Broadcast Facilities

I seem to remember it was purpose built (or at least fitted out) for Ten when they moved from Strangeways Tce so it would be about 15 years old, same length of time 10 have been there. Suppose they don’t need as much space and/or don’t want to pay for the premium location these days.

3 Likes

I guess a tin shed in Gawler was unavailable?

4 Likes

You have to wonder how much 10 really saved by shutting down a talent only/remotely switched studio like Adelaide or Perth??

7 & 9 manage to make it work from the Gold Coast and it’s a smaller market than Adelaide.

3 Likes

What was the point of 10 Adelaide moving?

Has anyone got pictures of the new facility?

1 Like

Google maps has an image capture of the outside of the building (under construction) from December 2020.

1 Like

Need less space, further away from the CBD would mean a cheaper rent. Or perhaps their lease ran out and wasn’t renewed.

3 Likes

Likely the latter there.

1 Like

I’d say it was probably more a talent saving. Was it 15 salaries? (Presumedly most if not all were at least over $100k per year and others like KAK and Tim Bailey on much higher). That’s a lot of coin which can be wiped off the books.

7 and 9 don’t usually don’t often make drastic changes to their news department. Even little old Sky News can do remote switching of presenters from Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane etc to Sydney.

3 Likes

It’s not just the talent, it’s the supporting staff too. So that’s probably 30 people at least that don’t need to be employed.

Locked on shots though, not studio angles etc.

2 Likes

2 presenters, 5 support staff in each state. At least.

More in Brisbane who had kids tv killed off too.

2 Likes

SKY Sydney / Melbourne and Canberra are actually full working studios and differ from the other cities though.

2 Likes

Images from the lease page on Realcommercial:

12 Likes

Wasn’t the area underneath the stairs used for the news set and presentation?

Looks like the Adelaide set has finally been eliminated.

2 Likes

I think you may have been right.

7 Likes

Great that it backed onto a newsroom but from the looks of it… it was a very tight space to produce news from. Lighting and camera angles would have been difficulty to accommodate on a daily bases.

6 Likes

For such a tiny space they made that work so well and it looked pretty decent.

It’s a shame they’ve ever moved presentation from Adelaide. It is now their worst performing bulletin and they will never ever recover if they continue with this mess they currently dish up.

10 either go fully national with increased hours of bulletins across the day or just go back and reinstate locally presented bulletins.

5 Likes
1 Like

Reminds me how much of a wanker that guy was.

1 Like

Full working studios but Producers and Pilots are controlling it from Sydney.

Studios (outside Macquarie Park And Surry Hills) are interchangeable for Sky News and Fox Sports News. Even Darwin can do Fox Sports News bulletins live.

Shots need to be changed for guests etc which is done remotely.

2 Likes