Broadcast Facilities

Big news.

3 Likes

Very sad for the people involved

3 Likes

This is… not good. Feeling for the BCM staff at the moment.

Wonder how much redundancy will be built into the new system: will a power cut knock out two different networks this time? I’d assume that 7flix will move over from MediaHub at some point too.

3 Likes

Sounds like they are creating a rival company for Media hub. I wonder if Prime would jump across from Media Hub once their contract finishes. In time SCA could even move their Nine regional playout to this new facility.

2 Likes

it’s a department that doesn’t make money I guess, so in every accountant’s mind it’s the best place to save money (and people on here lambashed me for claiming Nine was losing money…)

I hope the new playout system has adequate power back up, otherwise it will be a catastrophe.

I’m sure they will have a UPS and diesel generator backup supply.

1 Like

There will be so mush empty space at BCM… such a great facility too.

1 Like

With the potential redevelopment of the harbour side of Etihad Stadium it could be an opportunity to redevelop Seven’s building too. Move Sunrise to Melbourne and have an open windowed set that overlooks the water.

…and what close Martin Place?

Good try. But no.

You’d have to think so. It will probably mean that regional Qld get 7HD as well.

There’s probably a good chance SCA will. They are set to move out of their Canberra premises in the near future, and we all know they run their networks with a more outsourced/less in house is better attitude. Potential additional cost savings not having to pay for the network capacity required to get feeds in from Nine and Seven.

Prime maybe, but probably less likely since they also use WIN’s distribution network to feed their transmitters.

2 Likes

I don’t think BCM will be long for docklands, at least not in the current configuration.

I think the TV networks are finally realising that these inner city facilities (Pyrmont, Martin Place, Docklands etc) are not economical in this climate.

The department that doesn’t make money? Airing the the TV channel is what makes the money, no matter which way you look at it, and with comparatively far fewer people than any other department, especially since the introduction of centralised Pres. facilities removed dozens of Pres. departments around the country. It kind of staggers me that a TV network decides it can no longer afford to pay the few people it requires to actually air their network.

I wholeheartedly agree, given that I was once a pres operator here in Australia… but this is what the bean counters assume… why hire people when the computer does all the work.

TEN had that attitude two years ago when they sacked Adelaide and Perth master control operators.

I reckon the ‘state of the art’ Frenchs Forrest facility is where their going…

1 Like

Martin Place is lacking space and Docklands is going to be under utilised.

1 Like

Docklands will not remain in it’s current state - especially not if there is redevelopment going on around it.

1 Like

Can attest to this. Back when EMTV PNG was a full-time Nine affiliate, it was common for snippets of a Nine Newsbreak (with a shot of the Opera House) to be seen because someone mistimed the ad break.

EMTV must’ve got the same clean feed of TCN as every other affiliate

2 Likes