Australia's Funniest Home Video Show

4 Likes

I recall watching the 2010 season of this show when I was younger. It was sponsored by Pizza Hut at that time, so I have a lot of memories of seeing this ad through the show.

2 Likes

I watched the Toni Pearan hosted AFHV in the early 00s as a kid. Great entertainment on Saturday evenings.

2 Likes

The show was the best when Graham Kennedy hosted it. I thought Jo Beth Taylor was the best out of all the ladies that hosted it.

2 Likes

A show that was quietly cancelled in February 2014.

1 Like

I daresay that Australia’s Funniest Home Videos was cancelled because the internet had largely made this show redundant.

Really, why would you still wait for a 30 or 60 minute show each week (which towards the end, was probably more interested in plugging the sponsors than anything else) when you can instead go onto YouTube, type in “funny home videos” or “funny prank videos” and find many thousands, if not millions of clips?!

7 Likes

Agree 100%. But it would have been nice to have a proper send off instead of just disappearing.

3 Likes

The rise of technology made this show redundant.

You had to record your video using a camcorder and send it by post back in the day.

1 Like

And towards the last few years of the shows life they were having to resort to using funny videos from their archive to fill the gaps.

4 Likes

Indeed, who could ever forget how they blurred out the dates so it was hard for viewers to tell just how old the repeated clips were! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

“Australia’s Funniest Home Video Repeats”

Redundant technology in 2013 led it its show’s axing. A great 21 year run. Saturday night entertainment during the footy offseason filled in by the void left of HHIS.

AFHVS moved to Saturdays in 2000 until it’s axing in 2013.

Good memories of the family sitting down together on Saturday nights to watch AFHV.

A revival on television probably wouldn’t work in today’s market, but could a short and snappy Facebook Watch and IGTV version work (think The Latest but for funny videos). On the old show each montage of videos went for around one minute unless they played the odd single video. If they bring back Dave Gibson to do the voices it’ll be fun.

Could write and edit a week’s worth of 3-5 minute episodes in a day. Last episode of the week can announce the finalists (one video from each day that week) with viewers voting for their favourite in a poll, winner announced at the start of the next episode. Cash prizes would likely be smaller than they used to be but it’d be something.

5 Likes

I actually think this show would work in today’s environment. With so many people at home, it might be a nice little filler on a Saturday Night.

5 Likes

It was used to giveaway $250,000 to the winning video if they take out first prize on Grand Final Night.

1 Like

It’s still big in the US and took advantage of online, its Facebook and other social streams are massive.

The local version was mismanaged and never curated very well.

1 Like

America’s Funniest Home Videos is still going strong in 2021 despite the advent of YouTube, Instagram and TikTok

1 Like

A good, funny interview this morning on Nova 100 Breakfast with Ben, Liam and Belle with V/O Dave Gibson, who did all the hilarious voices and sounds on Funniest Home Videos.

Something I found interesting, even if it seems rather obvious, is he was asked if there were any videos that couldn’t be put to air. Whilst he acknowledged he was at the end of the process (post production), he said not just family friendly content level, but anything that resulted in death or injury/disfigurement could also not be broadcast.

1 Like

Yes that should be obvious, and probably go without saying.

Although it makes you wonder what videos were being sent in that might have been in that category?? Surely people were not submitting videos of that nature.

2 Likes

Of course they were and that is why the show Australia’s Naughtiest Home Videos was created… that ended well.

2 Likes