Classic TV Listings

A couple of other things from this 2006 guide

Nine seemingly still had new episodes of [Hot] Source to burn given The Shack had debuted that year as its new 4pm “edutainment” show and they were pretty similiar concepts/shows.

I used to really like those Year In Review shows Nine and Ten would air in the mid-2000s

1 Like

Prime did not take the Hopman Cup as it wasn’t as important as the Australian Open. This was Seven’s last year of taking this tournament before moving to the ABC (and Premier Sports/Fox Sports taking night sessions with the ABC’s commentators) the following year.

2 Likes

10’s first NYE. The Big Night In was panned by audiences. NYE Then was hosted by Big Brother’s Gretel Kileen and actor Daniel MacPherson who jumped ship to 7 the following year.

It was Bill Woods actually who replaced Spicer @Brayden_Courtney.

31 December 1996
Source:Sun Herald

5 minutes of midnight fireworks coverage from Nine.

6 Likes

Today’s TV: 31 December 2013
Source: The West Australian’s Today liftout

Sydney New Year’s Eve went from longtime broadcaster Nine to national broadcaster ABC for the first time hosted by Lawrence Mooney and Stephanie Brantz.

5 Likes

Apologies it’s only a partial - not mine, was posted to the local history Facebook group recently

6 Likes

Today’s TV: 2.1.1968, Victoria

Source: Listener In-TV

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 2 Jan 2008, Perth
Source: The West Australian

3 Likes

Today was live across Australia before the cricket. No preview show but Humphrey was on as the lead-in program

What is the point of this post? We can all read

2 Likes

2 January 2001
Source: SMH

Did Zirkos Kids air on Nine? i’ve never heard of it. Interesting, NBN bumped Here’s Humphrey for it instead of Barney & Friends.

edit: never mind, Barney was also bumped by NBN for Danoz home shopping. That probably paid for Zirkos Kids

Rated well according to this. 90% of the available audience

3 Likes

Interesting to note that NBN/WIN aired a full day’s cricket whereas Nine only aired the final session of the day (ie from 3:30pm). Anyone know why?

The Morning News on Seven was also only weeks away from launching; later on, The Big Breakfast would be renamed The Big Arvo (and moved to 4:00pm accordingly) and Weakest Link would air on Seven as indirect competition to Millionaire on Nine (which of course aired at 8:30pm).

If it was at the SCG, TCN would have been restricted to be allowed only a few hours live coverage?

2 Likes

Wasn’t that some nonsense they would do in the market the Tests would be played in to protect the live gate.

2 Likes

Yes, tests got the final session and one dayers (both international and domestic) the first two hours in the local market. Began during the 1960s, Packer even carried it over to Wordle Series Cricket.

2 Likes

I think a similar rule also existed in Perth, going by past TV listings listed here, wherein only the final session of the WACA Test was broadcast live. Not sure about the other markets though.

I would also like to think this rule would’ve been relaxed by around 2010, when the anti-siphoning rules regarding live sport were relaxed.

I agree, and while I might’ve been too young to recall at the time I also think money could’ve had something to do with it too. This is also a recurring issue with the current AFL rights wherein SA and WA cop up to six delayed FTA matches a season, with Seven’s broadcast starting after the final siren has sounded in real time.

I also know that when Ten had the AFL rights, matches involving the Swans that were played at the SCG were delayed by half an hour, though I can also recall in 2008 matches they played in Melbourne and Perth were live.

Nothing to do with anti siphoning. Was purely to protect the gate.

Ended early 2000s in line with a new broadcast deal for 9.

Quite different to the current AFL set up in SA/WA which is in place to protect Pay TV interests who pay the lion’s share of the current TV contract.

4 Likes

AFAIK it applied everywhere.

2 Likes

Sydney and Melbourne were the first. The first season without the blackouts was 2006/07. I think the rest followed in the next rights deal (2013) because there were still complaints in other cities.