Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

im gay and if i did marry my bf i would never marry in a church only if the church accepted same sex couples and before some people start there are churches that accpect same sex couples

4 Likes

If a gay guy walks into a bakery in Australia today and the baker says “I am not serving you as you are homosexual” that is illegal.

Businesses can discriminate but not on gender, race, religion, marital status or sexuality.

Allowing same sex couples to marry will have the same effect on Australia as when they allowed mixed race marriages. Nothing. Except for greater happiness for those who wish to marry but were prevented from doing so by people who like to interfere in the love lives of others.

With 50% of straight marriages ending in divorce it will be interesting to see if gay people can have a better success rate with the whole “for better or worse and this day onwards” promise.

2 Likes

Cory is obsessed with sexual acts between human beings. He even talks about animals and humans having sex. If there was a “sexual disfunction hotline - if you see something, say something” I would call it up and report Cory as being suspect.

People in the 1800s were making the same argument about slavery.

1 Like

I am sure the scaremongers were also active when indigenous people were given the vote.

2 Likes

The number of Australians who have voted in the same-sex marriage survey is approaching 12 million — 74.5 per cent of voters.

3 Likes

We’re getting close to the next stage of delaying the inevitable:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/pressure-mounts-on-malcolm-turnbull-as-60-per-cent-vote-yes-according-to-new-poll-analysis-20171025-gz7ohe.html

The growing likelihood of a clear “yes” verdict … puts the pro-change Prime Minister on a collision course with religious conservatives in his party room.

Bracing for defeat, they will step up the arguments for “free speech” and “religious protections”, both of which are seen by same-sex marriage advocates as code for legalised discrimination against gay couples and for the advocacy of sexuality-based discrimination in religious schools and churches.

Evan [sic] assuming a 100 per cent “no” vote from all of those who told pollsters they were undecided or refused to say which way they had voted, the combined polling and survey data point to a worst-case-scenario for the “yes” camp in the high 50 per cent range and potentially in the mid 60 per cent range.

But “no” campaigners within the Coalition party room see the parliamentary debate as their last best hope of either defeating the same-sex marriage push, or limiting its reach if it does become law.

It’ll be interesting to see those same MPs who claimed that people deserved a ‘democratic’ right to be heard now claim some right to ignore an overwhelming result from this survey.

2 Likes

It’s sad that so many still think this way. Given this no wonder the postal survey no campaign has been so nasty.

1 Like

Now at 77% returned.

Same-sex marriage survey update: 12.3 million Aussies have voted

But I bet you most of those that believe that would be older religious adults as well as the majority of the muslim faith.

2% of the Australian population is Muslim, so it’s pretty disingenuous if not Islamophobic to single them out. Migrants who grew up in Asia and moved here are also by-and-large homophobic, and make up a bigger portion of the population than Muslims. Why not mention that?

1 Like

Probably because it was an international survey and there were higher proportions of people referred to in the middle east (where Islam is predominant) and Asia.

1 Like

From one of the sensible Christians.

5 Likes

Another great piece from Fairfax Media’s Mark Kenny:

1 Like

https://marriagesurvey.abs.gov.au/results/img/Response_infographic.gif

7 Likes

Thank fuck that’s over. What a dark mark on Australian history that was…

Abbott and Bernardi’s “silent majority” as minor as ever…

6 Likes

I think I might know why the NSW vote is so low: Some particularly high “No” votes in Western Sydney, including Blaxland (which politically, has always been a safe Labor seat) with 73.9% of people there voting No.

Such a great result. I went down to the Victorian State Library for the announcement down there. The atmosphere was amazing.

I was there with one my best friends, who has been with his boyfriend for 12 years. I’ve been with mine for almost 9 years. I’m confident that by the end of the year we will be able to choose to get married if we want too.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yasss!!!

2 Likes