Celebrity Name Game

You never watched Pointless, did you? The show was far from serious.

3 Likes

Sounds pathetic and cringeworthy.
Interestingly David Knox gave it 3 stars on tv tonight.

No I didn’t. But the show presented that way from the ads and hosts

One of the hosts, a renowned satirist, was described in a SMH article as “one of the funniest people on Australian television”. Ten did themselves no favours if they failed to showcase his humour in promos for the show.

1 Like

Yeh I’m Not disputing that. I think it was just the wrong show and the wrong promotion of it. Never really had a chance.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Mark (bring back The Roast), but the first handful of episodes were very “stick to the format” and there was next to no humour. The show absolutely got better once everyone settled in and Mark got to be himself.

Fuck that sounds horrendous. Try as he might, Grant is not a comedian.

1 Like

I watched a few episodes at the start to see how it compared to the British version and then didn’t watch again until I saw some social media posts highlighting the humour that had been injected into the show. It did improve and Ten attempted to make the format appealing by selecting categories that were relatable to their audience. Ten encores everything else so it’s a shame they didn’t give the show a run in late night when viewers are looking for something easy and light to wind down with.

3 Likes

Same. I watched the first few episodes of Pointless and they were such a bore. After they announced it was getting axed, I went back and watched a bit and -apart from the “ooohs” and “aahhhs” from the crowd - it was much better later on.

I don’t think CNG is going to work either and I doubt they will find enough Celebrities to play either. I watched the American one (after @NewsWeary mentioned it) and I turned it off after 5 mins. So, I can’t see myself switching over to 10.

Agreed. If they’re going to go with a gas, nitrous oxide would work best.

2 Likes
5 Likes

It’s like a 3 minute game segment that Ellen would have with really big stars and over excited audience members, then she would move on to something else. Stretching it out longer than that, and having the annoying Tommy Little with a slightly confused Lisa Wilkinson and Grant Denyer getting excited over what is essentially nothing is not enticing me to want to watch it again. The deadly boring Mastermind is better than this.

Edit: It’s not trending on Twitter. The number of non Channel 10 tweets about this show are less than 20.

i love this show :slight_smile: iam finding it quite funny in places and the same with lisa and tommy :slight_smile: and grant is funny as well:)

I watched the final 15 minutes and thought it was quite good.
Lots of Family Feud vibes.

4 Likes

They need to have more games- not two whole rounds of charades.

I would say it lacked rehearsal and the production is not sharp. Lisa facing the wrong camera, the contestants walking off camera early, cutting to Lisa and Tommy not laughing at Grant’s jokes. Nothing that can’t be fixed- maybe do what HYBPA do and go back and watch the episode. If it isn’t funny/witty, they re-record.

There is also the essence of Family Fued with the sound proof room and Grant asking questions at a podium. So it could capture that audience.

I watched the first episode. It was OK.
Some controversy with the episode though:

1 Like

I’m just here for the glowing review from Travis

1 Like

just cant leave this show alone can they . what blackbox wrote is laughable sounds like he still has a grudge with 10 , so what andrew was a 10 employee, 10 said it was ok , so just leave it alone

It’s a clear breach of the terms and conditions of the program. Certainly not the best way to kick off the first episode.

2 Likes

@blackbox What are you implying?

I won’t watch it again. And having to watch the slightly blurry picture on WIN Peach made it worse.

It raises all sorts of collusion questions.

Typical of 10 to charge on and not think this would be an issue.

1 Like