Australian Idol

I think Seven are dragging Idol’s auditions and episode run time too much, last night would have had a lot sampling (after the promos) and feel last night was also stronger than tonight.

I reckon they’d be worried by its key demo results last night and surely lower metrics across the board tonight and as the week goes on.

Clearly: A) not retaining viewers looking at the VOZ reach vs average, B) skewing older and broadcast especially regional (vs Nine and 10’s younger, bvod and metro - not that we know the latter for sure but a guess based of previous established patterns and the bvod which is provided and C) online and social trends and talk.

Seven are lucky they are Seven… Their VOZ share and audiences were good, but as aforementioned and we know why, it’s total people. Their national footprint (stations/TV assets) and Over 55s especially Over 65s, particularly Perth and regionals do all the heavy lifting. I guess whether Idol’s a success or not in 2024 will be its margins to Nine/Married and certainly 10/Survivor more so in the younger age brackets. Wonder what they promised advertisers and on what metrics, you’d imagine/hope not big numbers, but they’d have tried for ‘competitive’ figures given last season and their network image in general.

1 Like

Amy’s audition clean sweep

Broome retail worker claims her place in Australian Idol’s Top 30

Tonight on Australian Idol: The second day of auditions attracted thousands of hopefuls from around the country, but only five artists managed to convince tough judges Kyle Sandilands, Marcia Hines and Amy Shark that they have what it takes to make the Top 30.

Broome’s Amy Reeves scored a Golden Ticket and fulfilled a childhood dream singing for Marcia, whom she met as a young child while attending a Hair reunion with her late father, who was a crew member on the musical.

Singing Aretha Franklin’s (You Make Me Feel Like) A N atural Woman, the 24-year-old said she was “addicted” to singing as it made her feel closer to her father.

“He championed me,” said Amy. “Sadly, he passed away when I was 15. I know he’s always with me. I can feel his presence when I am singing.”

Amy Shark described Amy’s audition as “incredible”, while Kyle tipped the Western Australian’s future success in the competition.

“That is the best audition I’ve seen of that song. I will be shocked to the core if you are not in the Top 5.”

Joining Amy in the Top 30 will be 22-year-old Queensland camel farmer Trent Richardson, who impressed the judges with Bless The Broken Road by Racal Flatts; former Sunshine Coast lifesaver Tyler Hammill, 21, who wowed with his performance of Lonely Boy by The Black Keys; 19-year-old Queensland budding pop artist Natasha Rose who nailed Selena Gomez’s Hands T o Myself ; and 19-year-old Victorian Cynthia Negash, who performed the Etta James classic Something*’* s Got A Hold O n Me .

Watch performance highlights:

Amy Reeves, 24 WA - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, Aretha Franklin

Cynthia Negash, 19 VIC - Something’s Got A Hold On Me, Etta James

Tomorrow night: It’s day three of auditions and Amy makes a contestant’s dream come true, Kyle heads to the town of Sandilands, and the song Valerie proves to be a choice that doesn’t sit well with the judges.

1 Like

There does seem to be some acknowledgement at last from execs that they need to scale back on the number of nights shows air, but seemingly no realisation that episode lengths are a huge problem too.

1 Like

Can Drea from WA go all the way?

Four more hopefuls one step closer to Australian Idol dream

Tonight on Australian Idol: the third night of auditions saw judges Kyle Sandilands, Marcia Hines and Amy Shark award four more Golden Tickets in their search to uncover the nation’s next singing superstar on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Drea Onamade’s high energy take of Estelle’s American Boy captured the judges’ immediate attention, securing a coveted spot in the Australian Idol Top 30.

The 25-year-old from Perth shared: “I get my love of music from my family. I am Nigerian Jamaican, having that culture behind me is absolutely incredible.”

Amy said: “You can sing, you’ve got style. I can feel this aura. You are going to be really hard to beat.”

Marcia agreed: “I like you because you bring joy, and that’s what music gives people.” Kyle declared the star-on-the-rise: “current, cool and beautiful.”

After progressing to the next round, Drea shouted: “I can do this. I got a Golden Ticket! That’s so wild!”

Also handed a Golden Ticket on the night was 20-year-old Victorian Jake Carlson for his emotional version of I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz.

Amy recognised: “There were nerves, but I think I would buy every single ticket to any show you ever played, and I would buy every album. You’re amazing.”

