Big Brother

Over half the contestants are aged 30+ (11).

The average age is 31.85 the oldest average cast we’ve ever had on Big Brother Australia. Given the average age in the TEN series was around 24 and NINE’s was 26, this is a massive improvement. To reach an average age above 30 is great to see. Even the prime of TEN had average age of 22-23 so there is quite a broad range of housemates selected. Personally I like what I see and read about the 12 that weren’t revealed rather than the 8 that received promos. They all seemed to have media backgrounds? However the new 12 all seem to be interesting regular people with interesting stories and backgrounds. It’s also strange how almost all of them say they hate lying and backstabbing, looks like the series won’t be too strategic as we thought then.

I’m with Zac - I hate the new Survivor-lite format as well

Not sure if we can now say Big Brother is being launched as the launchpad to relaunch Seven. Think the plans for a relaunch (eg; IIRC there were reports last year of the station getting a new look + 7flix’s format changing) have somewhat gone out the window due to the Coronavirus and the postponing of the Tokyo Olympics.

To be fair, this version of Big Brother isn’t a “a nostalgic trip down memory lane” considering how different the format is compared to the 10 and Nine iterations. However, the problem with attaching the Big Brother name to the new format is (as discussed here a lot) what people think the show will be (based on what BB has been in this country) is wildly different to what it will be.

In regards to the lack of buzz, that’s Seven’s fault for not executing an effective promotional campaign. One of the major problems the network has is it’s seemingly unable to successfully launch new shows whereas Nine & 10 can - a contributing factor to that is they don’t seem to implment the right promotional strategies to give those shows the best opportunity to succeed. I can’t see how Big Brother will buck that trend.

Agree 100% - I think what you outlined touches upon something Tom said a few days ago:

There was so much potential for Big Brother to be relaunched in a way which would have engaged younger viewers whilst retaining the critical elements diehard fans love about the show. Instead, what Seven are about to launch a show which does neither

5 Likes

Yep. The twenty-somethings which loved shows such as Big Brother in 2001 are the fourty-something viewers of 2020 who’s viewing tastes have hopefully, matured a bit almost two decades on.

Who here is honestly surprised that Seven would produce a “family friendly” version of Big Brother? This is exactly how the network has sold most of its programming as (although whispers in the media suggest Seven’s behind the scenes culture apparently has been/is anything but family friendly) for the past 25 years, if not longer.

1 Like

Some of the youth media outlets and prob DM are sussing out all the IGs of the HMs to see what we’re in for. But they are kidding themselves if they don’t think channel 7 have full control of them and are curating what they want to be perceived.

Agree. Most of their promos look almost exactly the same in terms of formatting and style. All MKR/HR/AGT promos look and sound too similar and it’s boring.

Needs some excitement and buzz embedded within them instead of the same old ‘backstory —> performance —> good comments —> crying —> repeat’ format for all their promos.

1 Like

You can read the synopses of the first three episodes in the newest Seven Schedule.

Such an arrigant comment to make. Seriously what business is it over yours of someones viewing habits ? Hey i just finished watching the first season 1 of Big Brother on youtube, and bought back a lot of memories. One day your viewing habits will be old and you will get mocked for it 20 years down the track on Mediaspy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

BB almost here
Sonia on TV Week
Lots of promos on all the housemates
and guess what, we still don’t know who wins !

This is the worst haiku I’ve ever read.

3 Likes

Well we certainly know the viewers don’t win!

3 Likes

…and Seven will be the biggest losers.

No doubt that’ll be the next crusty, old franchise they bring back from the dead. I might even watch that one just to see Commando and Michelle Bridges reunited.

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

Tell us. How does it feel to program Australia’s No.2 (No.3 in demo) network Angus Ross?

I’m seriously questioning the mindset of Seven programmers. There must be some kind of directive from the top to program the drivel they’ve come up with. No one with half a brain would even consider commissioning what they’ve commissioned over the years yet they’re still there doing damage to the once heritage network.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me if this was a tactical move to keep a hold of Seven’s domination in Perth.

1 Like

I thought the house was/is being dismantled…

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is any different to what we’ve seen on TV. Survivor, I’m a Celebrity, Love Island, Married at First Sight, MKR this year, Bachelor/rette/Paradise are all similar to Big Brother. This version of Big Brother doesn’t have anything that is different to what we see nowadays.

2 Likes

The outside has been dismantled but not the inside.

3 Likes

Ahh interesting. As I had thought the whole thing had been dismantled. I’d go as toi far that it will only last week in its timeslot and then be aired at 4am in the morning for the rest of season only season.

Such a waste of an opportunity to bring it back in the original form as to why itwas successful in the first place. Wasted.

1 Like

And with restrictions starting to ease I think they would be able to produce the live format right now (albeit without a physical audience present).

1 Like

source?

I’m not questioning, just curious