Classic TV Listings

Wouldn’t SES 8 have carried Seven National News from Adelaide instead of Melbourne?

Not at that time. HSV7 used to include SES8 in its “roll call” of relay stations at the close of its bulletin.

Being so close to Victoria compared to Adelaide and with much of its coverage area within Victoria probably deemed the Victorian news more relevant for Mount Gambier. SES8 also had a vague connection to the 6 Network in Victoria.

I don’t know when SES8 changed to relaying Adelaide news.

Interesting, SES 8 I would say most likely changed to relaying Adelaide news in the late 80’s. I remember watching NWS 9 news on SES 8 when I was little growing up in the early 90’s.

Here’s the list of TV stations from Seven National News in 1982

YouTube: FlemishDog

Although I understand that TVT6 and TNT9 still produced their own evening news bulletins but picked up national stories from Seven.

1 Like

SES 8 changed from GTV 9 to NWS 9 news in 1991.

2 Likes

Here’s a classic listing from this day, 24 December, in 1960:

Source: TV Times

2 Likes

XM2891 etc. were they phone numbers?

Yes - 2-letter prefixes.

I never quite understood what was the point of the letter prefixes.

Boxing Day, 26 December 1962, Melbourne. From TV Times.

2 Likes

31 December 1991, Western Australia:

1 Like

So GWN was the only commercial network in regional areas in WA?

Yes it was by that time. VEW8 Kalgoorlie and GTW11 Geraldton had been bought out by GWN and it also had launched via satellite for remote areas.

1 Like

And GWN did their own composite national, state, and local bulletin back then too?

Yes, right up until WIN started in 1999 then GWN changed to a 30 minute regional news followed by Seven News from Perth.

1 Like

I wonder why they switched at that point. Cost cutting? Afraid that WIN would start a fully local bulletin?

No idea really. Maybe by having a local news at 5.30 it would go up against WIN’s relay of Ten News which was also to be at 5.30.

Tuesday 1 January 1974, Adelaide, from the local TV Radio Guide:

Sports includes both cricket and tennis on ABC and the Perth Cup on SAS10

2 Likes

Multi channels would have come in handy then! Both in Melbourne too, would have kept the OB crews busy.

I wonder if ABC was at least able to call in an OB unit/crew from another state.

But if the commercial channels had two sports on the same day they’d be accused of hoarding sporting rights.