Broadcast Facilities

Could that have been where the old kids shows such as Wipeout, Time Masters etc were filmed?

Renting.

They’ve almost been there 10 years now.

Yes, plus Family Feud and all other children’s programmes of the 90s. All just a memory now.

3 Likes
2 Likes

A perfect site for a Small Production House.

8 Likes

When GTV9 first moved to 717 Bourke, they should have looked at a facility which could have occupied a large general entertainment studio (branded as the Studio 9 name). With overseas content less popular in today’s market, surely there is a need for studio based content to be brought back in house.

2 Likes

Seems to be cheaper to rent studios at Docklands etc.

3 Likes

There is enough “large general entertainment studios” in Melbourne available to lease. No need for them to have their own anymore.

I recall in 2010 the long term deal with Docklands Studios Melbourne was only signed last minute before they left Bendigo St but they had options and it was always going to be either Docklands or the NEP Studios in Southbank (what’s left of the old HSV7 studios).

5 Likes

A few pics of the Nine Canberra studios I came across in Google. Came from a search for SCA Productions. Source: Krystal Hemsworth (Google)

11 Likes

Is this from the old CTV10 studios?

1 Like

Some old equipment there

1 Like

CTC7 studios, yes. They are about to be decommissioned and pulled down for a housing development.

1 Like

Really?
I thought they may have been kept with the Nine deal.
Any word on where the station is moving too?

Some pictures of when BCM was being built.

22 Likes

Wow. That’s very rare footage indeed.

I also remember seeing a photo on the Australian Media website (which has since shut down) which had an overview of the newsroom and the Seven News and Today Tonight sets (I think this was from about 2005 or 2006).

Plus there were also several shots of the news set from 2004 which was used for the 4:30 news, which had a blue wall on the presenter’s left (this was not the same as the blue TV wall set used in Sydney, Brisbane or Perth at the time) and a blue desk with a silver top. This was a modified version of the 2002-03 set.

From February 2005:
YouTube ID - FoHh-dXbGnE (for some reason I cannot post YouTube videos here)
Credit: Media and Transport Channel

1 Like

If I remember, I’ve got heaps of these caps and videos on a computer in my garage.

1 Like

I miss DJ and the upmarket 4.30 News.

5 Likes

Despite being from Sydney, I have been past the BCM a few times when I’ve been in Melbourne, just as recently as October last year.

I have also seen Seven Gold Coast weatherman Paul Burt in person, when he was presenting weather on Seven News Brisbane in January 2015.

1 Like

IIRC, the 4:30 news was quite unique in its format, with there being (almost) no sports reports for what reason I don’t know. I also liked how they had a preview to the 6:00pm news in each of the main markets, before being reduced to only a preview of the relevant market’s 6:00pm bulletin.

The bulletin also introduced weatherman David Brown to a national audience (beforehand, only Victorians knew him). These days, the only time Victorians would see him on TV is on the morning news.