Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

I got one and wasn’t happy about it. Nothing pisses me off more than intrusive campaigning/advertising through door knocking and unsolicited phone calls and texts. I don’t understand why the Yes campaign can’t see that such aggressive tactics are turning people off their cause.

1 Like

I got one and don’t give a shit because I’m not that anal about something I can delete in seconds (note that I haven’t).

6 Likes

I got one and I don’t give a shit either.

The No campaign used skywriting the other day, which is pretty fucking intrusive too. Didn’t care then.

4 Likes

+1 I would send a Ground To Air Missile to shoot that rubbish down…

2 Likes

I value my privacy and I’m very careful about who I provide personal information to. That includes my phone number. I don’t live my life through social media accounts and my phone, like many young people seem to, so I’m going to question how and why I receive unsolicited correspondence. Some people thrive on the number of people who want to contact them and have a need to constantly be in touch with others to feel relevant. I’m the opposite. If I don’t have an association with a person, business or organisation either personally or through my work, I don’t want to hear from them.

Number prefix generator.

You have one of those?

1 Like

No it’s not intrusive. If the yes campaign did this you would have been like yay go yay team! Sorry. But if you can’t lie with the fire and eat the chicken by it, don’t call the kettle metal without fact. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I got the text, no biggie, just an automated text. More concerned about this ad popping up in this thread!

5 Likes

Haven’t you worked out how to install AdBlock yet?

2 Likes

Never thought about it. Happy to see content for free if it means a few ads.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what you personally think about the unsolicited texts. It matters what the people you’re trying to influence think.

If you already agree with same sex marriage, of course you’re not going to mind a text message being sent which reinforces your viewpoint.

If you don’t agree with SSM, it will anger you that these people have texted you and it won’t have an effect.

If you are on the fence (i.e. the people these texts are targeting), you’ll be pissed that these people have somehow gotten your number.

And that’s the thing - you don’t win people over by sending them unsolicited text messages. Have you ever thought positively about a company or organisation that has marketed via unsolicited text messages?

Now that so many people on the Yes side are claiming that it’s perfectly OK to use an auto-dialler to send mass text messages (calling others who complain ‘snowflakes’ etc), I expect them to be fairly quiet when the No side does the same and sends a text message to all phones in Australia saying “Protect the children. Vote No!”

1 Like

Next will be all the robo dialling calls.

Exclusive footage of said auto dialing: https://youtube.com/watch?v=J-inCB3POqs

4 Likes

I sometimes get them on this forum, that’s maybe because I look up LGBT+ subreddits.

Heh, I kinda wish :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe we can crowdfund one from Rocket Man…

1 Like

Yeah I don’t like spam SMSs either, regardless of the cause, and think this may have been a mistake on the Yes campaign’s part (I’m no expert), but I think those who’ve been advocating a plebiscite/survey can’t exactly be taken seriously now if they complain about it & the associated annoyances of a public campaign.

2 Likes

I find the whole need for campaigning a bit odd. We got the form, ticked or crossed a box, sealed it up and posted it next time we went out. Would many people be hanging onto their survey forms waiting to be swayed by campaigning?

2 Likes

But many people could have received the letters at home and couldn’t be bothered filling out the survey. I guess they want to appeal to those people.

1 Like

In Surry Hills (Sydney) some group have put stickers on the garbage bins on Crown St. It reads:

“Official Post Box For “No” Vote Surveys”

Clever.

4 Likes