Car Radios

Yes Mitsubishi were one of the earlier adopters, along with Ford.

4 Likes

yeah my i30 has DAB as well - i got one of the first PD models where DAB+ was standard across the line along with androuid auto / apple carplay. coming from my Yaris with an aftermarket head unit with DAB it was a must have.

the radio is on DAB or streaming all the time, only time it is not is when i have no DAB coverage (like this weekend i spent down the gold coast where BNE recepton was patchy)

4 Likes

Did an update of my 2018 Kia. I like the radio interface now.

5 Likes

The newer one (top pic?) looks SOOO much betterā€¦ the frequency readout on the bottom one looks horrid.

2 Likes

They are both from the new interface, hhh does not have RDS. You donā€™t like the frequency read out? :slight_smile: I donā€™t mind it.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, I think I realised about 2 seconds after my post that they were both the same interfaceā€¦

And nope, I donā€™t like the freq readout! The rest of it is fine, but the space for the " Now Playing" text is pretty small.

3 Likes

I like having presents on the bottom now. Makes it easier to flick stations. Yeah the text is a bit small.

Bring back the stereo indicator. A signal indicator would be also good.

2 Likes

Yes and yes!

Though the latter could potentially vary wildly on the move.

1 Like
5 Likes

How did you update it?

1 Like

@NRN11 Navigation Updater | Official Kia Navigation Update Website

If you need help let me know. I ended up buying another SD card and it worked well. Compared to the Mazda experience I had previously, Kia is excellent how they allow the ordinary punter to update the car stereo. Mazda may have improved, but my DAB radio was terrible back then.

3 Likes

Forgive me if Iā€™m a bit sceptical of a study which was paid for by the radio industryā€¦

3 Likes

I did a similar update for Sync 3 on my Ford Focus earlier this yearā€¦ I downloaded the update onto a USB, plugged the USB into the media port in the car, and it auto updatedā€¦ it was very easy to do.

It didnā€™t really change the functionality muchā€¦ the text was a bit different, but that was it really.

1 Like

The previous update was more comprehensive on functionality of the radio. It allowed the driver to control the noise reduction on the FM Band as well as expand the AM Band to allow for the off the standard band frequencies like 1611 be tuned in where previously it ended at 1602. Also a big thing it allowed one to delete presents. Before , believe or not, there was no easy way to delete presents unless you did some kind of factory reset.

The current update is more just look and feel, having the presents on the button of the screen I like as it makes it easier to change stations like the old fashion radio from the 80s. Those push button presents were great on those AM only radios in the Falcon. :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

this thread inspired me to see if there was an update for my 2017 Hyundai I30ā€™s radio and there is.

there were some minor things like the position of the album art / Dab photo that changed on the display and some major qulaity of life stuff like being able to turn the display off whilst keeping the audio playing and also the ability to delete favourites (why is this not a default feature?)

there was another that was odd but after using it i like it - itā€™s called sounds of nature and plays some pre-recorded sound clips in a loop. you pick which one you want to play and the selections include noisy forrest, open fire and beach

5 Likes

My 2020 Hyundai Elantra had an update earlier this year, and I have a feeling they added this too. Iā€™ll have to check it out when I get a chance.

3 Likes

Does yours have the Infinity branded audio system? Are you happy with the sound quality? And what is the radio reception like?

2 Likes

Radio reception is fine, only listen to DAB, I live in Melbourne and travelling to Ballarat I can get it as far away as Gordon before it drops out.

3 Likes

Gave it a bash the other day, letā€™s just say itā€™s a no from me.

2 Likes

ā€¦ simplified audio by leaving only a few button options to use while driving for simple navigation.

Many users have complained about presenting difficulties listening to Spotify while driving, saying that navigating audio on the app has now become dangerous.

3 Likes