Australian Spartan

I’m not ‘singing his praise’ but he’s very well known to AFL markets.

I also don’t have a problem with Hamish, he’s professional and presents well enough.

Seven and Nine may have been smart by selecting Rebecca Maddern and Hamish McLachlan, when they easily could’ve found two presenters from Sydney. That’s all I’m saying.

And both networks selected presenters who aren’t very high profile - Eddie possibly the most well known nationally out of the bunch. Perhaps a new approach / test?

1 Like

Jesus are you serious with this shit.

He does not. He sounds like a strangled cat and is a sleaze bag.

Chill, it was just a thought.

Often networks try to find presenters and or contestants from various states, to play on the viewers patriotism.

As weird as that sounds, but ratings don’t lie.

Look at The Block and MasterChef, heavily inflated by Melbourne… Obviously due to tha aforementioned :+1:

Okay. Harsh. Your opinion.

1 Like

Scott Cam is from NSW? Shelley Craft from Qld?
Masterchef was filmed in Sydney for many seasons IIRC. The Block was too originally.

I can’t see 7 appointing a host for a major prime time show just to placate one market.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of Hamish but I can see why they have asked him to host considering he is their only real presenter that could host a sports program. Seven’s cupboards are limited with sports hosts unfortunately. It really does seem like a copy of Nine’s Ninja Warrior though. A bit desperate in my opinion.

2 Likes

Kylie Gillies? Mark Beretta? Ryan Phelan? There are plenty of names that could front a sports program. The three mentioned above are certainly way more qualified to host this than Hamish.

2 Likes

I don’t know any of those. Sorry.

Well now you know :wink: .

I looked them up and they are all from Morning shows and don’t seem to have a sports background. My point is they want someone with a sports background. understandable considering the show is about fitness and strength, right? There cupboards are thin with Sports presenters.

Edit: Sorry understand now they present sports programs on sunrise etc. I guess they could have been considered. I don’t know them, not sure how good they are and most of the under 55’s probably wouldn’t know much about them considering the morning show and sunrise attract mostly over 55’s.

Really? None of them are exactly newbies.

1 Like

Guess I have to fill you in a bit more…

Kylie Gillies used to be the sports presenter on Seven News Sydney, Weekend Sunrise. She was also involved in the Olympics coverage when Seven had the rights to them.

Mark Beretta is the Sunrise Sports presenter and also presented sports on Seven News for many years. He also hosted different sports coverage for Seven.

Ryan Phelan was the sports presenter of Sports Tonight many years ago, before becoming Seven News Sydney’s weekend sports anchor. He also presented sports on the Morning News and news The Morning Show and The Daily Edition.

If that doesn’t tell you these guys have a wealth of experience covering sports, I don’t know what will…

Quickly jumps out of thread before the mods storm in and flags post

1 Like

I have never watched Sunrise or the Morning Show. Shoot me now! But when I looked up Kylie I did realise who she was.

I am not doubting you at all. Never said I liked Hamish if there were better options great they could have went for them. As I said though perhaps they are looking for another market other than that that watches Sunrise or the Morning Show?

Knowing what these two shows are like these days (although moreso Sunrise than TMS), can’t really blame you. But that’s a debate for another time.

1 Like

Oi

2 Likes

Fair point.

But both shows have been blatently Melbourne orientated for a number of years now, you can’t tell me network execs wouldn’t expect to see the highest audience coming from that market (and I dare say hoped the Sydney audiences would be closer to that)?

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t Shelly lived in Melbourne for some time now?

Are you saying I’m unequivocally wrong?

I would have loved to have seen Kylie and Eddie host, what’s wrong with two female hosts?
Shame we are still stuck in the mindset of males needing to helm a “sports” program.

4 Likes

I agree, although like I said before Ryan Phelan should be hosting with Eddie. He’s a terrific talent who’s being wasted right now.

3 Likes

Agree. Unfortunately a network wouldn’t be prepared to take that gamble and if it failed the two female hosts would be to blame which would only further put this idea behind.

1 Like

Seven’s presser was disappointing, using ‘sport’ first when talking about Edwina’s career (and obviosuly Hamish’s).

Even though Edwina is a general news journo by trade :thinking:

Makes it seem obvious they want a heavy sport influence.

Luke, it’s a sports show.

2 Likes