Car Radios

I think there would be hardware required too, antenna, cabling from receiver to antenna and the tuner itself.

But yes, $800 is highway robbery when you consider the cost of parts involved is probably under $50.

Tesla shouldn’t be charging anything more than $100, if not for free.

3 Likes

Some great news for Kia owners maybe Hyundai owners too. The latest version or updates of the software add software goodies for the radio. I have discovered FM now can adjust the noise levels. So you can have the original sound or reduce noise or extra reduce noise. I will provide screenshots later.

3 Likes
  • The noise function for FM
  • The ability to delete presents/limit the number of presets.
  • Extend AM frequency range.
  • When using the volume control you can see what band you are on.

Great Kia to add improvements to the radio! My past experience with the Mazda was disappointing esp with the dab function. They didn’t really care or seem not to. Kia seem to listen like the lack of a delete function with the favourites an annoying bugbear, I saw others complain online, they fixed it.

8 Likes

Excellent. I also wrote to Hyundai and asked them to increase the bandwidth of the AM tuner. Let’s see if that has occurred.

3 Likes

yeah I am not sure if they have increased the bandwidth of the AM radio. Will let you know when I go for a drive.

2 Likes

!

Some more functions, new sounds of nature mode. Didn’t listen to it for too long, the sounds of nature. They have drop the signal strength from the mobile phone identicator. You can still see in Android Auto. There is the update to maps with speed limit (maybe it was there but didn’t notice it on the compact map just full screen, someone can correct me) ,no North Connex on the map though.

AM seems to sound similar soundwise, might be slightly better. Id really need a Kia without the update to compare. FM with the original sound is so much better when listening to weaker stations. I can get SWR mostly in full stereo now. Before it flick on too aggressively to the reduce noise function thus losing the stereo goodness. Did not try DAB yet.

6 Likes

I’ve finally replaced the radio in my Prius with a Joying android head unit. The FM/AM app that comes with it is not bad but having it split screen with another app like Maps it only gives you the frequency and next/prev presets (with hold to seek), no RDS info or anything.

It does have a switch between Local and DX for seeking and I can happily say that it stops at a lot more stations than the factory car radio. Almost too many on AM.

5 Likes

Nice looking display.

Shame the RDS text is so small.
Can that be changed?

1 Like

What is seen is pretty much all I get. There are other radio apps that could work but I just need to find them.

2 Likes

Does it have built in 4G or is that just the phone being paired?

1 Like

Built in 4G, BYO sim.

3 Likes

now that is what I want :slight_smile: built in tunein radio iheart etc. Does it have the play store?

3 Likes

It does.

This is the unit: https://www.joyingauto.com/newest-joying-7-inch-double-din-car-stereo-apple-carplay-radio-android-10.html

2 Likes

thanks for the link im gonna go check it out

1 Like

I have tried the DAB my main focus was “2CH” as it is 4A (well I thought this) . I noticed the sound wasn’t as good but zero dropouts. Now I know why! I was about celebrate that the update fixed glitches with 4A. I need to listen to more FUN to see how it goes. I just don’t trust those streams due to the dropouts are often not the fault of DAB but rather the source itself. I have to try SEN Victoria or SEN Track but it is pretty boring for my ears, although I can try to listen to the cricket a bit.

2 Likes

Image of a HD in car radio

7 Likes

Australian radio joins global working group on Android Automotive

The Australian commercial radio industry has joined a global working group of broadcasters, carmakers and tech experts collaborating on the innovation of radio in Android Automotive, Google’s infotainment operating system being built into new connected cars.

Industry body Commercial Radio Australia is part of the working group, led by the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) in the US, investigating the use of a combination of broadcast radio, internet and voice technology to optimise the radio experience in-car.

“The connected car will transform the in-car entertainment experience, and Australian broadcasters are pleased to be part of this exciting global working group providing input on how to deliver the best radio experience possible,” said Joan Warner, chief executive officer of CRA.

Android Automotive is an open-source operating platform that has an interface designed for the car screen and features Google Assistant voice commands to control a range of car functions, so users can ask for a radio station to start playing.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Yes finally!

4 Likes

I’m lucky that my 5 year old car (my Mitsubishi ASX) has a DAB radio.The earlier models of ASXs (built before 2015)didn’t have a DAB radio

5 Likes