Broadcast Facilities

QTQ tower

7 Likes

There’s an Australian based MCR somewhere along the chain before it leaves the country - it never directly goes out.

1 Like

It would if satellite delivered to the overseas playout centre direct from an uplink at the OB. Asiasat comes to mind, along with Intelsat which have beams covering this country and most of Asia.

5 Likes

TCN’s Studio 22 from upcoming Ian Chappell special

10 Likes

Studio 21 I think is the main studio and it is massive. I’ve been in there a few times to see show recordings.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Set up for Seven News Brisbane from RNA

13 Likes

‘The Dish’ Added To National Heritage List

It helped broadcast man’s first steps on the moon and was immortalised on the silver screen, now ‘the dish’ in Parkes has been added to the national heritage list.

7 Likes

It’s impressive. I remember first seeing it in the early 1970s.

The news reports are selective in their wording of course, as it was Honeysuckle Creek that actually received the vision of Neil Armstrong stepping onto the surface of the Moon.

3 Likes

600 Bourke Street in Melbourne is starting to be dwarfed by new skycrapers going up around it. I wonder if there is a plan to move the digital television translator to one of the new towers?

5 Likes

That translator has always had pathetic coverage of Docklands due to buildings shielding it and underwhelming transmission power.

The other that desperately needs re-location is the one on top of the Ten building in South Yarra. It might have been the tallest structure in that area in 1992, but is barely visible now, surrounded by much taller buildings blocking the signal in a number of directions.

4 Likes

Isn’t its entire existence due to the need to provide an infill for those immediately west of the CBD? In which case one would have assumed serving Docklands with adequate signal would be a pre-requisite

Como’s a tough one - there must be so many antennas pointed at that thing throughout inner-eastern Melbourne, shifting it could cause problems as well as creating them. But I share your point that there’s been a lot of high-rise development around the site in recent years.

4 Likes

It could be moved to another taller building very close by. The one just across the road from the current site is more than 50 storeys tall. And antennas pointed at the old site wouldn’t know the difference!

2 Likes

True, as long as it stayed in the general area it should be fine

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s not an apartment building where NIMBYs will complain about radiation coming from something on their roof.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the best place to post this.

With the imminent end of 10’s news coming from Mt Coot-tha, I am wondering what the implications might be for other production from the site.

It seems that the site can be run as a news room only with any crosses to Brisbane handled without the need for a studio.

A 5-day a week bulletin would have helped keep the doors open and allowed the various children’s TV productions to continue. But is it viable to have a fully functioning studio without a full time news service on site?

2 Likes

I know the axing of Toasted TV was recently announced (Side note: Do we know of an airdate for the final episode/s yet?), but at least Totally Wild & Scope are remaining in production and will move over to 10 Shake soon?

2 Likes

Aren’t these produced out of Brisbane?

Ah yes, axe local news service but not kids shows that come out of the same studio :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. From what I’ve seen, Scope in particular has fairly extensively featured the TVQ facilities across many episodes.