Australian Survivor

Look at The Bachelor, people said it was doomed from the start, and wouldn’t last a season. Yet it is a big show on TV.

No we are talking about in the last 5-10 years where they have had very few huge successful reality offerings. As I said Masterchef and Bachelor/ette’s but the rest have been a bit meh or mediocre performers. There are definitely more flops than success stories.

If I’m not mistaken, The Bachelor was a bit show on TV in 2015 primarily because Seven and Nine were battling it out (and failing at it) with Restaurant Revolution and The Hot Plate last year!

What other overseas shows has ten tried in the last 5-10 years?

I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! and somewhat Gogglebox and Shark Tank

Well I’m a Celeb has been moderately ok for ten.Certainly not a hit but far from a failure.
Shark Tank - the same
Gogglebox - I’d suggest is a hit.

I guess the flops have been (out of adaptions):

• So You Think You Can Dance
  • The Biggest Loser (although the first seasons were hits)

The Flops (non adaptions)

• Everybody Dance Now
  • Drag Show reality
  • The Renovators

I actually can’t think of many local adaptions that ten have tried that have failed - even when they air them multiple nights a week.

At the end of the day, hit or not, you can’t deny the high production values that Ten lends to most of its Event TV anchors.

Gogglebox was/is a hit…but only for Foxtel’s Lifestyle Channel. For Ten, I would probably only say that it’s been going moderately OK in the ratings against tough Thursday night competition (mainly The AFL Footy Show/Thursday night NRL on Nine).

That “Drag Show Reality” was actually titled I Will Survive and aired in 2012, although I probably can’t blame you for forgetting it!

Two other reality flops from Ten in 2012 worthy of the list (even if they didn’t air multiple nights a week) would have to be The Shire and Being Lara Bingle…sorry for bringing them up again! :wink:

Survivor Australia: Host Jonathan LaPaglia says role extremely challenging

Lots of details in the article about the production that started its 55-day shoot this week.

Channel 10, along with their production partner Endemol Shine Australia, are throwing millions into making the Australian version work, and they have spent a year planning and getting it right.

In total there are 156 Australians that have gone to the small Pacific Island nation of Samoa to work on the show, so many they have booked out the one luxury hotel in the capital city Apia for a couple of months.

Seems as if building of sets is well advanced

Production wise there are 16 cameras involved on the multiple sites across Samoa, and that includes gopro cameras and drones.

Tribal council looks impressive, it took seven weeks to create and includes hand crafted props that were made by carpenters.

Some comments on the previous Australian series

Australian Survivor has had two runs before, back in 2002 for Channel 9, and a celebrity version in 2006 for Channel 7.

Both rated OK, but the big criticism was that it didn’t look like the American version, it wasn’t on the same scale.

Both Tate and Newman said they have invested heavily to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

They also have the support of Castaway Television who own the format, with Castaway executive Julia Dick keeping across everything about the show, from casting to the location.

2 Likes

I’m surprised we haven’t heard much more about Survivor. It began filming in the middle of may so must only have a few weeks left of filming. They must be waiting for the series to finish filming to release any hints for the new season.

Just saw a ‘sneak peek’ promo for the show after the rugby ended. Didn’t look too bad with Jonathan introducing what the show is about with your typical Survivor-type shots of the castaways being involved in challenges featuring throughout

A pretty decent sneak peek aired tonight. The challenges don’t look like cheap and tacky versions of the US ones which is a positive. The contestants seem a little naive from some of their quotes ‘mateship is important’. I hope we get a few more manipulative characters.

2 Likes

First look promo

3 Likes

What a fantastic promo! Probably one of the best I have seen produced in quite some time on Ten.
Blue logo ruins it though. They should of kept the themed logo for the end,

1 Like

Video

3 Likes

Amazing first look. Looks really promising if the promo is reflective of the budget and scope of the show in general. That seems to be the key to success considering past attempts failed due to a lack of investment.

1 Like

Australian Survivor. - coming Soon To TEN And WIN Network.

The countdown to the highly anticipated launch of Network Ten’s spectacular and unmissable family entertainment series Australian Survivor has begun.

Hosted by Jonathan LaPaglia and set in the stunning and rugged tropical paradise of Samoa, Australian Survivor pits 24 Australians against each other in the ultimate test of survival.

A high school teacher, a criminal lawyer, a firefighter, a law student, an air traffic controller and a financial analyst are just some of the contestants selected from over 15,000 applicants.

Over 55 days, these driven and determined contestants must outwit, outlast and outplay each other to become the sole Survivor.

Part docu-soap, part competition, part human drama, Survivor is the world’s most talked about television program. It is the show that launched the reality genre of television programming almost 20 years ago and it remains the centrepiece of broadcasting schedules around the world.

Network Ten Chief Programming Officer, Beverley McGarvey, said: “The production of Australian Survivor is well underway and we cannot wait to bring this big, exciting and compelling new series to viewers later this year.

“Jonathan is a brilliant host. Samoa is a spectacular and challenging location. And our 24 contestants are amazing. There is no doubt that Australian Survivor will be one of the television events of 2016.”

Are we thinking with promos starting now that this will be ready to roll after the olympics?

I will admit a lot of the footage in the promo are very US Survivor style shots which I was impressed with. Although the second that they say ‘24 contestants’ and ‘55 days’ though it just puts me off.

I was thinking it might start as soon as Masterchef ends (not sure how close that is to the olympics). I’m thinking Ten will do Sun, Mon and Tues Survivor and Wed and Thurs Bachelor/Bachelorette.

Masterchef will definitely end close to the Olympics, so if they are going on a break for the Olympics they’ll want to start Survivor after them. And to avoid a week or two of dead time before them I think they’d want to run Masterchef up to a few days before they start on Saturday 6 August.