British Television

He is alleged (cannot stress this enough, alleged) to have groomed a teen (whom Phil then had the affair with after he became an adult). If it really were ‘just an affair’ then there almost certainly would be none of this carry-on that there has been. There’s probably more to come out on this.

Has the runner made a complaint? If not - it’s a non-story. The lies/cover-up of an imbalanced relationship in the workplace is the issue. Any “grooming” should not be suggested unless there’s a complaint.

1 Like

You what?! That’s like saying ‘well, rape is a non-issue as long as the victim hasn’t gone to the police’. With respect, you don’t seem to get it.

I very much do, I work in the industry here and the runner is well-known and still working in the industry. You can’t just assume he was groomed because he knew him prior to the relationship allegedly starting. You are making a potential criminal of a man who has not a single legal complaint lodged against him.

2 Likes

UK or Australia? The person Schofield had an affair with is not working in the industry anymore. I know that for a fact.

This I do agree with you on. What he allegedly did was certainly immoral but not illegal.

1 Like

The UK. Sorry, you are correct, not working anymore - but he did continue to post his ITV work for a while. I just think it’s wise not to throw around allegations without a complaint.

5 Likes

There appear to be significant questions that ITV will have to answer in this regard if there is veracity to the claims that have been made.

1 Like

If I’m understanding this correctly the affair allegedly happened as the young person was in his twenties? , so he would have been at consent of age.?Don’t think they questions any imorality of the relationship but the fact Schofield lied about it to ITV , but also would question the young person as to what they got out of it as well.

At the moment there is conflicting reports on this. I think it’s just a mess and most likely will damage him as a person and as a tv personality . I did quite like him on This Mornjng but given the situation with his brother being imprison for crimes against children , it sure leaves him with a cloud over his head.

I think iTV have a lot to answer for to be honest. If it was common knowledge that this relationship was known and they knew , then they are ducking turds as well.

2 Likes

Absolutely - obviously we’re only hearing one version of the “truth” at the moment but it appears it was a series of sexual encounters (even affair seems a stretch) between a man in his 50s and a man in his 20s.

Yes, it seems they first met at 15 (which some on social media still like to knock down to 12, 10) and yes they interacted on Twitter following that and prior to his work experience on the show aged 19.

As said the lies seem worse than the incident it self, as is so often the case. Lying to your employer will be gross misconduct, but having an affair with another employee wouldn’t and shouldn’t be unless it has an impact on your work and decisions (we’ve seen in other industries CEOs etc. leave over such things). In this case though public image and how it impacts on the show would also be a factor.

Now there are questions about the culture around This Morning and IMO the editor should have gone this week too. It seems there is a very different atmosphere when Phillip and Holly are hosting (nobody speaking directly to them) to when the alternate Friday and holiday hosts are in. Now most people spouting off on GB News about it are those with known vendettas, but been a couple of producers who’ve spoken to slightly more reputable outlets.

Alison and Dermot - the B-team who probably should become the A-team now - have done a great job covering the show. They’ve largely stayed away from the issue other than a couple of statements on the Mondays following the weekend developments, but did react to his interview in detail yesterday - with Alison “breaking down” on air.

Holly is back on Monday co-hosting with Josie Gibson. Many believe Holly should go as well - personally though I think that would likely be in the shows best interests I do think that is rather harsh on her. She claims she was lied too and didn’t know (and Phil backs that up), and frankly even if she did know so what - seems there wasn’t really much to know. I’m also interested to see if we learn how different Holly behaves when Phil isn’t around - certainly as viewers we always commented she seemed much more relaxed hosting with other people than with Phil whenever a guest host stood in.

Also a good piece from someone who worked on the show over the first 20 years, including the Phil and Fern era, working her way up to executive producer, on what needs doing to rescue the show. Essentially don’t panic!

They need strong leadership and maybe a bit of clearout of people, but it’s hard to see how its all doom-and-gloom that some are portraying it to be.

There is always a risk that when you have a key figure (and potentially multiple) leave that viewers will follow, but there may be some saving grace in the previous use of multiple hosts that could be used and not make it feel like a reinvention.

3 Likes

How utterly ridiculous.

He didn’t do anything wrong to these people! Who cares if he lied about his personal life to them? That’s his business.

Holly playing the victim there is just a joke.

I actually feel sorry for Phil.

3 Likes

Well… don’t believe everything Phil says. Ok, what he did was perfectly legal, but he’s not a good guy. He has every reason to distort things and make himself look good, in order to salvage what’s left of his career.

1 Like

Why’s he not a good guy?

1 Like

Think about it… a very powerful man using his influence to engineer a relationship (or fling, or affair, or whatever it was) with a much younger, much more junior employee (whom he’d known since 15, if not younger!). Need I explain why that might not be a good thing?

I understand that but I just don’t believe people should be punished in a professional manner for actions in their private life.

Fact is whatever happened was legal. Both gentlemen have said that. It’s no one’s business but theirs.

2 Likes

I think if they’d admitted it back in 2020 when it was first rumoured though it would have all been fine - a minor scandal quickly forgotten. The fact it was rumoured for so long and denied for so long became the problem.

It was right for Schofield to go, and I do think it’s unfair people argue Holly should go too because “she knew”, even when she clearly didn’t know anything other than the rumours - and even if she did ultimately even if she knew there is really nothing to know.

That statement does read better than it came across on TV - they probably should have had a little round table discussion as they did last week rather than a piece straight to camera (which rarely comes off well), but hopefully the show can now begin to move on - though they’ve got the internal inquiry and questioning at Parliament of execs (firstly tomorrow in a session which was already planned, and now a seperate session next week specific to this) which will keep bringing it up.

It amazes me that someone so clearly intelligent and perceptive as you completely falls for the narrative pushed by Phil and friends. The fact is we don’t know what Holly knew (if anything!). None of us here do. The only person who does know what Holly Willoughby knew… is Holly Willoughby!

Whether she stays on This Morning or not is probably irrelevant at this point (my gut feeling is she will, but as part of a rotating group of presenters, not as half of the main duo). What is relevant is, as you rightly say, what comes up at the Parliament inquiries very soon.

1 Like

The BGT grand final will be shown on Seven at the end of June.

2 Likes