British Television

ITV and PBS America, which previously made Downton Abbey, are coproducing an 8-part period drama based on Jane Austen’s unfinished final novel, Sanditon. BBC Studios is distributing the series internationally.

The movie version of Downton Abbey is going ahead.

ITV has renewed Grand Designs for the 19th series, which will consist of seven episodes.

1 Like

BBC has axed apocalyptic drama Hard Sun after just one season. The show was uploaded to 7plus in March after the first episode aired on Seven.

More Courtney Act for the UK.

1 Like

The Australian broadcaster for Bodyguard is yet to be announced. It is distributed by ITV Studios Global Entertainment so either ABC, Seven or BBC First may get it.

1 Like

Downton Abbey movie has gone into production with new cast members revealed.

Even though Seven showed the TV series, Nine could get the rights to the movie through its existing deal with NBC Universal.

EDIT 20/9: the movie will be released on September 13 next year.

There will be two TV specials this November to celebrate Prince Charles’ 70th birthday. One is a BBC documentary which involved the crew following the Prince of Wales for months. The other is an ITV comedy and magic special at the London Palladium, called We Are Most Amused and Amazed, with proceeds going towards the Prince’s Trust charity. It will be interesting to see if Nine or ABC will get its hands on the specials.

Watched Bodyguard on BBC. Absolutely amazing television.

1 Like

Big fan of Bodyguard writer Jed Mercurio’s ability to fashion a story and build tension with twists and turns. Line of Duty was brilliant and I fell in love with Keeley Hawes watching it.

I had intended to hold off and enjoy Bodyguard over a couple of nights when the entire series had screened but read the great reviews and couldn’t resist. You can understand why British audiences are tuning in in droves to watch this considering the potential for spoilers to ruin the enjoyment. The motivations of the characters are certainly keeping me guessing. It is amazing television and thoroughly deserves the good reviews. Can’t wait to see how the story plays out.

2 Likes

i’m looking forward to Bodyguard

With Jodie Whittaker now starring in Doctor Who, she has been replaced in the other BBC drama Trust Me by Alfred Enoch (How to Get Away with Murder).

For those who are waiting to see Bodyguard, it will be streamed on Netflix from October 24.

1 Like
1 Like

Well, Sky News Australia’s relationship with Sky News UK will get complicated from now on.

Full rebrand for BBC Two to be unveiled later this week.

Not for the next few years, there’d be supply and brand agreements in place.

Once those contracts expire any number of things could happen including Sky News in Australia rebranding,

The other possibility is that Sky here could decide to changes things earlier, but with contracts in place you’d have to assume they still need to keep paying franchise fees to London.

3 Likes