Australian Ninja Warrior

I don’t understand why Bec Maddern would state that the prize money would be increased to $300,000 next year if Nine hadn’t confirmed a 3rd season.

That should have been edited out last night.

If Nine doesn’t want to renew the show, perhaps Seven or Ten should step in and buy the rights.

If their argument for not renewing is because of ratings, then I don’t think either Seven or Ten will be interested (although Ten does have lower standards compared to the other networks so I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a go).

3 Likes

Could Royal Melbourne Showgrounds be the next filming location for the show?

Problem is there are homes on the northern side of Melbourne Showgrounds across Langs Road, so noise will again be an issue.

1 Like

I’m not sure how late filming goes but they’ve had many music festivals and things there, although all the ones I’ve been to all ended at 10pm so I guess that must be the noise curfew. However I doubt Ninja Warrior is anywhere near as loud as some of the music festivals I’ve been too like Stereosonic / Future Music Festivals which you could hear the music play from miles away.

When the show took place at Cockatoo Island, filming were often in late nights and not finishing until around 1-2am, that’s why the organisers made overnight camping compulsory for the public in season 1 and optional in season 2.

Been meaning to bring this up, so, with Ninja’s collapse in the ratings (based on the previous year’s season average), it was mentioned here and on media websites that no doubt Nine would’ve promised advertises close to what it delivered in 2017 (1.4-1.6m metro, not the 700-900k it did in 2018).

Has anything come out about this recently? Or more so, any keen eyed Nine viewers here noticed regular ads in other programs who were a sponsor of the show?

Most of the sponsor brands for ANW advertise in other shows anyway, they were hardly ANW exclusive advertisers so unlikely anyone will have noticed an increased ad schedule for those companies all the time. That’s if they were compensated. And the big advertisers have special deals through agency anyway that gives them filler ads or different runs.

As for ‘promising’ advertisers that a show would reach certain numbers, that’s a highly risky business strategy. They would have sold/promoted ads using last year’s numbers but I doubt specific numbers were ‘promised’ given the fickle nature of the industry.

2 Likes

Sunday Herald Sun reports the show is definitely moving to Melbourne, with filming for season 3 taking place in December as were the first two seasons which were in Sydney.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/melbourne-wins-the-race-for-ninja-warriors/news-story/f4f2df8e34f22ade464b4dd40f2f33f5

2 Likes

AUSTRALIAN NINJA WARRIOR

MOVING TO A NEW HOME IN MELBOURNE

Australian Ninja Warrior has captivated the nation for two seasons and today it was announced that Nine’s smash-hit program will be returning in 2019 for a groundbreaking third season at its new home in Melbourne.

The third Australian season of the worldwide phenomenon will thrill audiences with never before seen elements on a recharged course. Viewers will be holding their breath as competitors tackle new challenges and showcase their unbelievable strength and determination once again.

Rebecca Maddern , Ben Fordham and Freddie Flintoff will be back to take viewers through every jump, leap, heart-stopping victory and heart-wrenching fall. Fan-favourite Ninjas will return to compete alongside fresh faces who have been inspired by those who have braved the course before them.

Nine’s CEO, Hugh Marks, said: “With a relocation to Melbourne, Australian Ninja Warrior will return with brand new, breath taking elements, taking this remarkable show to a new level of awe-inspiring entertainment for Australians of all ages.

“There will be more excitement, more phenomenal challenges, more heroic Ninjas and more high-quality family viewing.”

The move has been made possible with the support of Visit Victoria.

Nine Melbourne Managing Director Matt Scriven, said: “It is with great excitement that we welcome Australian Ninja Warrior to Melbourne. We take great pride in all the shows that are produced here and we can’t wait to have one of the greatest shows on Australian TV right on our doorstep.

To have the chance to be part of the audience and watch this season of Ninja Warrior live in Melbourne, register your interest now at AustralianNinjaWarrior.com.au

2 Likes

Perhaps they should rename it Ninja Resurrection, because it’s going to need a miracle to be successful next year.

5 Likes

I have a feeling that Sully may convert to become a huge fan of Ninja in Season 3.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ah yes, when people think about iconic Australian shows - they immediately think about Australian Ninja Warrior.

Give me a spell…

7 Likes

Highly unlikely.

1 Like

But it’s on their doorstep. Obviously Visit Victoria thinks this is a better investment than the Logies? Seems odd to pay for something that was probably relocating there anyway.

My criticism wasn’t about that but ANW being described as “one of the greatest shows on Australian TV”

I realised that. Sorry, I was just adding to the diatribe.

Williamstown is the new location. There are quite a few large parks around the esplanade but that are all near houses? Otherwise Botanic Gardens has a large lot of land near it.

1 Like

Or the West Gate Bridge :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Glorious, peaceful thing LOL Maybe they could have contestants rappel down rope off the freeway or something.

Edit: Think that’s actually Spotswood but near enough.

Phillip Island would be good.