Better Homes and Gardens

Grant Denyer on this week’s episode. Is he coming back to 7?

There will be a 90-minute gardening special on Seven on Saturday, July 29 at 7pm. It will air on 7two in Melbourne and Adelaide at the same time, due to live AFL.

2 Likes

I reckon this would’ve been planned for a weeknight 7:30pm after Home and Away as filler and expected to do 300k+ metro (the regular series has been doing well in 2023 and hit a high on Friday with recent weeks well above 400k including high 100k in Melbourne and outrating the AFL), not Saturday 7pm where it’ll be lucky to pull 250k.

The Irish segments will air over two episodes (August 4 and 11).

2 Likes

How well did the Tuesday episode do

1 Like

2 Likes

The full interview article with Melissa King can be found via this link.

2 Likes

2023 Season Final is Friday 1 December 7:00 PM

3 Likes

Better Homes and Gardens farewells Fast Ed

Much-loved presenter hangs up TV apron after 20 years

After 20 years of sharing his quick and easy recipe ideas on Australia’s #1 lifestyle program Better Homes and Gardens, Ed Halmagyi has decided to hang up his TV apron.

Fast Ed will step away from Better Homes and Gardens in two weeks to focus on a personal business venture, with his final episode airing Friday, December 1 on Channel 7 and [7plus](file://nsw-jb-fs2/Publicity/Kate%20Amphlett/Chris%20Brown/Releases/7plus.com.au).

“After more than two decades of sharing recipes as a presenter on Better Homes and Gardens, I have made the decision to step back from my role on the show,” Ed said.

“I never intended to work in television, it just kind of happened. In 2004 I was asked to do a screen test, and the fact I am still here on Better Homes and Gardens 20 years later is equal parts fantastic and bizarre. This is the longest job I have ever had, and it’s time for me to have a new adventure.”

“I have been honoured to get the chance to tell stories to people who love food every week and be part of this amazing show that is part of Australia’s fabric. I will certainly miss being a part of Australia’s Friday nights and working alongside my Better Homes and Gardens family.

“I started out as a pastry chef and there’s something about baking that continues to call me. As someone whose life is so deeply invested in all things from the oven, the idea of creating a truly authentic and spectacular Jewish bakery has been simmering within me for nearly a decade, so Avner’s (my Hebrew name) is coming to life, with bagels, bialys, babka, rugelach and the most killer potato bread you’ve ever tried!”

Better Homes and Gardens Executive Producer, Russell Palmer, said: “Better Homes and Gardens has been a big part of so many lives for close to 30 years and Ed is a huge part of that success.

“He is constantly changing the way food is presented on the show and has remained true to his family-friendly, budget-focussed approach, which speaks to the heart of our audience. It goes without saying that his contribution to the show’s popularity has been immense.

“Ed is also a much loved part of the Better Homes and Gardens family and we’ll miss his professionalism and sense of humour.”

Fast Ed’s successor has been appointed and will be announced in early 2024.

6 Likes

Fast Ed’s cooking is one of my favourite segments on the show. He has provided lots of shortcuts and cheats without compromising on the flavour of the finished dish. Sad to see him leaving.

5 Likes

+1 :pensive:

2 Likes

Dami Im is special guest on next Friday’s season finale.

1 Like

Better Homes And Gardens Summer takes over from Friday 8 December on 7Two in all markets except Perth where it is on the main channel.

2 Likes

I love how this show has kept evolving to keep viewer interest. Obviously trends etc change over time but despite the age of the show it still feels fresh. I’m definitely going to miss Ed though.

4 Likes

News Corp reports several names are believed to be in contention to replace Ed Halmagyi. The apparent shortlist includes Melissa Leong, Julie Goodwin, Sarah Todd, Adam Liaw, Dessert Masters contestant Morgan Hipworth and Nagi Maehashi of Recipe Tin.

1 Like

Recycling past MasterChef alumni, very original idea there 7.

2 Likes

I hope they find an unknown who can build up their own reputation on the show. They’ve already got Karen Martini doing the ‘fancy’ cooking so they need someone who’ll do more simple food. Melissa Leong would probably be too expensive if they hired her for 1-2 segments per week.

5 Likes

That list doesn’t exactly scream BH&G, I reckon it’s BS (as much as I’d love to see some of them on there, what a coup for Morgan, but isn’t Melissa still contracted to 10 - Dessert Masters is still on the air!)

She’s been there for a very long time now too, what 2006? Wouldn’t be surprised to see her depart in coming seasons too.

As for Graham and Dr Harry, they’ll probably just wait until they decide they can’t do it anymore, being retirement age for years now anyway and the longest running stars (the former since the OG season).

And can’t see Johanna leaving Seven (like Bruce McAvaney) having been at the network on/off for three decades and probably has a watertight contract anyway, unless something major happens like a too good to refuse offer from Nine or 10 or another career change and she’ll be celebrating 20 years on the show next year too.

3 Likes

Greg from the Youtube Channel Greg’s Kitchen in Qld ?

As Ed told TV Week in an interview published in this week’s issue, Ed was an unknown until 20 years ago when he was asked to audition for a segment on Sydney Weekender. The producer at that time was married to the series producer of BH&G who saw the audition clip, so the latter asked Ed to come to a screen test. The rest is history.

4 Likes