Broadcast Facilities

We shouldn’t confuse Master Control with Presentation Control/Playout.
In Australian parlance, Master Control is responsible for links in and out of the station - Is the output of Presentation control going to the transmitters, are the transmitters functioning correctly, is the overseas feed available to Presentation for transmission or recording, is the news vehicle link available and patched to the studio control for the news bulletin, are the incoming video and audio levels on such links set appropriately?

Until the advent of the multi-channel play-out centres, the program/commercial feed at each station was done from what was normally called Presentation Control. The job of the person in that control room was (and still is) usually called a Presentation Coordinator (until the early 80’s they were called Continuity Producers), who worked for the Presentation department (There’s currently a vacancy for a Presentation Coordinator at Seven BCM.) The Pres. department made sure all of the scheduled material was on hand, timed, dubbed/ingested and ready for transmission, and, together with the traffic department who look after the commercial placements, produced the final schedule for the Pres. Coordinators to work from, and translating that schedule into automation playlists.

With the advent of the Multi station, Multi Channel play-out centres some of the duties shifted around a bit, especially where Presentation was outsourced to a different location or company in the case of Mediahub, and there is perhaps more emphasis on getting the scheduling correct, as the Presentation Coordinators had less time to deal with some aspects and more concerned with checking that the multiplicity of playlists are all ticking over correctly, there are no forthcoming issues with missing material, and attending to rolling breaks in live programs, and making necessary timing adjustments.

The term ‘play-out’ derived originally from the salesmen of the Television presentation software. This was originally termed ‘station automation’, but became a little redundant because a) the software started being used to control more than one ‘station’ (channel), and b) Other software started being used to automate other functions of a broadcast facility, e.g. News control room systems such as Ignite. So distinguish that which was being used for the station’s transmission, “Playout” became the vogue. Networks have started using the term as a generic, as it’s less cumbersome than Presentation control-sssss.

Now having said that, Presentation Control/Playout is usually co-located with a facility’s Master control desk, either next door or in some cases a big open room, and the roles naturally interact quite a bit.

That’s generally how it’s done, but, as has been pointed out, there is a wide divergence of procedures between networks, especially since the advent of the multi-playout centres.

BUT, in North America, “Master Control Operator” is the job we would associate with Presentation Coordinator,
and presentation/playout equipment and software is often described, even marketed as “Master Control” mixer etc

4 Likes

Really? Every time something has happened (in the past) to Martin Place, Melbourne’s BCM has taken full control. Melbourne also have a crew and reporting team ready in the newsroom (from 7am onwards) if Sunrise and The Morning Show went off air. BCM also have a secondary studio if required.

Melbourne and Sydney once shared a live weekend newscast on a Saturday presented by Rebecca Maddern (in 2015) due to a small fire in the Martin Place control room.

The Lindt Cafe Siege - Melbourne ran rolling coverage for the network, hosted by Nick Etchells.

Peter Michell also took control of rolling coverage last year, as the Martin Place studio was pre recording a Tom Cruse interview for Sunrise.

When Weekend Sunrise went off air (in 2016) BCM took control and started playing repeats of Beyond Tomorrow for the East Coast.

National Bulletins have also come from Melbourne in the past. (Morning News/Afternoon News and Today Tonight)

3 Likes

I think that’s correct. As Jacquie Felgate, Blake Johnson (let alone Peter Mitchell or Jennifer Keyte), even Nick McCallum, Nathan Templeton, Michael Felgate and Sean Sowerby can all present and at least one of them would be on ‘standby’ each day with a suit, et. al. ready as national back-up for a national bulletin or breaking news.

(e.g.)
Bourke Street massacre (1 year ago this Thursday) during the Australian Open, Jim Wilson during the afternoon had Seven News break into the telecast to update viewers on the unfolding events, with Blake Johnson standing in front of the MCR windows at BCM, until local updates in each market with respective presenters ensued.

Not sure about if Sunrise or TMS went off the air. Perhaps they’d just cancel the programs and replace with a re-run of something if nothing could be repaired during an ad break?

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work, (have to keep the TV on for you guys :wink:).

I’m just telling you, what the Seven Senior Engineer told me, when I had a guided tour of the Martin Place Studio complex.

Seven MCR in Melbourne is always in full final control, no matter where the programs are coming from, Live or otherwise.

If there’s any transmission issues Seven MCR Melbourne will ring me, if I have to do any work on the Seven transmission equipment I have to let Seven MCR Melbourne know first.

2 Likes

Sounds like you know a lot. Thank sfor that

4 Likes

I think I’ve seen Foxtel do some more of those. Maybe around 2007-2008 IIRC??

Does anyone remember when Foxtel once let a Nine promo onto one of it’s channels and let a Ten promo onto Lifestyle for some weeks?

I’m pretty sure Seven, Nine and Ten promos are normally shown on Foxtel’s channels. I remember seeing them quite often in the years I had a subscription. They would sell them air time like any other company.

4 Likes

I’ve only seen it rarely hence why I thought that it was a playout error.

Depends if someone is willing and brave enough to make a last minute change and it doesn’t go up sh*t creek.

1 Like

Speaking of this morning’s stuff up by Nine. When does Nine go into time capsule mode?

I’ve never heard of Nine doing it before. The only networks I’m aware of that go into a test mode are Ten and SCTV (they play the same Harry’s Practice on all 3 channels during the test. I think it’s Wednesday’s like Ten)

3 Likes

And Seven used to do it. Same method as SCTV where it would be one program on all channels but just LCN redirected.

I’m not sure if this is still the case (since this is pre-7Flix + MPEG4 HD) but a few years back, Seven used to go under some form of recovery mode early in the morning by showing an episode of Sons & Daughters on all three channels with no watermark and an older version of the Seven PRG.

3 Likes

Is Harry’s Practice the breakdown tape?

1 Like

Well he is a Tasmanian so it would make sense for SCTV!

2 Likes

It was when I checked last. I’ve also seen Sons and Daughters and Hook, Line and Sinker used.

Just checked the guides now and it appears they have stopped. 7TWO and 7mate marathon reality shows right through the wee hours.

It’s just whatever is broadcast on Seven is used on the other channels.