVSN :wink:

I think they used to take Seven National News from ADS7 and then when ADS switched to Ten, RTS just followed suit with Ten News

SES 8 carried GTV 9 Melbourne news until 1991, when they switched to NWS 9 Adelaide.

There were some variations for RVN and AMV apart from local news and commercials: RVN had Contest Corner while AMV had Uncle Ben’s Buddies (I’m sure those who grew up in Albury-Wodonga and the North East would remember the theme jingle), on Saturday afternoons RVN had the VFL/AFL match of the day while AMV took movies, on Sundays AMV started their religious programming earlier than RVN to accommodate World of Sport from Melbourne (RVN took different programming while World of Sport was on) and AMV also took the Sydney Swans home games when they were on (RVN did not take these games live).

As for Midstate Television MTN had its own kids show “The Channel Niners” while CBN-CWN had different kids programming. Also MTN took Variety Italian Style which wasn’t on CBN-CWN,

And when STV8 joined the Vic TV network in 1990 they had their own local sports programme “The Vic TV Sports Show” on Sunday mornings.

Well that makes sense with the large Italian population in the Riverina. Particularly Griffith

1 Like

Today’s entry is from Sunday 14 January 1973, from TV Week:

Melbourne:

Regional Victoria/SA:

Highlight of the evening was GTV9’s via satellite broadcast Aloha From Hawaii with Elvis Presley, which was broadcast worldwide on 14 January… except in the US because the date conflicted with Superbowl?!?

GLV10, which was on a separate page to these listings, broadcast the Elvis concert in simulcast with GTV9 but it does not appear that other regionals took up the broadcast or perhaps broadcast it on delay.

Source: Wikipedia

3 Likes

Today’s entry is from Sunday 15 January 1978, from TV Week:

Melbourne:

Regional VIC, South East SA, Riverland:

*GLV10 in Gippsland was listed separately on pages after the Melbourne guide, but its guide was identical to BCV8/STV8 shown here.

RTS 5A
6:30 Ten News
6:30 Disney Movie
???