British Radio

Just before 10:30pm AEST (1:30pm in the UK) this evening I heard an edited version of “Black Magic” by Little Mix on Capital FM. This version omitted Jesy Nelson’s verse (the lyric starts with “if you’re looking for Mr Right…”) and the second chorus; so immediately after the first chorus it went straight to the breakdown (“all the girls on the block knockin’ at my door…”).

Wonder what the reason for this edited version could be - could it possibly be because Jesy left the group at the end of 2020? That’s one theory I have…

R2 has become my goto music stream at work. It used to be Smooth Brisbane but the music selection is so narrow it gets annoying. R2 has a great selection and is so ecclectic its enjoyable

3 Likes

Agree. The thing I love about R2 is it’s eclectic, adventurous, yet also mainstream at the same time. You still hear mainstream music along with the adventurous stuff. This is something the ABC has not mastered with stations like Double J.

2 Likes

If I can’t sleep or wake up during the night I listen to BBC R2 ,the drive time programme ,about 1-4am AEST.It’s entertaining and I hear some great tunes👍
Anytime is a good time to listen to them.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Found on twitter, some station in the UK claiming to be on DAB. Wouldn’t happen here… would it?

2 Likes

I’m just trying to work out which station it is. My local station, GHR (North Derbyshire), isn’t officially on DAB despite previously claiming to be, but it’s a slightly weird situation.

There are technically two stations in Derbyshire.
One with Derbyshire news and Midlands programming (formerly Ashbourne Radio & High Peak Radio); the other with Derbyshire news and Yorkshire programming (formerly Peak FM).

Because the regions are determined based on ITV regions and where the station is officially licensed, the station that was Peak FM straddles two areas, but gets Yorkshire programming because it’s licensed in the Yorkshire section. In one half, there’s Yorkshire programming on FM, but Midlands on DAB and Derbyshire news on both. And in the other, Derbyshire news is only on FM, with the DAB version being fully Yorkshire focused.

3 Likes

It’s an odd claim to make, it’s not like it’s immediately verifiable…

3 Likes

@BBI45 - can you receive Radio Caroline locally? It’s on a few local multiplexes in the UK but they seem to be mainly on the periphery of the major population centres. I think it’s available in Birmingham, though.

The Radio Caroline analogue service on 648 AM can be heard quite well in SE England and also across the Channel in the Netherlands, Belgium and parts of France. It’s my favourite station from the UK…classic rock and album rock is my musical preference.

2 Likes

It’s at times when Frequency Finder will answer your question. The closest place to me that can get Radio Caroline is northern Birmingham.

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Some pitiful emergency ‘coverage’ from the BBC over the weekend. Starting to understand the extent that Local Radio has been gutted.

4 Likes

British radio ratings

5 Likes
3 Likes

The article implies some BBC stations were local into the evening, is that correct?

Most seem like they were fully local between 6am and 10pm, and some all the way to their closing time of 1am (after which they simulcast 5 Live and an early-breakfast hour from London), although some sub-regional networking had started occurring after 10pm.

Appears that (at least on weekdays) the 2-6pm slot will be “sub-regional” networked while 6-10pm will be so on a larger regional scale (and they mention the national program after 10pm that’s been brought in).

2 Likes

Thanks @Spi, sure is a sad situation there.

1 Like
2 Likes