Canberra Radio

If you think they’re local you’ve obviously never listened. I tuned in a few times when driving from Goulburn and they just read out news stories from overseas. So many inside jokes too

4 Likes

When Wilko & Courts were on Mix in the afternoon, I was volunteering at a charity shop which always had the radio on. As much as possible I moved my hours away from that end of the day to avoid having my brain feel like it was melting.

The music on the station was about 50/50 on stuff I didn’t mind and stuff I couldn’t stand, but that through the day was infinitely more tolerable than the inane chatter after 3pm.

All of that said, they were quite popular in town and their disappearance from Mix drive received similar levels of community shock to Ned & Josh’s abrupt departure, so I’m sure they will attract a reasonable audience on Hit. I won’t be listening but I do wish them success.

4 Likes

Canberra really does love recycling talent. Bringing Scotty back on 2CA and now this.

3 Likes

I did listen, thank you. I really enjoyed their show when they were on Mix. Lots of in-jokes, yes. But if you listened regularly, you were in on the jokes.

Like most announcers in Canberra (and a lot of non radio folks actually), they weren’t natives, but they lived in Canberra and they were part of the community, so I would consider them locals. As long as they’re living in Canberra, broadcasting from Canberra, then they’re all good. And, from memory, there’s only a couple of “Canberra born and bred” natives on air in Canberra.

In fact, Courts worked at 104 and Mix for over 6 years before taking a break to have kids (after being in radio since 2011). And Wilko did breakfast and drive on Mix over the span of 5.5 years. That’s about the same amount of time as Ned & Josh. Wilko has continued living in Canberra, even since leaving Mix drive, and Courts moved to Norfolk Island for her husband’s work. So no, not natives, but definitely locals. So I don’t really understand your point…

7 Likes

Julian Abbott, who will be familiar to listeners in NSW and QLD during ABC Radio’s NRL coverage, is retiring in March next year.

4 Likes

This might be suited better to the FM Spectrum Replan - General Discussion thread, but how would you replan Canberra FM radio? Personally, I would remove Tuggeranong repeaters from community stations, and just copy what Adelaide does.

4 Likes

My first choice is to remove them all together and have all the Canberra stations on dab+ at Tuggeranong Hill.

Second option is to move the Tuggeranong translators 400khz so they would be on frequencies such as 106.7, 107.5 etc.
This would provide Canberra fm frequencies for the fm conversions of 2CA/2CC.

The Tuggeranong translators would be on the same frequencies as Batemans Bay and Orange / Central Tableland’s.
The Tuggeranong translators would need to have the following specs on their licence”Only to be protected from interference at 66dBuV and above”.

This would be the case due to potential Tropo interference from the Central Tablelands and a lesser extent Batemans Bay.

2 Likes

My point is that they seldom did local content. We used to laugh that you could place that show anywhere and not know where it’s based, because they just did pop culture and news stories the whole time with a hell of a lot of inside jokes. Kristen and nige is a good, local shiw

4 Likes

They would be perfect for Hit NSW Breakfast.

1 Like

And they rated their butts off. They were up against a national show on 104.7 (Hughesy and Kate, I believe), so that’s potentially why they involved pop culture/news stories. But, at the same time, there was definitely local content included, which is why I listened to them over 104 at the time. I’m sure in breakfast, they would need to be even more local, so I reckon you should just wait and see. They’re a good team, I like their vibe, and I think they’ll work well on 104.7 breakfast.

1 Like

“Nige DAB+” is coming soon. I can’t tell if this is a joke as it appears to be sponsored by a local business?

2 Likes

I get the nature of the JV, but it feels wrong seeing Hit104.7 promoting a station built around Mix 106.3 breakfast talent.

3 Likes

New Canberra DAB+ station NIGE! started at midday today.

3 Likes

Not even Kyle gets his own radio station.

1 Like

Oh please, don’t give them any ideas! Not a Kyle station, please no…

Interesting re ‘Nige’… I might have a listen just to see what kind of music they play.

But the article seems contradicatory, it says don’t bother emailing him, but to get in touch with him (via the website which as I understand it sends him an email anyway)?

3 Likes

It’s not on LiSTNR yet that I can find

2 Likes

Oh, the blurb it says you can email him, just that “he probably won’t read it” (although of course I’m sure someone at amplifyCBR will :thinking:)

It’s probably about 20 years or so late to the Jack FM style of format but of course the proof will be in what they actually play - and definitely not going to begrudge any extra options in somewhere like Canberra.

1 Like

Mix 105.3? Don’t think that’s right…

3 Likes

A ‘slight’ variation on NZ’s popular ‘Brian FM - Playing What We Feel Like’

4 Likes

RadioToday strikes again. :joy:

4 Likes