Betting and Gambling (and remember, Please Gamble Responsibly)

Interesting that the call to ban on soccer shirt sponsorships by betting firms comes not from anti-gambling groups, but from a betting firm itself.

I find the Ladbrokes A-frame sandwich boards outside newsagents that encourage people to deposit and withdraw in/out of their betting account extremely offensive.

The NSW government now effectively owns shares in about 50 racehorses after the NSW Crime Commission seized all the property and assets of alleged cocaine importer and colourful racing identity Damion Flower.

James Packer has sold half of his stake in Crown Resorts to Hong Kong’s Melco Resorts and Entertainment for $1.76 billion. Melco is run by Lawrence Ho, son of the gambling tycoon Stanley Ho.

That’s pretty much a giant chunk taken out of English and Scottish league sponsorships.

ACMA finds Lottoland in breach of the Interactive Gambling Act

An Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) investigation has found that Lottoland Australia Pty Ltd has breached the Interactive Gambling Act 2001 (the Act) by providing prohibited interactive gambling services.

The ACMA investigation found that several Lottoland online jackpot betting services were games of chance which are prohibited under the Act.

These included the Mon & Wed Jackpot, Tue Jackpot, Thu Jackpot, US Millions, and US Power jackpot betting services.

Lottoland disputes the ACMA’s findings and has commenced legal proceedings.

Lottoland’s service, Daily Millions, was not found to breach the Act.

The ACMA will not be making further comment while legal proceedings are on foot.

New look Lotto draws being conducted at the studios of BTQ-7 Brisbane using a green screen set from tonight.

The way the winning numbers are drawn remains the same, but from tonight Aussie lottery players will notice a new look to the nation’s televised lottery draws.

Using a new green screen set, the lottery draws for Saturday Lotto, Monday & Wednesday Lotto, Oz Lotto and Powerball can now give viewers a taste of that winning lifestyle – from million-dollar mansions to cash factories.

While visual effects will add a new dimension to the broadcast, the way televised draws are conducted remains the same – using ball drawing machines at Channel 7’s Brisbane studios under the supervision of government regulators.

Our new digital set for televised draws aimed to inspire Aussies to dream about of what they would do with a division one win.
Ever since the first lottery draw was broadcast in Victoria in 1972, they’ve continued to evolve. From the grainy black and white days of the ‘70s, through the bright neons of the ‘80s to today’s high definition, newly-minted millionaires have seen their winning numbers drawn in many different ways.

The new set design will make the televised draws more dynamic and complement the new generation of lottery draw machines, complete with new vividly coloured lottery balls, that were brought into play last year.

As always, government regulators continue their watchful eye over all draw proceedings, ensuring each entry into a lottery draw is accounted for and the draws are conducted according to strict procedures.

The drawing of the winning numbers in each draw might only take about 90 seconds, but over the decades these draws have changed the lives of thousands of Australian division one winners.

Lottery draws are televised on 7TWO after 8.30pm AEST every day of the week except for Friday and Sunday.

1 Like

Tonight’s $40 Million Powerball draw gave us the opportunity to see how one looks on Seven’s main channel, so it’s time for a fact check!

Sorry, but that’s a no from me. The picture of the draw is upconverted SD (pretty much what we’ve come to expect from Seven Brisbane, as I’m sure TV Cynic knows all too well) while the chroma key set just looks cheap and tacky!

2 Likes

You don’t really need a whole set and presenter nowadays for these sorts of shenanigans. You could just do a random number generator and the network announcer if required.

2 Likes

Next week’s Powerball jackpot will be a mind boggling $110 million, after no one won $80 million division one prize in tonight’s draw.

Update 18/7: there were three winners in the $110 million Powerball draw, each winning $36.6 million.

There is an unusual full page ad in today’s Herald Sun. I assume it’s by TAB or a sports betting company as there is a small caption of Gambler’s Help phone line on the bottom.

UPDATE 25/8: it is indeed by TAB. Here is the same ad in the green background in today’s Sunday Herald Sun.

No winner of tonight’s $100 million Powerball jackpot. Eight tickets won a second division prize of $173,767.85.

$150 million is the biggest lotto jackpot in Australian history.

1 Like

I sure could do with $150 mill

In the very highly unlikely chance that a Media Spy member manages to win the $150 Million (or a share of it) next Thursday night, can they give me $20? Or if that’s too much, I’d be willing to settle for a packet of chips and a can of Coke! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nobody needs that amount of money. I find these huge jackpots quite obscene and would prefer to see them capped or distributed amongst the lesser divisions when they don’t go off for so long.

I’ve contributed $10 to a syndicate at work (you’d feel like crap if they won and you were one of the few who didn’t go in it) and will probably go halves in a ticket with a family member. I tend to steer clear of these games with astronomical odds.

I know a family who won first division Lotto in the 1980s and it tore them apart. I wouldn’t tell a soul if I won. I’d help out my immediate family but probably wouldn’t tell them how I came by the money. I’ve been screwed over and used by quite a few people in my life but there are a handful of very decent, genuine people who have stood by me over the years that I’d ensure were looked after if I won something really significant. Syd can have his packet of chips and can of coke.

5 Likes

I agree.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t like having a bit more cash in my life (Surely everyone here wants to have as secure access to food and a roof over their head as they can?), but $150 million is far too much. An excess of money can corrupt a person just as much as an excess of power.

Sadly, there are a fair few stories around the internet about how lottery winners have blown the lot (or just about the lot) and are essentially back at square one.

Of course I wasn’t being entirely serious with my request of a packet of chips and a can of Coke if anyone on Media Spy wins the $150 Million on Thursday night (even though I’d appreciate that of course), but…

:thumbsup:

1 Like

I’m happy to be corrupted with that amount or any fraction of it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seven News encouraging viewers to put on bigger entries in tonight’s Powerball.