BBC News/World News

4 Likes

Was BBC World news roughly the 2nd news channel in world to launch after CNN?

I think Sky News UK launched after CNN, then CBC Newsworld in Canada? Happy to be corrected however!

ABC America was a partner in Satellite News Channel (SNC), CNN’s first cable news competitor, that launched in June 1982 but only lasted until October the following year.

1 Like

BBC Studios will become responsible for the commercial management of BBC Global News Ltd (GNL), bringing all international commercial activities under single leadership. Editorial control and operation of the BBC World News channel will move to the public service news operation, with its international advertising and distribution provided by GNL. These changes will take place later this year.

1 Like

There was also WSJN (now WJPX) in Puerto Rico, which had an all-news format between 1987 and 1990…

…and Mexico’s ECO, which launched in 1988:

(By the way, I suggest that we continue the discussion in THIS thread.)

1 Like
1 Like

I must say, the sombre version of the BBC News countdown sounds so beautiful

11 Likes

The sequel

5 Likes

Leaving BBC and “returning to Australia”. Big loss to BBC, no word on his Australian plans.

Used to be BBC Sydney correspondent. Married an Australian.

4 Likes

With Philip Williams having announced his retirement, I reckon the ABC should recruit Nick given his journalistic experience.

4 Likes

Also see:

1 Like

… fifty years ago the BBC (and the ABC in Oz) was part of “the establishment” … since then both organisations have been sliding down the slippery slope to rabid “anti-establishment” driven largely by people who call themselves journalists in their respective news departments for whom their own “agenda” is more important than honesty and integrity … this is but one example …

1 Like

:rofl: are we meant to take your bashing of the abc and bbc seriously ?

2 Likes

… unlike others here who just post their own opinions, however misplaced, my comment is based on witnessed facts, so no, it’s not “bashing” and, unless you have anything actually pertinent to add to the conversation, whether you take it “seriously” is of little matter …

The BBC should take some note of the outcome of the investigation of Diana’s interview. However I can’t help feel she knew what she was doing with this. Harry and Phillips responses to the investigation was over thr top to say the least. We can’t prove whether she did but if she did know she would hold as much as to blame as does the BBC. Her marriage was a sham I think everyone knew that.

1 Like

So you know nothing then?

1 Like

How’s BBC world handled this? I’ve flicked on a couple of times today and haven’t seen coverage of it.

I agree with Bashir. How could he be responsible for her death? I don’t think there is any correlation between the interview he had with Diana, of which she said - in her own words - “there were 3 of us in this marriage”. He didn’t make her say that. And especially, regarding her death - which was tragic and awful - how did he have any influence on the driver who was highly intoxicated and driving at excessive speeds? He had zero influence.

We need to move on from this story.

4 Likes