Australian Ninja Warrior

I don’t think it’s the type of show that can sustain an audience several times a week over an extended period.

It’s very one dimensional - its just people doing an obstacle course, there’s no sub plot or direct battles with other contestants so you get egos or rivalries between contestants like you get with “The Block” or “My Kitchen Rules”.

1 Like

When the article says international specials, does it mean inviting past contestants from overseas versions to compete against the locals?
The show has made the front cover of TV Week, New Idea and Woman’s Day this week.

Paul Cashion was the name of the deaf guy, I know the rules are there for everyone, but this broke my heart. They played his inspiring back story, saying he wants his achievement to inspire other deaf people and to fail, it definitely pulled some strings. Maybe they shouldn’t of shown his story since they knew he had failed?

It’s not about succeeding, it’s about trying!

Watched it last night and that whole palaver was unnecessary. Could have let the poor guy maintain a bit of his dignity at least…

3 Likes

There looks to be some contriversey for ANW as contestants of the show tell Fairfax that there was no drug testing for the competition.

Article: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/reality/australian-ninja-warrior-contestants-werent-screened-for-drug-enhancements-20170718-gxdlsk.html

Just out of curiosity, how high do we think Ninja Warrior will go?

There’s Sunday, Monday & the GF on Tuesday remaining.

Could it get 2m (metro)? :smile:

I’d expect at least one night to get around 600k+ in both Melb & Syd.

The audiences are ordinary in Adelaide & Perth though (whereas they’re historically bigger for Seven & Ten realities in recent years), which might be the only factor stopping them.

MKR, House Rules (and probably MasterChef) have failed to achieve that this year!

Otherwise there’s only The Block (which may not get that high again - it did last year & MasterChef in 2015). Maybe the Olivia Newton John telemovie?

Final might have rated better on the Sunday. The highest rating episode was on the Sunday a good 300k ahead of weekday.

Would have enabled them to go nuts with promos between Wed-Sat, massive buildup to what I think is going to be a 2.2m+ finale

1 Like

Is it that sort of finale though?

Where it attracts like double the audience just for that night or the winner announced (e.g.) MasterChef & The Block

If it does get that though, what an amazing result for Nine.

They’d surely turn it into a proper full-length series, it’s more than “event TV” now, it’s already at the MKR levels seen last year / 2015.

They could stretch it out for 4 weeks but I’d be careful at over doing it. This show could go on for a decade if they keep it sweet and short.

Once a year, 3 weeks at 1.5-2m a episode. I think they could maintain that for a number of years. Advertisers will be lining up next year.

1 Like

Very big statement.

MasterChef is at 10 years next year & MKR 9 years.

Both those shows have had seasons with normal episodes over 2m & finales over 3m (the former 4m) - metro.

Ninja Warrior is no where near there yet.

I doubt that its going to rate at this level past next year though. How many times can you watch people running the same or slightly different course before it gets repetitive?

2 Likes

I agree. Treat it as a mid-year springboard, maybe even condense into a massive two weeks and run it 4-5 nights a week with a big Sunday finale. Its value as a sporting style event leading into The Block and other things is way bigger than its value as a standalone show.

1 Like

I think he is right though. Viewers like the short seasons that keep them wanting more. Shows like MKR and Masterchef become tired because they drag. 10 episodes from Ninja Warrior a year and it could easily go for years.

1 Like

But you know Nine won’t let it just run for three weeks s year. Wouldn’t even be surprised if they rushed another season to air before the end of the year. It’s what they do. And if not the end of the year, then to launch next year.

5 Likes

I know. They will ruin the show for sure. Its a pity because if they kept it like this could you imagine the damage and launching pad it would give at this time of the year. Masterchef has been run into the ground because of it, in what is its strongest week normally.

1 Like

Preach. I was over ANW 20 minutes into the first ep for this reason.

Also, I had a quick bit of a read some of the international versions of of Ninja Warriors online and apperantily, to beat the show and win the prize money, a contestant needs make it to the finals phase and beat 4 courses (the final course being a 22m (75 ft) rope climb that they must do in 30 seconds.)

It might sound like a small thing but I don’t know if viewers will react well to something that may end with no winner. There is a chance that some people could get turned off by this format as it leads to an unsatifying ending of the show with no resolution.

So how does this show work? Finishing the course doesn’t put you through to the next round?

Not if you’re not in the fastest 18 to do so. Sucks for him, but they’re were plenty of "during the break, these people made it through’ 10 second snippets. Not everyone can be the star of the show.

1 Like

Maybe if they didn’t focus on all the hurd luck stories so much, they could show all the other competitors too.

2 Likes

The Australian reports today that season 2 will be filmed at Cockatoo Island in December, with a rebuilt set. It also hints at some kind of international special.