Central Coast Radio

Julie Goodwin will leave Star 104.9 breakfast during the first quarter of 2020. She’ll continue to be heard as a regular guest over the rest of 2020.

2 Likes

I wonder if Mandy will jump back to Star?

2 Likes

An absolute shambles this morning on Hit (Sea) and Triple M (2GO) in their networked breakfast shows. I’ve heard a lot of messy radio in my time, but this far takes the cake!

Made my morning commute very interesting :slight_smile:

From about 6:15, Hit were off air and on backup tape for the whole time it took me to drive from Bluehaven to Chatswood (about 1 1/2). Towards the end of my trip the network show did come back on, but then went to backup tape again during commercials, and then had commercials playing over the show.

Triple M won the morning though. Although they did have a shorter stint of the backup tape, but then Mike Duncan coming on air out of nowhere to play a few of his favourite songs (and lots of things crashing over each other), before then going back into the network show that played the exact same songs that he had just played. For a bit they played “Here Comes The Rain Again” not once, not twice, but THREE times in a row!! Once they got back into network they went back to dead air in the commercials, with a bunch of things all playing over the top of each other.

I understand there are some staffing issues going on there at the moment, and it sure sounds like the stations are suffering as a result of it.

8 Likes

And not a great choice of song in these bushfire ravaged times, though it is just a song.

4 Likes

Probably slightly better than if they had played Farnsey’s Burn for you, Talking Heads’ Burning down the house or Madonna’s Burning up…

5 Likes

This is what happens when you cut, cut, cut.

Once great stations prior to the Sea FM Ltd acquisition, well staffed as competing entities and likewise with Wesgo/ARN, nights were cut with the Sea FM acquisition, more under the RG Capital era with decline steepening during the MRRW and now SCA era.

If you are/were/prospective client of SCA on the Central Coast, surely you’d think twice about it now? Current clients should be asking for credits despite most on ROS freebies over the summer break.

Sales staff must be tearing their hair out and programming in despair. You gotta feel for them, it’s the centralised management to blame, the cost cutting and consolidation of radio that brings us to such on air disasters.

Makes you wonder what the stations would sound like and how well resourced they’d be had ARN nee Wesgo held onto the stations. A few years in their cost cutting phase, you would’ve thought worse off, but now with ARN in the HT&E era investing more in programming, you’d hope for better.

5 Likes

Issues again this morning.

2 Likes

Back on air now

1 Like

If they had a local announcer instead of persisting with networking, would that solve their problems or was it an engineering problem today?

3 Likes

I guess it was better when Rabbit & Julie Goodman were having technical issues towards the end of their outside broadcast at Valley View Public School back in September last year. Had a minute or so of just backing music and then a couple of minutes of dead air until the next show kicked in at 9am.

3 Likes

Sounds like something on the transmission side if they were directing people to the app, which would indicate everything was leaving the studio/playout fine. But then again, maybe it was a subtle suggestion to pick a different location on the app (or they’d changed the stream to take a different station)

3 Likes

I didn’t personally hear what you are describing, but you are right in saying it’s the better of the two glitches!

2 Likes

It appears that Hit 101.3 will be joining this list as Luke and Maddy have been added to the schedule.

1 Like

So no local workday on Hit101.3?

2 Likes

Sounds like it, doesn’t it?

1 Like

What’s happened to Whitto?

1 Like

Not good news for provincial/regional radio if a market of 300,000 people can’t get local workday announcers on it’s # 1 rated station.

I hope this move comes back to bite them at ratings time.

3 Likes

Then it’s also a glitch on the app too.

They’ve both been added to the app with Whitto removed.

2 Likes

Nic Kelly has rejoined Hit 101.3.

1 Like

Pretty sure he’s only filling in for a week

1 Like