Australian Idol

When Idol was on 10, it was always aired in the second half of the year. All seasons starting in July or August, with all seasons finishing up in November.

Back then, the show ran for approx 4 months. Pretty much a month of auditions and the top 24, (with a possibly top 50?). Then 12 weeks of the top 12 + Grand Final.

I know that the tv landscape has changed since. These days, the early episodes drag on, and the final episodes (like the top 12 or semi finals etc like other reality shows) seem to be overly rushed. Quite the opposite to “the good old days”.

Personally, the show should have aired later in the year, when there’s nothing in the cupboard over on Seven, apart from Cat and Dogs videos, Mrs Browns Boys and whatever other filler they have.

3 Likes

I agree, but what would be more controversial than MAFS in this day and age? Maybe if they made Big Brother as controversial as the UpLate days on 10, but it would be a hard challenge.

2 Likes

Part of me wonders if Seven sacrificed the Olympics knowing that the Winter Olympics will screw up the MAFS scheduling in 2026 and open the door for the competition.

2 Likes

2026… that’s a VERY long time away in this ever changing FTA landscape. If the landscape remains the same in 2026, 9 could just bump MAFS or the Olympics to a multichannel and allow it to run it’s course as normal.

5 Likes

Agree with that completely - said it before but think that the only thing that will result in MAFS’ downfall is viewer fatigue.

Having said that, it’s unconscionable for Seven and Ten to cede the first few months of each ratings year to Nine and not attempt to topple MAFS.

3 Likes

Only two episodes for top 50 but three episodes for top 24? That doesn’t make sense, especially given what David posted the format of the top 50 last October:

The top 24 is as per this weekend’s filming schedule with two sessions already taken place on Friday and yesterday, and one session today to decide the top 12.

1 Like

Seven have only released rough cuts so far, but that isn’t how the slows title “top 50” are structured. There are definitely only 2.

1 Like

It’s definitely how it happened in real life though.

50 artists do not sing in front of a live audience for “Top 50 week”.

1 Like

The second of the "top 50 " episodes is the top 32 with an audience. So all the eliminations mentioned without an audience are in the first episode.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s correct.

So basically it was set over the three days and the 50 contestants were told if they made it to the 30 (32) they’d be performing in front of a live audience on day 3. Basically the family and friends didn’t know if their artist was even going to get through until late Tuesday night and the performance was the next morning.

2 Likes

Seems very deceptive social media post from Seven. Since the top 50 is tomorrow and even that doesn’t feature a live audience. I can’t see way other than to interpret the post to say that live audiences start tonight.

1 Like

It’s not deception, it’s flat out lying. It’s not right that they can get away with this.

6 Likes

What a dog promo. Says live at least 5 times (and almost always in relation to an audience) and then the “some will rise and some will fall” and the fainting thing at the end is just plain disgusting.

2 Likes

They mean watch it play out live in the time slot… rather than streaming it on catch up. As the target demo don’t really watch most shows live on linear FTV these days.

1 Like

Not that bit, I’m fine with that bit. The promos all week have very very clearly said Top 50 week starts tonight, in front of a live audience. That just is simply a flat out lie.

It’s auditions tonight and 50 down to 32 tomorrow. The live performance airs Tuesday.

There’s no twisting that above promo. It’s blatantly lying.

4 Likes

Let’s hope social media picks up on it tonight. #where’stheidolliveaudience

3 Likes

And it isn’t just someone making a mistake posting to social media; the similar promo is running today on air. The Live audience is here…

3 Likes

The Top 50 are set

Brothers steal the show on Australian Idol

The final night of Australian Idol auditions were cause for celebration as the all-star judging panel gave out the final tickets to the Top 50.

First to claim a Golden Ticket was 15-year-old Perth student, Phoebe Stewart, whose quick and phenomenal vocals during Adele’s The One and Only left the judges floored.

Brothers from the Hawkesbury region, Cooper and Spencer Turnbull, auditioned separately but both managed to lock a place in the Top 50.

While 20-year-old Spencer embodied a suave Michael Bublé for his rendition of Sway, it was 18-year-old Cooper’s uncanny similarities to a young Harry Styles during his performance of Fallin’ that left a lasting impression on the judges.

Kids party host Jasmine Vanua lived out her Dreamgirls fantasy as she auditioned with And I Am Telling You from Idol megastar Jennifer Hudson. However, Meghan was not sold on the 18-year-old’s song choice, and asked her to perform a different song before the judges granted her a Golden Ticket.

Another musical theatre fan who made their way to the Top 50 was 16-year-old Layla Schillert from Newcastle. After Layla belted out Miley Cyrus’ The Climb, Kyle responded with: “You are the first person who actually has star quality. I think you are exactly what I am looking for.”

Kyle wrapped up the regional road trips with a stop in Crookwell, NSW, to visit 25-year-old fish and chip shop worker Mariah Keramianaki. Mariah performed Proud Mary on the counter while Kyle watched from the shop floor before granting her a Golden Ticket.

Stopping next in Canberra, Kyle met young dad Harry Carman, 26, who’s impromptu audition of I Don’t Want ToBe by Gavin Degraw wowed Kyle and landed him one of the final Golden Tickets.

21-year-old Melbourne social media manager Tahlia Pizzicara brought her large Italian and Maltese family to her audition, where she performed Ariana Grande’s One Last Time. While Meghan was unsure if her song choice was the right one, she gave her the final yes needed to proceed to the next round.

Finally, 19-year-old Bunbury op shop worker Lucy Smith was the final Golden Ticket recipient in this year’s competition. With a haunting rendition of Pleasure and Pain by the Divinyls, the judges were moved by her artistry, claiming they couldn’t wait to see what her first album looked like.

See tonight’s audition highlights :

Spencer Turnbull – Sway by Michael Bublé

Jasmine Vanua – And I am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson

Layla Schillert – The Climb by Miley Cyrus

Mariah Keramianaki – Proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Harry Carman – I Don’t Want To Be by Gavin Degraw

Cooper Turnbull – Fallin’ by Harry Styles

Phoebe Stewart – The One and Only by Adele

Tahlia Pizzicara – One Last Time by Ariana Grande

Monday night on Australian Idol: Marcia Hines headlines an epic week of Australian Idol, where the Top 50 will become 24.

3 Likes

So can anyone tell when when is a live episode (ie filmed at the same minute I am watching!) actually is on next?

I was reading someone earlier in this thread about live shows being filmed prior for editing?

1 Like

Top 12. I think the performances are filmed Saturday and aired Sunday? But the results shows on Monday are live LIVE

1 Like