British Television

That’s just horrible. I hope he can sue for wrongful dismissal and set his family up.

2 Likes

Grey area as they paid out his existing contract and have a proveable reason for why they couldn’t rehire him, however unjustified it is. That really should be on the insurance company who are discriminating in this case, and suing them may be of more use for others in similar positions than suing one employer.

1 Like
1 Like

The end of today’s show confirmed that the series will be returning with a 2023 All Star version from Kruger National Park in South Africa in addition to the normal season. “favourite celebrities who previously competed during the show’s 20-year-history”.

The Sun reports

The 15-strong group of celebrities - the largest ever to take part in the iconic ITV series - have completed filming for the programme, which is set to air next year.

1 Like
1 Like

A tricky one this. As a licence fee payer it’s great to have a wealth of archive content on the service (and so many of the classic comedies for example are, or at least get put up over Christmas). However also you feel it is content the BBC should be monetising, although in the grand scheme of things they’ve probably milked what they can out of such content already so the value in providing them to licence fee payers outweighs the cost a third party might be willing to pay.

1 Like

It’s crazy that the BBC was in a regulatory position where they couldn’t choose whether to have it on iPlayer or monetise it.

Have the BBC given any indication of what they are going to put on iPlayer?

2 Likes

It’s generally been to their advantage though with their archive being so valuable in the early days of satellite and cable, plus a strong video/DVD market too - a revenue stream all but cut off now.

4 Likes

C4 are launching their Christmas ident tonight to mark 40 years of The Snowman. They did one ten years ago to mark it’s 30th anniversary, which co-incided with a new animation The Snowman and the Snowdog.

Just wondering are those shown annually in Australia?

3 Likes

The full report from Creative Diversity Network

2 Likes

The Channel 4 indents? No of course not.

Well no one else uses BSL, so it’s technically true.

I’m pretty confident Brekkie is talking about The Snowman & the sequel

It seems to be a bit of a UK Christmas tradition - not sure whether its been shown here or not

2 Likes

Sorry :man_facepalming:

I’ve definitely seen them on TV here, but not really a tradition at all.

The sequel has been on what was ABC2 at the time in 2014; not sure if it has made an appearance again.

1 Like

Yes, was talking about the show itself. I guess the Carols by Candlelight concerts is the closest thing Australian television has to an annual Christmas tradition.

The oddest is the annual airing of Dinner for One in Germany and Scandanavian and a few other European countries.

1 Like

Dinner For One is a tradition to be shown on SBS on New Year’s Eve since 1989.

I found an article from 2016 about it here: Broadcast on SBS for 30 years: How 'Dinner For One' became a NYE tradition

3 Likes

My favourite annual tradition is dinner for two

Didn’t realise it had aired so long in Australia too. It’s just not a thing in Britain other than it being flagged as a German tradition. It has aired the last few years on Sky but I just don’t get the appeal of it.

1 Like