Broadcast Facilities

It’s just sad to see a great TV landscape now eroding away. I have no idea where we will be in 10 years or so.

1 Like

Isn’t the reason 10 are still at the mountain, is they wouldn’t make any money on selling the land so have no financial benefit of spending on new real estate?

1 Like

Are any commercial networks still producing childrens content with the current suspension of quotas? We know Seven isn’t. If not, TVQ will not be producing anything when News goes in a few weeks, sadly.

2 Likes

I think it’s more about downsizing the operation. It may workout cheaper to rent out a small office in Brisbane for the newsroom and sales staff etc.

The upkeep and maintenance of the large facilities might be expensive to run for little purpose.

Scope and Totally Wild will most likely move production to Sydney or Melbourne (or later be axed in favour for outsourced children’s content) Hopefully I’m wrong.

2 Likes

In terms of studio filming, Scope can’t be that expensive can it? If Brisbane downsizes into a small CBD facility they could surely squeeze in an oversized TOSS in, think Nine Darwin’s odd rectangular room, one half is a TOSS for news crosses if needed, flip the camera around for Scope or another mini-production. Scope doesn’t have a large or complex set, only seems to need one or two small set walls and some shelves dressed with sciency stuff.

1 Like

That doesn’t make sense.

Like I said, children’s productions will most likely be axed or potentially moved interstate.

But I’m only speculating if they did move from their current facilities in Brisbane.

1 Like

Surely it’d be cheaper to rent space occasionally as required at Movie World or somewhere.

Doesn’t make sense to maintain studios that are only used occasionally.

1 Like

It’s like as if these tv stations need to go back to the past and start all over again. I WOULD PERSONAL 110% SUPPORT THIS!!!

It would depend on a lot of factors though (including what Ten could get for their current site)

Not sure if any of the commercials could sell (unless the company is sold). AFAIK these are single-purpose 99 year leases from the BCC to operate broadcast facilities. It would be hard to find a buyer under those conditions.

3 Likes

As I understand it, they can’t sell to anyone except the council… and it has to be returned to preexisting state.

5 Likes

Black Mountain

“Telstra Tower” was 40 years old in May

4 Likes

Given CTC-7 (and ABC-3) have been around for more than 40 years, I assume there was a pre existing tower on Black Mountain before Telstra Tower was built? Or did they broadcast from somewhere else up to 1980?

Yes I understand CTC actually had their studios and tower on Black Mountain at least until 1974 before moving to Watson. Their studios were converted into a visitor car park and I understand one of the posts which held their tower mast still exists next to the roadside leading to the Mountain.

4 Likes

I found these images on-line where it looks like guyed TV towers

Can also be glimpsed:

8 Likes

Where I understand CTC was located before the move to Watson.

This is where one of the guyed masts were held (in 2020)

6 Likes

Outside ABC Brisbane.

Some mature trees are being transported from a nursery to be planted at Southbank this morning.

6 Likes
3 Likes

This plan I found last year shows where the CTC and ABC studios and masts were on Black Mountain.

9 Likes
3 Likes