Best on-air presentation

My favs:
2004-2006 Channel 9 (slightly over the 2002-2004 one)

2002-2007 Channel 10
vlcsnap-2019-06-23-18h43m59s292
2001-2002 Channel 9
vlcsnap-2019-06-23-18h50m51s763
late 2003 Channel 7
vlcsnap-2019-06-23-18h36m46s501
And Channel 10 from 1999/2000 (don’t have an ident from my collection for that one!)

3 Likes

Agreed. Still looks great to this day, same can’t be said for most on-air pres from the same era.

1 Like

7’s late 2003 Lucky 7 look was slick before the revolution began

Seven’s Lucky Number 7 (late 2003).

Vlcsnap-2016-05-20-13h15m34s099

Funny how there was a similarly-named jingle used during the summer of 1981/82.

ADS7_1981-82_Summer

The 2003 version was a revival of the earlier jingle

1 Like

Okay, I’ll take this thread on by doing the best on-air presentation element from each network. The only rules are that I’m limiting it to things I actually saw on TV for myself, not things I’ve watched back on YouTube years later.

ABC:

I think the last run of the metal logo did it the best. Probably not this specific ident, but that package was well put together, before the switch to being ‘ABC1’.

Seven:

This was a really tough one, with the 90s era production ender a toss of the coin for my favourite from Seven.

Ten:

Ten did a lot of nice stuff with their choice of music based idents in the early-mid 2000s, but this is a standout.

Nine:

Lots of good stuff from Nine over the years, and I’m a huge fan of the coloured days era, but this was the peak for mine.

Channel 31:

I didn’t watch a whole lot of Channel 31, but there was something really memorable about these idents.

SBS:

Not really fussed on the visual - probably the last package with the 5 segment logo was my favourite - but these were always a sign you’re in for some exciting programming.
5 Likes

A number of flops as well as very bad ratings in Melbourne (where it finished third) were to blame. Not to mention it was also the middle year of the five-year period in which it did not have the AFL or any major winter sports.

For Channel TEN:
The 2009 Look (although I still like the calm piano music).

The 2006 Look

The November 2018-onwards look

1 Like

I loved the long-running “Seriously… Ten”, but the 2007 year in particular with all the “I believe…” idents, as well as the ad break bumpers, line-ups, etc. All themed and recorded with then various Paramount-CBS personalities (such as NCIS cast). NB/ 10 had just picked up that output too.

Examples:

Network ID

(Thanks to CQTVNetwork)

News ID

(Thanks to Andrew Aotearoa)

Ad break bumper

(thanks to Anthony 78977)

Next ID?

(thanks to CQ again)
3 Likes

Summer Packages

Seven (2003-2004)

Nine (2007-2008)

Ten (2009-2010)

4 Likes

I liked 7’s catchy Brand Spankin’ New summer look for summer 2003/04 before the grunge look

Who sings this 2009-10 package ident for Ten?

The brilliant on-air package launched on 7 just before the 2000 Olympics Opening Ceremony

4 Likes

My favourite On-Air Presentation packages of all time are the same as yours, although I’d probably say that just about any Channel Nine Idents from the Early 1980s (or whenever they started doing “flyaround” IDs centred around the map of Australia) until the mid-2000s were pretty good.

In my personal opinion, the best On-Air Presentation package of the last 10 years (at least on the main FTA channels) was Channel Nine’s 2012-15 package. Just a pity that we never really got to see it in HD though!

None of the looks currently used on our FTA networks are particularly exciting IMO, although I am optimistic that Nine might have something special in store for the move to North Sydney.

It’s a pity that the “X TEN” logo only really lasted about 18 months. The darker 1989 Ident looked like one which probably still would’ve worked on-screen as we headed into the Early 1990s unlike the “TV Australia” Logo which if it wasn’t for the on-screen animation, looked like something which easily could’ve been from a decade earlier! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I reckon the 2002 version definitely improved this package. I would say this is my favourite One To Watch Era Ident

Unsure if this version ever went to air in full but it shows a version of 2001.

8 Likes

That one is bloody good. Two minutes long though! We’re lucky to get a five second one now…

3 Likes

It was just so well executed and created. Almost a little story about 7 - Each scene so well planned and thought out.
Love how Georgie Parker was the start of the story in all of the One To Watch Era too.

There was another version I remember seeing but can’t find the YouTube video of it where it has one of the colourful men on the big 7 made of tvs and he dives off it. That was also great.

But yes, two minutes long.

Ah the days when they didn’t sell every single second of airtime to make $$ including the branding of the station… memories

2 Likes

Prime really ruined this ident with that ridiculous stock music. The proper version is so good. I love the shift the music makes at 1:21. Really uplifting.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, there were many shorter versions of Seven’s 2000/01/02 Idents produced for more regular airplay.

The full 1 or 2 minute versions were probably just shown for a few weeks or so after they launched? Because I find it incredibly hard to believe that they were played all the time when Nine seemed to only air their yearly Launch Promos/Idents on air for a few weeks over Summer before the normal/shorter Idents resumed?

Correct! There are many shorter versions posted.
The creator involved with these indents uploaded quite a few variations to his YouTube channel.

There’s a lot of branding including some others have already mentioned 1999 - 2005