Central Coast - Survey 1, 2016

The most anticipated radio ratings of 2016 for a regional market has been released: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GOSFORD-(CENTRAL-COAST)-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf

Sea FM is the #1 station with 19.9%, followed by Star 104.5 at 14%, and 2GO at 13.7%. Further down the ratings ladder, JJJ got 5.9%, followed by 92.5 ABC Central Coast with 5%. The Sydney & Newcastle stations are not listed.

In the demographics, Sea is #1 in the under-40s, Star tops the 40-54s & 2GO dominates the 55+. In breakfast, Sea’s Bree & Gawndy is #1 with 18.8%, followed by Star’s Rabbit & Julie Goodwin with 15% and 2GO’s Sarah & Paddy with 13.2%.

Unlike most other regional market released by Xtra Insights, the Central Coast deserves its own ratings thread, considering that there’s a separate Central Coast Radio thread here in this forum. :slight_smile:

FWIW, here’s a comparison between today’s release and the last survey of “Central Coast” from April/May 2012:

Sea FM: 17.7 - 19.9
Star 104.5: 11.4 - 14.0
2GO: 13.2 - 13.7
Triple J: 5.8 - 5.9
ABC CC: 10.7 - 5.0
ABC Classic: 2.0 - 1.4
ABC Nat’l: 1.1 - 0.8
NewsRadio: 0.3 - 0.4

1 Like

It’s also worth mentioning that the “Other Stations”, which would include the Community, Sydney & Newcastle stations, account for 38.9% of Central Coast listeners surveyed. In the 55-64s, it’s at 53.5% & in the 65+ age group, it’s at a whopping 67.6%!!!

It’s fair to say that most of the 55+ listeners would be listening to Coast FM (local community station), 2GB, Smooth & Magic 2CH.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a lot listening to 2BL (if the Gold Coast is anything to go by) even though there is a local station on FM.

Outside of breakfast, 92.5 ABC Central Coast is a direct relay of 702 ABC Sydney. But yes, it’s a good point you’re making there that quite a lot of them would be listening via 702 from Sydney instead of via 92.5.

One would imagine that a decent chunk of the Central Coast’s 55+ radio listeners would be ex-Sydneysiders who’ve moved up and have taken their radio listening habits with them!

Also, I find it rather interesting how Radio National, Triple J and Classic FM get listed when listeners would have to rely on the Sydney/Newcastle broadcasts of said stations because there’s no local relays for the Central Coast.

1 Like

I thought Breakfast was from 702 ABC Sydney with the only local show being Afternoons. Has that changed?

Yes, it has changed as of the beginning of 2015, with Scott Levi now doing local breakfast.

As I predicted a while back, a fair chunk of the others will be for Smooth 95.3.

CoastFM does have a lot of 55+ listeners, but we adjusted the format & replaced the playlist about 3 months ago.

Mid-dawns are now Solid Gold (reminiscent of WSFM about 15 - 20 years ago), the weekday Easy Mix, is now a mix of WSFM about 10 - 15 years ago & Smooth 95.3, with less 60’s & a lot more 70’s & 80’s. If it fits the Easy Mix style, we even play 90’s to current tracks now, so the 40-54 group is increasing for us too.

CoastFM is now probably very similar to what 2GO was 10 - 20 years ago.