Australian Idol

They have said that from the start - for this week as well.

Very deceptive. It will probably catch on.

1 Like

Like I’ve said before, all networks talk about “live streaming” when there’s nothing live at all, it’s just like being on relay.

2 Likes

I think it’s a bit of a stretch also. I guess they have to be different to the MAFS and Survivor ads, somehow. I guess they’re getting ready from day 1, and once the live editions do air, the “watch live” tagline will be sketched in our minds, and more will tune in? I dunno.

1 Like

I’ve liked the bits where we see Scott and Ricki-Lee with contestants. They need to include more of this.

4 Likes

It’s absolutely deceiving, though it hasn’t had any effect on numbers.

2 Likes

Tonight was the first night I’ve noticed it.

I’ve been enjoying the show. A good mix of the good and bad. HCJ has been quite… hard in moments too. Very much the ‘evil’ judge compared to Kyle. He’s been very placid so far.

1 Like

Yeah me too. A great mix. I feel like in the old days when Sandilands was on. It felt he was too judgey. This year he feels like calm and collected. But has some harshness to it.

2 Likes

From the streets to stardom

Australian Idol hopeful reveals her inspiring story

The Australian Idol auditions ramped up tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus, as our star judges Harry Connick Jr, Meghan Trainor, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark gave out golden tickets to eight talented Aussie singers.

Sydney school student Amelie Matthews’wowed the judges with her rendition of I Don’t Want To Be You Anymore by Billie Eilish. Amy raised concerns that the 15-year-old may be too impressionable for the competitive music industry but relented giving Amelie a golden ticket.

Surfer Sash Seabourne from Margaret River spun Whitney Houston’s classic I Wanna Dance With Somebody on its head, delivering Kyle exactly what he was looking for: “Something refreshing, something exciting, something that’s different from everything else we’ve seen. I’m super pumped.”

Hitting the road, Amy popped in to visit 19-year-old Noah Cookson in Mackay, Queensland. The heartthrob was torn between becoming a rugby league player or a musician, but after one too many head clashes, he hung up his footy boots and has devoted his life to music. Singing Coldplay’s Yellow, Noah gave Amy goosebumps, as she declared: “Not only am I giving you this [a golden ticket)]but I think you could win this thing.”

Dance teacher Jasey Fox tried his luck in the audition room, putting his glam rock filter on Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. Overcoming his nerves, he pictured the judges naked before belting out a powerhouse performance that left them all floored and secured his spot in the competition.

From loving Australian Idol as a kid, to having a kid of her own, Bundaberg mother Michaela George tried her luck singing Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato. Her unexpected vocal range left the panel flabbergasted, with Harry exclaiming: “You’re real sweet, but I bet if you make it through, there is going to be this other side to you, where you’ll say ‘You’re gonna have to get outta my way’.”

Full-time musician Isabella Vicente revealed she previously lived on the streets, which resonated with Kyle, who was also homeless at one point in his life. Reimagining Chris Isaak’s Wicked Game, Isabella received four “yes” votes. “You found something that kept the integrity of the song, but it was completely different from Chris Isaak’s version. I dug it,” Harry exclaimed.

Paramedic Jess Crossman proved she is ready to revive her music career, as she auditioned with You’ve Got The Love by Florence + The Machine. Meghan thought she was too similar to Florence, but Harry disagreed, saying: “I really dug it. You’re just off the path enough to make me really like you.” With Kyle and Amy agreeing with Harry, Jess was granted a golden ticket.

Inspired by her culture, Noora H took to the stage to perform an acoustic version of Sia’s showstopper She Wolf. After a nervous start, Noora pulled it together to show the judges why she could be the next Australian Idol. Kyle said: “We’re not just dealing with nerves of auditioning, you’re representing people you don’t see a lot of on TV.” With Harry saying “no”, Noora’s fate lay on Meghan’s sequinned shoulders. “You pulled a uey. At first, I was like ‘oh no!’ but then I was like ‘oh yes!,” said Meghan, before giving Noora her golden ticket.

See tonight’s audition highlights :

Sunday night on Australian Idol: A nervous Tessa Noll auditions for the judges. Will she follow in the footsteps of her famous uncle, Australian Idol legend Shannon Noll? Amy Shark travels to North Queensland to dig up some of Australia’s untapped talent.

Australian Idol 7.00pm Sunday. Continues 7.30pm Monday and Tuesday on Channel 7 and 7plus

3 Likes

From the network that has spent the last year saying overnights no longer matter. Bet all three network chiefs were sat in their office waiting for them Tuesday morning - still the best early indicator of how a show is doing, even if a show can subsequently double it’s audience.

The +7 day figures will be interesting but think of the three Idol less likely to pick up an audience.

2 Likes

I am enjoying this reboot. I have not sat and watched a talent show for quite some time as I can’t stand how over the top and fake they mostly are these days. There is still some of this here (e.g. when they go visit someone’s home it seems to be somoene handpicked and a guaranteed yes) but for the most part I am enjoying seeing judges that are keeping it real.

The issue is always the length. Last night was about 15 mins shorter than other episodes this week which made a big difference. I always find I’m losing interest towards the end as there’s only so long you can sit and watch auditions which become a bit repetitive after a while.

5 Likes

I find it too safe and a bit bland. The judges don’t seem to want to fight for talent they believe in; I recall they used to be arguments about who to let through in the earlier season. Kyle hasn’t really delivered. The home visits seem unfair and a big time filler.

Wednesday ratings are pretty dire - Seven must be hoping for a big number on Sunday to get the averages up.

4 Likes

Doesn’t that element come in after the audition rounds when the Top 50 goes to the Top 24 and then the Top 12?

1 Like

They used to try to get yeses out of the other judges with 3 needed.

I wonder if Seven could consider re-editing the upcoming episodes to included more auditions reducing the time given to each. Checking out the Sunday episode and 15 minutes in there had only been 2 auditions.

1 Like

I tend to agree with this comment and this applies to pretty much all of Seven’s talent shows like AGT and The Voice. So many times we see 4 chairs turn or 4 yesses from judges, and when it comes to the bad acts, it was always a brush past and no emphasis put on it to create those hilariously embarrassing and viral moments that have made the likes of Britain/America’s Got Talent known globally.

Where are the hilariously bad acts with the arrogant and egotistical twits that seem to have their arses up their nose when performing and the judges not holding back at these sorts of acts? I want to see more of that rather than the same predictable stuff of everyone getting through with 4 yesses and blah.

4 Likes

Q3/Q4 with the final in late November when it was on 10 would be a better slot.

2 Likes

Are they gonna do the full weeks repeat this Fri/Sat night like usual?

2 Likes

Yes

2 Likes

The way they have been doing it is very similar to the newer version of American Idol the past 2-3 years. I agree that it would be good if it was a bit faster paced. There are times where they skim through contestants but that is usually only the bad ones.

2 Likes

Touchdowns are returning for the three Top 24 shows.

3 Likes

Good to see heritage reflected with the touchdowns return which were a fan favourite during it’s original run.

2 Likes