Queensland teen, Saoirse Harding, delivered a haunting take of I Love You by Billie Eilish, proving to Kyle that the 19-year-old was “everything an artist should be”, and securing her a Golden Ticket.

Self-taught singer and dancer, 28-year-old Jonathan Wells, declared: “I need to be in this industry, in this world. I have to, it’s my calling.” His performance of Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake convinced the judges the Victorian might have what it takes, handing him the final Golden Ticket of the night.

But the search didn’t stop there, as Kyle hit the road in the search for a wildcard, travelling to his namesake town of Sandilands, South Australia.

“I’m looking for little nuggets of gold and I thought where do I start the search, where is the gold going to be? The town of Sandilands, as if we’re not going to find a star there,” Kyle said.

After auditioning three hopefuls at the country fair, Kyle invited 21-year-old Seanna Farrow back to Australian Idol headquarters, but with a more competitive talent pool than ever and only 30 Golden Tickets, the Sandilands local headed back home.

Watch performance highlights:

Drea Onamade, 25 WA - American Boy, Estelle

Jake Carlson, 20 VIC - I Won’t Give Up, Jason Mraz

Saoirse Harding, 19, QLD - I Love You, Billie Elish

Sunday night**:** With almost half the Golden Tickets gone, can a humble young man’s unique voice propel him from the streets to the Top 30? With only 17 places left, the fight for a spot in the competition has never been tougher.

1 Like

I’m not loving the ‘come back at the end of the day’ thing. It really takes away from the ‘YOU’RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!!!’ thing.

1 Like

“YOU’RE GOING TO SYDNEY, erm, hang on, you’re already in Sydney. Oops.” :laughing:

1 Like

Nevertheless, enjoying it much more this year so far. Marcia is a great addition, such class and authority. Kyle has been tolerable. Amy has settled in well for her second year.
And some outstanding voices!

6 Likes
1 Like

Honestly, who cares?

Watching the encores of the first two episodes on TV tonight (will catch the third episode on 7plus this weekend).

First thing I notice is new on-screen graphics for auditionees. Too bulky, worse than last year.

1 Like

What do you mean? As in the below?

Before delivering the judges’ decision on the golden ticket, Kyle mentioned he met Seanna in Minlaton. A Google search found that Kyle went to Southern Yorke Peninsula Show, which was held in Minlaton on October 4 last year. The Facebook page of SYP Agricultural Society has more photos from the day.

Trolley pusher ready to roll on Australian Idol

“One of the best vocalists I’ve heard for a long time”

Tonight on Australian Idol: Week two of auditions kicked off with incredible performances as six more artists received Golden Tickets and one newly minted Top 30 artist received the surprise of a lifetime from Sam Fischer.

NSW trolley-pusher Isaac McCallum earnt a Golden Ticket after his take on Bruises by Lewis Capaldi left its mark on the judges.

Marcia Hines said: “I think you’re one of the best vocalists I’ve heard for a long time.”

Kyle Sandilands added: “That was totally not what I expected. You’re a rough diamond.”

Isaac, 23, from Burrill Lakes revealed: “My childhood was a little rough, living in housing and that sort of thing. I was homeless for six months. It was pretty crazy.”

What kept me going at my lowest was my singing and my family, they’ve always been there for me. I am 100% ready to stop pushing trollies and I’m ready for that big stage.”

Brisbane high school student Jet Cameron,16, received a shock when Sam Fischer walked on stage during his performance of the artist’s hit This City. Conquering two dreams at once, the teen sang with his hero and progressed to the Top 30.

Joining Issac and Jet in the Top 30 is 28-year-old single mother Bethany Byrne, who performed Afterglow by Ed Sheeran to prove to her daughter you can chase your dreams. Also along for the ride is 21-year-old hip hop dancer Kym Miaco, whose “buttery and smooth” voice on PYT by Michael Jackson impressed the judges; and Jesse Lazaroo, a busker Amy Shark discovered performing Talking To The Moon by Bruno Mars while travelling to Fremantle, WA.

Tomorrow night: The judges have already handed out 18 Golden Tickets, and the battle for the final 12 spots kicks into overdrive. Who will complete the Australian Idol Top 30?

