Central GTS/BKN

Thread for Central GTS/BKN history, operating in regional SA, now owned by SCA.

In the attached video from YouTube shows a 1994 news update, why does the Australia outline behind the presenter have the entire Central Australia (including NT) shaded? I can only guess with the use of CTN (Central Television Network) that the news update was a shared resource with various stations in the group covered by that shaded area, with local stations doing their own tops and tails?

7 Likes

Central GTS/BKN 2003 ID.

GTS-BKN 2003

8 Likes

Here’s a bulletin from 1997 - featuring a young Rosanna Mangiarelli.

7 Likes

One of our old idents from 1985. A YouTube channel called gtsbknarchive has a lot of old stuff from GTS/BKN - this one included.

5 Likes

Appears the “Central Television Network” branding in general was one of those joint regional sales initiatives, probably not dissimilar to the Great Eastland Television network of the 80s - although it seems that only GTS/BKN used the actual branding as their identity on TV.

TelevisionAU’s site has a sales poster featuring the logo (Happy 40th, GTS4! – Television.AU), which offered ad sales for GTS/BKN, as well as SES8 and RTS5a in the south-east, plus Imparja (which would explain why the NT was included in the logo).

4 Likes

From my vague memories as a child in the Flinders Ranges (Upper Spencer Gulf licence area) in the 90’s, GTS/BKN did away with the test pattern long before SES8 - I recall a trip to Mount Gambier in the motel which my uncle owned watching the Ch 8 test pattern at 5AM in 1998! Whereas GTS/BKN used to take a direct feed from Ch 7 Sydney in the early hours of the morning with ads for Parramatta and all!

5 Likes
9 Likes

Sounds about right in the case of SES 8 - there used to be a video somewhere (may not have been on YouTube, I can’t find it now) of a start-up not long after WIN took over the station, which jumped straight into the second half-hour of the National Nine Early News at the time, which suggested a 6am (Central) start-up even then.

2 Likes

Would be this one Win SA Start Up 1999 - YouTube

3 Likes

That’s the one! Thanks.

1 Like

Like Roseanna, a lot of journalists and presenters started out at GTS/BKN in their careers - Nikki Dwyer, Katrina Stapleton (now Shute), Nicole Haack, Richard Davies, Will McDonald, Virginia Langeberg, Justine Northey, Selga Berzins, Gerda Jezuchowski and Phil Luke to name a few

1 Like

GTS/BKN from 1992

6 Likes