Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

Now 67.5% returned.

1 Like

Trans person allegedly attacked by a No campaigner. This is why I didn’t want the plebiscite.

Why are so many people wearing badges? I didn’t think many people wore badges anymore. It seems all the violent extremists wear vote yes or vote no badges though.

Meanwhile, more from eggs from the yes side as well.

And this interesting one too - check out this page, only if you’re not in Australia though as for some reason it was mysteriously banned from within Australia last night. This is also after reports the other month of those who were telling people to enrol to vote getting their accounts locked for a week or a month because they were saying it was ok to vote no, meanwhile newsfeeds everywhere were flooded with the yes propaganda.
https://www.facebook.com/votenoaustralia

Yep, there will definitely be no censorship in Australia for anyone with a different opinion. There will definitely be no requirements for churches or religious institutions to carry out same sex weddings - as soon as one tries they will be taken to the anti-discrimination commissioner straight away just like the ones that have already been referred simply for saying what they believe.

All religions in Australia are exempt from anti-discrimination laws. No place of worship will be forced to marry a same sex couple.

There are many women in Australia who are Catholic - they cannot become priests and they cannot take the church to court on discriminating against women. The same way that men cannot become nuns. Or a muslim cannot apply to be a priest or rabbi.

Some religious schools refuse to hire gay teachers. Indeed many protestant schools will only hire protestant teachers.

Religions have always discriminated and they will continue to do so when same sex marriage is made legal. I suppose religions have an exemption from all local, state and federal anti-discrimination laws is because nearly all religions are based upon discrimination against non believers and many (but not all) actively discriminate against women.

5 Likes

Or even marry a heterosexual couple:

Or this today

https://twitter.com/TimPMatthews/status/921910446138855424

As a Christian who voted Yes, actions like these are disappointing to see but I assume that they are in the minority as I think most Christians are in support.

4 Likes

The influential members of the major churches certainly aren’t.

We certainly wouldn’t be kicking anybody out for voting yes or voting no but those laws will be changed in the next few years. Anybody who disagrees will be taken to the tribunal and once a precedent is set it will be carried through.

Stop scaremongering, mate.

4 Likes

No worries, within the next 2 years it will be before the courts/parliament/commissioner or wherever. What the decision will be I don’t know, but it will be disputed next.

I couldn’t get married in a Catholic church or a Jewish synagogue as I’m neither of those persuasions, I wasn’t discriminated against.
I’m afraid you’ve fallen for the nonsense spread by conspiracy nut jobs.

4 Likes

So you’ll honestly tell me that when a gay couple try to get married in a church and are turned away because the church doesn’t want to do it they won’t pursue it further as discrimination? When currently they have already taken the Tasmanian Archbishop to the commisioner for simply publishing his views on marriage or when churches cannot currently turn away any LGBT rally or event if they have their building also used as a function centre. There have also been other discrimination complaints when schools or churches have published in their newsletters what their views are.

I gather that any such couple would prefer getting married in a church that’s welcoming rather than pursue one that doesn’t want them.

7 Likes

And not go for one where they can get as much media attention and show how evil they think the churches are? You obviously haven’t seen how militant some of these people are and they just want to destroy anything religious, anything to do with the nuclear family ideology etc… They’ll target those churches first to make an example, same with the baker examples, happy to destroy other people’s businesses and livelihoods simply because they don’t agree with them.

The sky is not going to fall in. It hasn’t happened in any other country that has passed the law and it won’t happen here.

8 Likes

So gay couples aren’t just wanting to get married but are really media whores willing for attention?

No i haven’t. Not once. And gay and religious don’t have to be mutually exclusive. There are plenty of gay people who are religious and also have no intention to destroy the family unit… i think allowing them to marry actually strengthens the concept of family.

5 Likes

What a load of crap from Trumpland.

People are destroying their own businesses if they’re refusing genuine paying customers.
What next, do you want people to be able to refuse black or Asian customers? Women?

And as the vast majority of people support marriage equality many potential customers probably wouldn’t like a business that refused their family or friends or people they know.

PS: It’s that sort of scaremongering bullshit that only serves to confirm people’s negative views of religious organisations.

7 Likes

Nice to see that you think that most LGBT people are drama queens that are out to destroy your way of life. Do you really think that LGBT people want even more of a spectacle made of their human rights even moreso than the postal survey already has?

Typical “gay agenda” scaremongering rubbish that comes straight from the playbook of the extreme right and the very worst of the american evangelicals. (the same ones that have funded a majority of the No campaign).

3 Likes

I never said most, just some and if you can’t see that is already happening then there’s nothing I can do about that. All I’ve said is wait and see what happens, the discrimination laws will get challenged in the near future once the law is passed.

That’s it I suppose, however it’s 2017 and both the anti discrimination act and sexual discrimination act continue to have religious exemptions. Why do you think marriage is going to be a completely different ballgame to workers rights when it comes to the freedom to discriminate? Where are all these LGBT people (I suppose the same “militant” ones that would try and force a church that doesn’t want to marry them) that are going around applying for jobs with religious organisations and then crying foul in the media when they don’t get hired?

3 Likes

Oh how ridiculous…

Cory Bernardi does not accept there will be an overwhelming “yes” vote in the same-sex marriage postal survey, with more than 70% of forms returned.

So much for these right-wing nutters saying that we all must accept the people’s view.