Watch performance highlights:

Isaac McCallum, 23 NSW - Bruises, Lewis Capaldi

Jet Cameron, 16 QLD - This City, Sam Fischer

Is Seven trying to deceive viewers? Although it keeps showing Allianz Stadium as Idol HQ, the judges’ auditions actually took place at the SCG next door, in the rebuilt M A Noble Stand. The make up room which looks out to the SCG playing surface gives it away.

Also, did it re-record one of the auditions during the day? When she performed, the outside looked quite dark with the lights on.

A reality show that is anything but real? I never knew that!

2 Likes

I had a closer look tonight. Looks light Allianz stadium internals to me.

Kyle changes his tune on country music

Four more Top 30 singers shine on Australian Idol

Tonight on Australian Idol: judges Marcia Hines, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark faced their toughest decisions so far as the star-making series continues to shine on Channel 7 and 7plus.

With only 12 Golden Tickets left and a slew of super singers ready to make their dreams come true, a record 10 artists were put through to final deliberations, with four awarded a life-changing spot in the coveted Top 30.

Country music star-on-the-rise, Denvah Baker-Moller, even changed Kyle’s mind about the genre with her rendition of Pony by Kasey Chambers.

Kyle admitted: “I was never a fan of the country music genre, but my mind has been changed on this because there’s quite a few good country singers coming through the door. And if I like country, that’s almost a miracle. That’s how good they are!”

Named after John Denver, the 23-year-old from Rockhampton, QLD beat out four other fierce country competitors to progress to the Top 30.

Kyle declared: “You really have a good chance of taking this right through.”

Three more Victorian contestants received Golden Tickets tonight: 18-year-old Gab Hester, whose “awesome tone” on the Men at Work classic Down Under impressed; 25-year-old tradie and young dad Jackson Smith, with his signature rasp on Ed Sheeran’s Closed Eyes; and backing vocalist Jess Chalmers, 24, who showed she’s ready for the spotlight with her high-energy version of Domino by Jesse J.

Tomorrow night: With only a handful of Golden Tickets left, one voice stops the judges in their tracks.

Watch performance highlights:

Gab Hester, 18, Victoria - Down Under, Men at Work

Jackson Smith, 25, Victoria - Closed Eyes, Ed Sheeran

On a wing and a Prayer

Young artists’ Golden Ticket dreams come true on Australian Idol

Tonight on Australian Idol: the second last day of auditions saw the most outstanding crop of singers yet, as nerves almost sabotaged the chance of a lifetime, a teen showed talent way beyond her years, and a family band broke rank.

For 23-year old Prayer Corby from Humpty Doo, NT, her dad Doug wasn’t just a good-luck charm, but part of her band.

“Dad is my best friend,” said Prayer. “He’s my Australian Idol.”

After finishing her audition of Big Jet Plane by Angus and Julia Stone, Prayer admitted: “I wasn’t as happy with that performance,” but judges Marcia Hines, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark were not left unimpressed.

Kyle shared: “As much as you were disappointed, I thought it was beautiful.” Amy agreed, recognising Prayer’s “beautiful tone.”

Marcia’s wise words resonated as she recounted: “A large part of being a musician is connecting to an audience. When you make a mistake keep it to yourself.”

On receiving her Golden Ticket and spot in the Australian Idol Top 30, a shocked Prayer said: “I’m just a little bit in awe of it actually. I did not expect it.”

Kiani Smith, 17 from Bribie Island, Queensland, earned a Golden Ticket after her unique performance of 2002 by Anne-Marie.

Amy acknowledged: “It’s pretty scary that you are that good at this age!” Kyle agreed: “I am 100 % behind you.”

The three remaining Golden Tickets of the night went to 24-year-old Kobe White from Victoria, who worked hard to overcome his nerves on Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars; 23-year-old Olivia Britton, also from Victoria, who rocked the stage with I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry; and 20-year-old singer Eli Parr, from Brisbane, who was the sole family member to receive a Top 30 spot after auditioning alongside his two brothers and cousin singing Story Of My Life by One Direction.

Watch performance highlights:

Kobe White, 24, Victoria - Just The Way You Are, Bruno Mars

Eli Parr, 20, Queensland - Story Of My Life, One Direction

Tomorrow night It’s the final day of auditions, will it also be the day that unearths Australia’s next music superstar?

1 Like

I have watched the previous eight seasons of Australian Idol, and I can’t remember so many members of one family auditioning in front of the judges at the same time, as was the case with the Parr family in tonight’s episode.