Broadcast Facilities

Is it likely we’ll see 7 Melbourne move (rent) in another city location?

Even I can get a clean feed from GTV, TCN, and other stations through some special equipment.

Did Prime NZ ever get a clean feed or did they work off their own playout?

$100 that it’s a no.

I wouldn’t have thought so. The building they’re in in purpose built and not overly large - probably similar in size to what Nine and Ten have. The playout area that’s moving out wouldn’t take up that much of the total floor space, and it will probably easily be filled by other departments. Some operations from Sydney may even make the move down as part of the move out of Pyrmont.

I don’t think this is solely a cost cutting measure. Essentially every job that is cut will need to be done by someone at their new facility in Sydney. They probably have equipment that needs upgrading, and if they’re going to the effort and expense to refit the whole playout area, it makes sense to do it in a manner that allows them maximum flexibility for the future and also potentially a new revenue stream.

BCM was built at a time when they also needed to output one channel in each city. That’s grown significantly, and they’re obviously at capacity with the need to have 7flix played out of MediaHub and the delays with getting 7HD to air.

By combining resources, but Seven and Nine will have a facility that is future proof and capable of delivering a better product.

4 Likes

What move out of Pyrmont?

I remember going in to see The Project one night and being confused as to why Melbourne was MCR for Adelaide’s news. I still am, really: adds another point of failure, I guess.

Seven are moving from Pyrmont to Redfern

I must have missed that, when was it announced? Can’t find anything with google, any details?

Last I heard they had extended their lease in Pyrmont to 2030.

Mentioned here in their half year report
http://www.sevenwestmedia.com.au/assets/pdfs/180220-SWM-Half-Year-Results.pdf

1 Like

The ACCC is examining Nine and Seven’s proposed acquisition of Ten’s share of TX Australia, the acquisition itself is currently before the NSW courts with Ten taking legal action against the others.

http://registers.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1205153/fromItemId/750991

1 Like

Any more news on this Nine/Seven joint playout facility? Also… NEP did their first Andrews hub sports OB for a Perth A-League game at the weekend.

1 Like

Commonwealth Games coverage showed Mt Coot-tha area broadcast facilities - towers left to right: QTQ, BTQ ABQ, TVQ (in original channel order 9, 7 , 2 0).

In Brisbane the studios of the commercial stations are adjacent to the towers.

BTQ 7 tower and studio complex in close up where today’s broadcast was hosted from (note staff waving)

TVQ (left) and ABQ and some community radio towers. You might be able to make out that the TVQ tower design includes a series of circles or 0’s, the station’s original channel number.

8 Likes

all commercial tv transmissions come from TVQ, with the ABC remaining on their transmitter.

The ABC’s backup is TVQ, while the commercials fall over to BTQ for now… QTQ was used for analogue transmissions until they ceased.

3 Likes

I think that ABC’s back up is BTQ while SBS that is on ABQ tower has it’s back up on the TVQ tower.

A bit late now but the Super Sport coverage of the Fourth Test in South Africa on Fox Sports had an interesting look at all the cricket coverage, which camera is which, what goes on in the OB vans and how all the stats and hawkeye etc… work.

2 Likes

TVQ is the largest tower on the mountain, I believe the ABC backup is there… and you’re right about SBS.

4 Likes

More confusion over what the station is called right there…

Continuing in appropriate thread

That does make sense.

It’s probably 7QLD’s fault!

BCM playing out that network (although it is O&O by SWM I guess).

Whereas Nine and Ten’s facilities don’t play-out their regional affiliates (most done from Prime Media / SCA in Canberra and/or now MediaHub).

Actually, don’t Nine (Frenchs Forest) have to play-out NBN, given that’s a Nine O&O? Though the argument could be made that regional QLD is bigger than regional Northern NSW.

I’m not sure where NBN presentation originates. Feels like it’s still done locally somewhere in NNSW.

If I’m not mistaken, NBN presentation/playout is currently being done at their main facilities in Newcastle.

Traffic (which I presume is another term for presentation/playout) will move to Canberra by July 1 if this is anything to go by, not sure if that means NBN using the space at SCA previously used for NRN playout or something else entirely.

2 Likes