Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

That’s strange, I thought local, state and federal electoral rolls updated each other.

Lol the No campaign has started sending out autogenerated SMSs now too. Even comes with a neat little video. Swift condemnation from the usual suspects on here or just grumpy silence?

Also I love this article.

1 Like

Just disappointment, I haven’t received a yes or no one yet at all. How am I supposed to be able to get outraged when they don’t give me a chance?

2 Likes

You need to get a more easily generated number. Apply for 04 0000 0000.

1 Like

That one’s not actually far off! I do have an 0400 one which I’ve had nearly 15 years and a couple of zeroes!

1 Like

The ACMA were meant to begin releasing the 0500 000 000 number range this year after all the 04 numbers were exhausted.

Why would ‘the usual suspects on here’ condemn the mass unsolicited text messaging, when the Yes campaign has tried so hard to justify the same tactic in the first place?

As I said before, I’ve seen many Yes supporters going on social media calling people snowflakes, telling them to “just delete it and move on” when they’ve complained about the first batch of unsolicited text messages from the Yes campaign. Alex Greenwich tried to justify the mass messaging by saying it’s just a standard campaign tactic.

I’d say that now that the Yes campaign has effectively said ‘mass unsolicited text messaging is OK’, there is absolutely no valid reason for people to kick up a stink when the No campaign does the same.

It reminds me of the Wicked Campers standard response to people who complain - “If you don’t like it, don’t read it”

So with the text messages, “If you don’t like them, don’t read them”

3 Likes

While in principal I agree “vote yes” versus “vote no” should be treated equally, as previously noted it’s a bit different when a spam SMS (or other message/ad/etc.) is advocating (continuing) discrimination, especially to those who (through no choice of their own, remember,) are the subject of this discriminatory law.

This is a problem with this public survey & associated campaign/‘debate’.

PS:

I wish they’d allocate them already; I see the 04 numbers are being put back into circulation too quickly and people getting a new SIM are getting SMSs & calls directed to the number’s previous owner.

PPS:

No supporters were everywhere concern trolling about their privacy after the first batch of yes messages. I haven’t really been paying attention but it will be interesting to see what they say now their campaign is doing the same thing.

Perhaps they don’t disagree with the way the message is sent, but rather the message, and if they do disagree with the message they should be open about it. They wanted this debate.

1 Like

There are plenty of yes supporters more than a little pissed off that unsolicited text messages were used to promote the cause. I had never received a political text before Saturday. The robo-calls during election time and assortment of other unsolicited calls via landline phone is the reason I disconnected when the NBN came to my area. People, particularly those over 35, take a dim view of spam being sent directly to their phones.

I’m more upset by the appalling behaviour of some yes campaigners damaging the campaign. Such a pity this “debate” has been hijacked by extremist bullies. Wouldn’t be surprised if this turns into Australia’s Brexit or Trump victory because yes campaign bullies are driving the support they had to the no side.

3 Likes

People wanted to repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act to supposedly protect freedom of speech but now they want to ban someone from performing a song because they don’t agree with the message.

1 Like

I have lived in the same place for years, and have voted in the council and Federal elections in the last year- this is really strange!

It was really my own fault - I never actually updated my details directly with the AEC but got a letter from them after updating my details with the RMS when I moved earlier this year indicating that they had received my new details and updated the roll. It’s been a few years since I last moved so I figured they had some great new integrated system which had done everything for me and the issue didn’t cross my mind again.

I threw the letter out so can’t go back and read through it again but when I check my enrolment details online it says that difference in legislation mean that I’m enrolled to vote in state/local elections at my current address (this is what was confusing me because I had no trouble doing a postal vote in the recent local elections which I was overseas for) but not for federal elections.

So really it’s my fault for not paying close enough attention but it seems to me like the system is setting people up for failure. You already have a hundred different things that you are trying to update and sort out when you move house and getting a letter saying “your details have been updated” pushes that item off the to do list.

Might be a case that is unique to NSW but IMO they should either update all your enrolments or none of them.

What utter rubbish and I’m shocked that it’s coming from you of all people.

Who are the real bullies? The gays fighting for marriage equality or those who continue to deny them the same rights as everyone else? I attended a SSM march on the weekend an there were plenty of normal people expressing their opinion in a normal way

I’m getting tired of the utter nonsense of the no campaign, claiming they’re the victims from their privileged position. Welcome to the real world where you have to fight for the merits of your ideas rather than just shove them down the throats of others.

5 Likes

+1, maybe it’s our rubbish pollies that got us into this state, and ruining many lives.

2 Likes

The debate has been hijacked by extremist bullies on both sides but the extreme behaviour of the yes campaign is certainly getting much more negative media coverage. I don’t see any evidence of no campaigners claiming “they’re the victims”. People simply want to express their view without being intimidated or labelled as hateful or homophobic.

Matlock, you grew up in a much more permissive and accepting era that affirmed the naturalness of homosexuality. I’m very glad society has evolved so much during my lifetime because I witnessed some ugly stuff growing up in a more conservative time. You need to accept and respect the fact that people still have strong, traditional views about the meaning of marriage because of the era they grew up in or religious beliefs. I’m aware of older gay couples who have voted no because of their conservative, religious beliefs towards the use of the word “marriage”.

There are other ways we can ensure the equality of same sex partnerships without disrespecting those with deeply held traditional views.

uh oh

1 Like

What do you say about Tony Abbott, who designed this stupid plebiscite idea and then bitched all over Sky News and 2GB that this was all a mistake and that it’s 100% the fault of the Yes campaign?

Both sides have gone to the extreme, but you surely can’t be blaming LGBTQI and allies for going to the extreme? I myself have probably swung very extreme as a result of this whole process, but only because I and a lot of my friends in the gay community feel absolutely violated by the fact that our rights are being put up for a non-binding survey.

Do you realise how humiliating that would feel?

So don’t blame us. Blame the conservative politicians who engineered this farce and unleashed an anger in the community they couldn’t control. This was entirely preventable, and we warned them about it, but they did it anyway so here we are. Congratulations conservative politics.

3 Likes

I made this:

8 Likes

looks like Abbott’s call to ban a song at the NRL backfired with that song now reentering the charts and now climbing. :joy:

Also this:

The ex-PM’s daughter, who this month came out in support of same-sex marriage, posted a gushing review of Macklemore’s song ‘Same Love’ which he’s set to perform at the NRL grand final this Sunday, much to the chagrin of Tony Abbott and fellow ‘no’ campaigners who don’t want the song to be played.

3 Likes