Binge

The website will be bingetv.com.au. A possible squatter (?) bought binge.com.au in March.

It’s just a terrible name.

4 weeks out from suspected launch. And foxtel has not even confirmed this. At recently as last week the CEO said things like “if we wanted to do a streaming service in the future”

No confirmation
No ñame
No programming
No details
Nothing confirmed

HBO Max and Peacock were named And confirmed 18 months before launch.

1 Like

Yeah we get it, you don’t like the name

So? It will be good to see a service announced and launched within a short space of time - these extended periods between the to are just ridiculous

2 Likes

I think there are better smarts at Warner, NBCUniversal and Disney than Foxtel.

All 3 announced 18 months out

So I believe there must be be market and business advantages to that.

Disney + had 26 million subs in 6 weeks, because there has been 18 months of marketing and buzz.

what you call “just ridiculous” streaming companies call strategy.

I think we can all agree Foxtel has not been great with strategy

That’s a big “so”

2 Likes

These extended launch timings is simply copying the tech industry’s modern push to artificially generate hype about a product before it goes on sale, it adds nothing (and longer term becomes a pretty lacklustre strategy)

A quality product or offering shouldn’t need extended marketing or buzz

What shit - Disney+ was always going to be successful on the back of the content alone - not to mention that Disney have pretty much removed all of the content on Disney+ from all other streamers.

3 Likes

I’ll let Hollywood know there is a guy on MediaSpy that says the whole industry is wrong and he’s right.

I’ll also let Tim Cook know he doesn’t need to create buzz for his Apple products 12 months out.

Likewise cars, Hollywood blockbusters and airline.

Because if they had good products they wouldn’t need to do this

What good is “buzz” anyway? Right?

Apple is actually a really good example where trying to create a buzz/hype isnt working like it used to - gone are the days of the lines around several blocks for their products.

2 Likes

Wow, looks like Foxtel were able to secure the clean Binge name for all their social media handles.

Instagram - https://instagram.com/binge

Twitter - https://twitter.com/binge

Facebook - http://facebook.com/binge

All accounts were established recently, in the last few months.

Binge.com.au also defaulting to register.binge.com.au as well.

Also interesting is that the FB page for Binge was originally called “Aresdummy”.

1 Like

Not surprising considering the code name for the service was Project Ares, so that makes sense.

Perhaps they were able to get the binge.com.au domain name back, which would explain why it’s directing to a register page which isn’t active yet.

It’s a shame they weren’t able to secure the binge.com domain name as it looks like it’s about to be in use soon for some entertainment service.

2 Likes

Not surprised - Kayo has a lot of references to “martian” (which was the codename for Kayo) particularly in the streams

“The future of entertainment” Just 10 years to late Fox! :joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

The screenshot killy06 posted isn’t from the Foxtel Binge service - it’s something unrelated to them

2 Likes

Launches in one week, on Monday, Patrick Delany the CEO of Foxtel has told The Australian. Foxtel has still not confirmed that the name of the service is Binge.

The much-anticipated streaming drama package will launch in just a week on May 25. However Foxtel is not confirming the name of the service (that many think will be called Binge) until later this week.

Other details to be revealed late this week include the pricing packages and confirmation of content, including expected new Australian commissions.

Foxtel has revealed that the service will offer more than 10,000 hours of the best local and international drama and movies.

Foxtel has also revealed that the content will be powered with an extensive collection of drama and movies from Warner Bros, HBO, HBO Max, Sony, NBCU, FX and the BBC.

I really hope its not called Binge. It just seems like a total rip off of the channel they had back in the day of the same name.

1 Like

Trying to understand the strategy behind hiding the name so long. If it is BINGE, then we already know and they should have done a better job at hiding it. If it is not BINGE, do they feel that by hiding the name up until a few days out helps them somehow?

Interesting they say the product is aimed " at part of the Australian market who either don’t want to pay for our premium product or who have decided Foxtel is not for them.

So it sounds like they are not targeting Netflix or Stan, but rather people who feel Foxtel is too expensive

In that case - will the rumored $15 a mont be cheap enough?

Netflix and Stan are $10

I do think it is low enough. While the cheapest Netflix plan is $10, I don’t know anyone who is actually on it. I and I’m guessing most others are on the Standard $14 plan, which is only $1 less than the Foxtel offering.

My biggest reservation is whether they keep some content Foxtel exclusive by not putting it on the platform, and what it would possibly be

I wouldn’t be signing up if it was $15 a month. If they do some sort of Kayo+Binge package I might consider it.

Those $10 packages are single-screen, SD only - if Binge come out with an entry offering greater then that I dont think its comparable.

I’d consider replacing my Foxtel Now subscription with it (but I’d probably lose the live news channels which is the main reason why I have FN), I suspect that given Delaney has spoken about it, there is an expectation that Binge will more then likely cannibalise their own subscriber-base across both their satellite and existing streaming offering