Betting and Gambling (and remember, Please Gamble Responsibly)

1 Like

So who IS suitable if everyone is unsuitable lol.

1 Like

Next week’s Powerball will have a record-breaking $160 million jackpot, after no one had the winning entry for the first division prize of $100 million in tonight’s draw. According to The Lott, if one person scores the entire $160 million Powerball jackpot next Thursday, they will also become the biggest Australian lottery winner in history. In early 2019, a Sydney nurse became Australia’s current individual lottery record-holder when she won $107,575,649.08 in Powerball.

The previous biggest jackpot in Australian lottery history was $150 million (also set by Powerball) in September 2019, but was shared between three winners.

While Australian lotteries have been conducted for more than a century, there have only been nine Australian lottery draws that have offered a prize worth $100 million or higher – eight of these have been offered by Powerball.

UPDATE 28/10: there were three winning entries in Thursday’s record $160 million Powerball draw, each receiving more than $53 million. The winners are from Victoria, NSW and WA (a syndicated of 20 people).

3 Likes
2 Likes

This is a step in the right direction, but there should be stricter time limits imposed on TV advertising… There were too many ads, betting “updates” during Nine’s NRL coverage this year for instance.

3 Likes
1 Like

A year to prove for three months suspension, did I read that right?

1 Like

None of these investigations seem to be serious about taking the licences away, they’ve all given long runways for compliance

3 Likes

This is a rarity….

Of the 6 from 45 numbers drawn in tonight’s Lotto, 4 of them were 1, 2, 3 and 4 (34 and 36 were the other two).

2 Likes

I went to a club today in my local area that had recently opened a new gaming lounge and bar area.

I asked for a soft drink, and they asked me if I was playing the pokies. My reply was “No, why do you ask?” They told me because soft drinks are complimentary if you were playing the pokies.

I was a bit gobsmacked, I think it’s wrong that they provide such inducements for people to gamble. I know it’s probably not a new thing, but I think this kind of thing helps to create problem gamblers - same goes for those VIP Lounges in pubs which I imagine also provide free drinks to pokie players.

3 Likes